Confirmed with Link: Chad Johnson Signs One Year $1.7m

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
There is no GP requirements for goalies, so they do not have to be an NHL goalie. That would be an absolutely ridiculous thing to ask because then teams would essentially 2 NHL goalies signed and probably 10-15 teams won't.

I am not saying it for that reason. You misinterpreted what I mean. Should look back to what I said in an earlier post. My point is it wouldn't be bad to extend both if they both have done well. Why start from zero again? And you have to have a guy signed into 17/18. Not saying it has to be both, but let's say Elliot is the guy they extend and they lose him... well then you're back to square 1 all over again. Not saying it has to happen now, but knowing both goalies and what they are capable of, based on what history has shown, it's not a bad idea to have them both secured if things look promising. That's all. Anyway... I was going by what a poster said. They were angry they weren't signed through to the next season because of the expansion draft.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I am not saying it for that reason. You misinterpreted what I mean. Should look back to what I said in an earlier post. My point is it wouldn't be bad to extend both if they both have done well. Why start from zero again? And you have to have a guy signed into 17/18. Not saying it has to be both, but let's say Elliot is the guy they extend and they lose him... well then you're back to square 1 all over again. Not saying it has to happen now, but knowing both goalies and what they are capable of, based on what history has shown, it's not a bad idea to have them both secured if things look promising. That's all. Anyway... I was going by what a poster said. They were angry they weren't signed through to the next season because of the expansion draft.
I have no doubt that the Flames will extend Elliott. Johnson was signed to a 1 year deal in hopes Gillies will be ready to step up next year.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
I have no doubt that the Flames will extend Elliott. Johnson was signed to a 1-year deal in hopes Gillies will be ready to step up next year.

Just saw you have a guy as your bumper. Nevermind. Hey, I am still learning about my new love, the Calgary Flames. I have been a fan somewhat for years, but now I am really invested in the team. I should be! I just splashed a bunch of money on Calgary merch. I even have Gaudreau's first rookie playoff gamer (first game and the entire away games)... Gaudreau's first goal puck from his rookie season (not of his career (cause he scored it in Winnipeg (lucky me (am I doing this multiple brackets thing, right (is it even a thing))))), and Sam Bennett's last rookie goal puck of the season. I am looking to get a Tkachuk this year, that's of course if he makes the team. If not I'll wait until the year he does.

I have become a Flames fan because I <3 Gaudreau and have followed him since right after you guys drafted him at 132 lbs! And was really into Sean Monahan and Sam Bennett in their draft years. You guys got them both. So it seemed appropriate this is a team of interest. And I love Tkachuk because he's married into my family (his wife is cousins to my uncle), and well I am a Winnipeg Jets season ticket holder. So I have an interest in the Tkachuks from the early 90's. And I grew up being a fan of Theo Fleury and Al MacInnis. Even have family in Calgary and have visited the great city multiple times. So you guys will have to put up with this guy because you'll be seeing more of me from now on.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
And I figured with Gillies coming up, he's Calgary's potential answer to Pittsburgh's Murray and Winnipeg's Hellebuyck, so I understand why Johnson was signed for the length he was. I wouldn't be surprised if either or both goalies still get extended. I love both guys and couldn't be happier for Calgary... Ben Bishop would have been nice... but he also is going to cost you. So getting Elliot and Johnson who IMO both have starter upside and good ages, are great right now. And then there is Gillies. I am really liking how this team is coming around.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Now this is a sold signing. Goaltending should be solved this season. Both goalies have had above average numbers recently. No way both Johnson and Elliott fall off a cliff.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
Now this is a sold signing. Goaltending should be solved this season. Both goalies have had above average numbers recently. No way both Johnson and Elliott fall off a cliff.

It could potentially. It's also dependent on who's behind them and if they are on the edge of the cliff. So chances are very unlikely... wonk wonk.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
Just saw you have a guy as your bumper. Nevermind. Hey, I am still learning about my new love, the Calgary Flames. I have been a fan somewhat for years, but now I am really invested in the team. I should be! I just splashed a bunch of money on Calgary merch. I even have Gaudreau's first rookie playoff gamer (first game and the entire away games)... Gaudreau's first goal puck from his rookie season (not of his career (cause he scored it in Winnipeg (lucky me (am I doing this multiple brackets thing, right (is it even a thing))))), and Sam Bennett's last rookie goal puck of the season. I am looking to get a Tkachuk this year, that's of course if he makes the team. If not I'll wait until the year he does.

I have become a Flames fan because I <3 Gaudreau and have followed him since right after you guys drafted him at 132 lbs! And was really into Sean Monahan and Sam Bennett in their draft years. You guys got them both. So it seemed appropriate this is a team of interest. And I love Tkachuk because he's married into my family (his wife is cousins to my uncle), and well I am a Winnipeg Jets season ticket holder. So I have an interest in the Tkachuks from the early 90's. And I grew up being a fan of Theo Fleury and Al MacInnis. Even have family in Calgary and have visited the great city multiple times. So you guys will have to put up with this guy because you'll be seeing more of me from now on.
:handclap: Welcome aboard to the Flames board!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm really excited for Johnson. He seems like a great and humble dude, last season he posted awesome numbers, I think he was a solid pickup.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm really excited for Johnson. He seems like a great and humble dude, last season he posted awesome numbers, I think he was a solid pickup.

By the sounds of his interview yesterday with the Fan, this guy wants to be a starter and is going to be pushing Elliott I think.

Honestly, I think it's why BT have him the one year deal. Go out and show me you can be better and be an elite starter; I'll have no issues extending you with pay.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree Volica, he's not a sexy name but he's been putting up the results. He's right in that age for a goalie when he's hitting his prime years, he could have some upside still. Like, he might be Elliot 2 years ago.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree Volica, he's not a sexy name but he's been putting up the results. He's right in that age for a goalie when he's hitting his prime years, he could have some upside still. Like, he might be Elliot 2 years ago.
but his touchdown celebrations are among the best ever

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
I'm embarrassed to admit this but I didn't realize Chad and Brent Johnson were two separate people. I realized it when I looked up Chad to see if him and Elliot ever crossed paths in St Louis. That's when I realized....

sgl679d.jpg

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I honestly don't think Reimer is much better than Ocho. I am curious to hear what Rob Vollman thinks about it. He loved us getting Elliot.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
By the sounds of his interview yesterday with the Fan, this guy wants to be a starter and is going to be pushing Elliott I think.

Honestly, I think it's why BT have him the one year deal. Go out and show me you can be better and be an elite starter; I'll have no issues extending you with pay.

Absolutely wants to be a starter, and a good number of Buffalo fans felt he was better than Robin Lehner last season. Which when the schedule became grueling, he was the better of the two, and he ended up as the only guy with a winning percentage on the team, while everyone else was sub .500. That tells you a lot right there. He has the size, athletism, and calmness of a starter. He is as humble as humble pie. He doesn't think he's above anyone (that's the personality he gives off), but he has the confidence and desire to be a starter. He rocked his last year in College as the top goalie in the Nation on a meh team, he has had a very good NHL resume so far. I can't see why he won't push/challenge Elliott for the job. I think Calgary is in a good position to have them both locked down to 1-year contracts. With Gillies as the future, I guess it comes down to how well he develops in the A, and how they both do... because it could be one or both who get extended as a result. But as a guy who has followed him closely. Laugh, I had him in a keeper league, so I stayed to the guy like glue following his games ... and he was trending very nicely. Outside of a rocky October (again, hate to beat a dead horse), but that team had two-thirds of its new top-six forward core not play beyond the season and a new coaching staff, well adjustments will be made. Once there was he posted some of the best numbers by a goalie at .928, post-October.

And when given the reigns of a starter, he took to it well. And Elliott has never been more than a 40-45 game guy. He won't be as protected as he was in St. Louis. I wouldn't be surprised if both guys are close in games and bring up their compete level. It should be a very nice competition. A 1a and 1b showing. Who the 1a and 1b could be is anyone's guess. Obviously, Elliott is going to get the first stab at the reigns, but don't count Johnson out. Either way, I like both guys and you're a much better team by adding them.

I am actually surprised by GMTM that he didn't resign Chad. He let him go. He doesn't have a good gage on certain players. Robin Lehner plays too heavy and thus gets injured a lot as a result. He also was badly concussed before he went to Buffalo and has had reoccurring problems. He also has a bad temper. Like epic bad. He's done nothing to show he's the guy. But this is the same GM that over paid for Evander Kane and Zach Bogosian and after a year and a half later, he wants to move them. lol

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad