Seravalli: Changes are coming to the Calgary Flames this summer “Pre-eruption of volcano”

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Is there any chance Calgary can rebound with this team next year and this season was just a result of adjusting to the losses of Tkachuk and Gaudreau? Because those were demoralizing even with their new additions, I can see that ruining their hopes for a year.
I think there’s a slim chance we can rebound, as long as we don’t get Huberdeau’s worst season since 2013, Markstrom’s worst year of his career, Mangiapane’s worst year of his career, Tanev playing injured all year, Kylington taking the year off for personal reasons, Andersson doesn’t get hit by a car, most one goal losses, worst/second worst OT record, most posts, least comebacks, worst shooting percentage, most…

Reactions: Boomstick

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The next year is a golden opportunity to bring in an ungodly amount of picks and prospects.

Ownership needs to understand that this is not a group that is going to win a cup but they can get there fast if they do what's necessary. Bad luck and goaltending aside, at some point the mushy middle cycle has to end.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think they will be solid NHLers, but the guy was talking about top 6-10 picks

The Flames definitely need some top picks to rebuild soon
Agreed. I see Pelletier and Zary as middle 6 guys. Coronato as top 6 with Toffoli being a comparable. There's no top players in our system except maybe Wolf.

Hanifin should be priority #2 to extend this summer. Why wpuld trading him help the team in the short run?
Agreed mostly. Depends on the contract ask though. If the number starts with a 7 I'd move on from him. I think he's a better player than people give him credit for, but we need to get value from him either through a value extension or by getting assets back.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Every team makes changes, even Cup winners. Flames will likely miss the playoffs but Huberdeau struggled to adjust to his new club. He will be back to normal next season and then the Flames will be better.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ledge And Dairy

Agreed. I see Pelletier and Zary as middle 6 guys. Coronato as top 6 with Toffoli being a comparable. There's no top players in our system except maybe Wolf.

Agreed mostly. Depends on the contract ask though. If the number starts with a 7 I'd move on from him. I think he's a better player than people give him credit for, but we need to get value from him either through a value extension or by getting assets back.
I would be perfectly fine giving him the Weegar deal or similar. He's a similar player to Pulock in both style and skill so I would base it around that deal

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I find it almost impossible to believe how bad this year has been for Huberdeau. I believe he'll bounce back next season and be much better.

Maybe CGY should be selling. But I think fans are too quick to demand a rebuild. CGY did a cool thing by re-loading after JG left. I don't think they'll just blow it up after one season of the new core.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Flames have a great roster (on paper). Get Sutter out of there and see how they perform in more of an offensive system. If that doesn't work then go nuclear.

Reactions: BHD

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Good grief. A lot of the glass is half full crowd.

This year's edition of the Flames was rebuilt with with at least four major changes from the start of the year.

Subtract: Monahan, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Gudbranson, and Kylington. That is two 40 goal scorers, a former 30 goal man (multiple times), and shutdown D man (who was very good paired with Zadorov), and an elite skating d-man that enabled an effective transition game.

Add: Huberdeau, Weegar, Kadri, Stone (to full time).

The Flames team performance metrics are more or less the same as the previous year and lead the league in one goal games, most of which they either loast or the bonus point was awarded to the other team.

The team was basically kicked in the gonads and has had to recover. First, GM Treliving made lemonade out of lemons acquiring Huberdeau, Weegar, and Schwindt from Florida. Huberdeau and Weegar have had to learn a new conference, division, and team and there has been a long period of adjustment.

Huberdeau has underperformed this year, but is learning to play a sound defensive game. His offence will return and I do not have any worries about him going forward (although his salary is a concern). Weegar has been a stud on the blue line once he acclimated. I think he is going to be Giordano 2.0.

Kardi had a career year last year and there is a lot about his game I haven't liked this season. I think it is all in his head as he goes through a 'storming' phase about his place in the locker room. He hasn't been as good defensively as I thought he would be, offensively he tracking to his career average. Again, too much money for my taste.

Combine the above with Markstrom's under performing play this year and you have a team struggling to make the play-offs.

For next year, I don't see any volcanic eruptions unless you see a change of management. BT's contract is up and that may be the ideal time for a change. If that happens the new GM (could even be DS again) may or may not want wholesale changes.

For cap management reasons there will be some changes where the team promotes and backfills from the prospect pipeline.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The craziest thing is that they could still make the playoffs. Usually teams blow it up when they're in the basement. Does any of this change if they go deep in the playoffs?

Reactions: Chainshot

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I would be perfectly fine giving him the Weegar deal or similar. He's a similar player to Pulock in both style and skill so I would base it around that deal
Yup, that would be fine. Anything that starts with a 7 has no value in it. Better to trade him at that point. He's the right age for a LT deal at least. Not 32 like Kadri or 30 like Huberdeau. I hate Norman so much for forcing Treliving into those stupid contracts.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Since when Phillips is as good as the top 10 pick? Coronato, Zary and Pelt are Ok prospects but they are not blue chips neither
When did I say they were blue chip? I said they were likely better than what you'd get from a pick 10th or worse. Blue chip prospects typically come in the top 4. Sure you can get lucky and pull one at the 10+ range but that's not the norm. In that range you're typically looking at guys with serious NHL potential who are most likely to be solid depth guys or lower end top line forwards.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Hanifin should be priority #2 to extend this summer. Why wpuld trading him help the team in the short run?
Because he's not that good lol. He's an average 2nd pairing dman. If he can bring back a top-6 F or 1st+, you take it and run. He is replaceable.

Weegar, Kylington, Zadorov down the left side and then Poirier for years to come. Trading Hanifin would barely hurt this team next year (Kylington can replace him directly) and we can bring back a 1st or top-6F. That's a huge win in terms of maximizing the value of our assets.

You'd be comfortable paying Hanifin 6.5? Even 6? That is way too rich for a #3 LD with limited offensive upside. I don't hate Hanifin but that money should be better spent elsewhere. Boston can't afford Grzelcyk at 3.6875 past this year and just signed Hampus Lindholm (who is miles better than Hanifin) to 6.5. Kings just signed Mikey Anderson (a similar 2nd pairing LD) to 8 years at 4.125. Golden Knights just signed Brayden McNabb for 3x2.85. Colorado signed Girard (coming off of a better season than Hanifin has ever had) 2 summers ago 7 yrs 5 mil. Morrissey (who is miles better) at 6.25. Cernak 5.2x8.

Even Pelech (who is a legit top-pairing D, significantly better than Hanifin) got 5.75 after playing on the top-pair leading his team to back to back ECF's.

Contract-wise, something between 5-5.5 is fair value, anything more than 5.5 is too much. And even at 5.25, he's still a replaceable asset. Kylington (and eventually Poirier) should step into that 2nd pair LD spot at a much cheaper price and provide similar value. Not saying we should let Hanifin walk for free, but if he's bringing back a 1st or similarly-aged top-6F that's a great move for our team.
That is an absurd overvaluation of Hanifin. Pulock is a 1D who anchored a D core to back to back ECF's, within one game of the Cup Finals. Playing over 22 mins a night, anchoring the PK and playing top-pairing night-in night-out. When Tanev went down in the playoffs last year our whole D crumbled and we added Weegar to shore up the left side. Hanifin is currently probably our 4th best dman, arguably 5th if Kylington were in town. Pulock as a comparable isn't even close. Better comparables are McNabb, Mikey Anderson, and (on the higher-end) Girard. I bet if you ask Isles fans if Hanifin and Pulock are comparable they'd laugh.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
When did I say they were blue chip? I said they were likely better than what you'd get from a pick 10th or worse. Blue chip prospects typically come in the top 4. Sure you can get lucky and pull one at the 10+ range but that's not the norm. In that range you're typically looking at guys with serious NHL potential who are most likely to be solid depth guys or lower end top line forwards.
No you said outside of top 6 and you included Phillips, that’s ridiculous.

None of them have shown anything to move them into the top 10 even in their own draft

Except for Phillips, they are good prospects but you are overrating them big time

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No you said outside of top 6 and you included Phillips, that’s ridiculous.

None of them have shown anything to move them into the top 10 even in their own draft

Except for Phillips, they are good prospects but you are overrating them big time
I made two statements. I did they have some good prospects you'd not see outside of the top six. I then or Phillips on a list outside of the top 10.

Yes I think Coronato and Pelletier could go 6-10.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I get the feeling that all the smart people in this thread have short memories.

I swear many were calling Treliving the executive of the year before the start of this season.

Did anyone ever eat crow this entire time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad