Proposal: CGY - MTL

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
That’s not exactly the definition of speeding up the rebuild for Montreal. Anyway, value is definitely there for Montreal but Hughes said the goal next year is to make the playoff, so I don’t really how that trade help us
The goal is to see what happens and not to make the playoffs at the expense of the long term goal. If a trade or signing is there though they may make the move without sacrificing the long term goal…

Which is drafting high as many times as possible
While also being competitive might in and night out

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Nothing really. Caproom not a problem in Montreal. They rebuilding. Gallagher is a solid veteran bottom 6 for us
From an outsider, I would think the rebuild is close to finished. 6.5 is alot to pay for a bottom 6 guy, you could better use that $ in FA for a top 4 D. You also have the draft capital to be able to trade a overpaid contract.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
From an outsider, I would think the rebuild is close to finished. 6.5 is alot to pay for a bottom 6 guy, you could better use that $ in FA for a top 4 D. You also have the draft capital to be able to trade a overpaid contract.

Rebuild is far from over, only the tanking is over. Gallagher does not pose a problem for the habs cap situation and like him as a veteran on their team. Yes he's overpaid, but it's not an issue and moving assets to fix a non-problem is counter productive.

Those assets could be better used elsewhere.

Reactions: viceroy and pth2

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Rebuild is far from over, only the tanking is over. Gallagher does not pose a problem for the habs cap situation and like him as a veteran on their team. Yes he's overpaid, but it's not an issue and moving assets to fix a non-problem is counter productive.

Those assets could be better used elsewhere.
OK, maybe a discussion though this time next year.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
No really, Gallagher kind of like a warrior for us. He's overpaid, 16 goals. But Montreal has so many rookies we can carry his contract. We were 8 million under cap this season without putting Dach or Dvorak on LTIR.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I understand you're saying you need the high end cornerstone piece. I'm saying you don't understand the draft. You don't automatically get one of those at #5 and not one at #9. The best player in the 2011 draft was a 4th rounder. The best player in the 2010 draft was a late 2nd rounder. There are tons of examples of this. We got the 2nd best player from the 2015 draft at #6.

Getting #9 this year and another top 10 pick the following year is far more valuable than drafting at #5 this year for odds of getting a cornerstone player.
Respectfully, if you're going to tell people that they don't understand the draft, you at the very least should have your years and rounds correct.

The best 2nd rounder from 2010 was Justin Faulk.
The best 4th rounder from 2011 was Johnny Gaudreau. Great little player but not as good as Kucherov who was drafted in the 2nd round that year.

I'm assuming you were talking about Tkachuk. He was drafted in 2016. Calgary drafted Rasmus Andersson in 2015.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Respectfully, if you're going to tell people that they don't understand the draft, you at the very least should have your years and rounds correct.

The best 2nd rounder from 2010 was Justin Faulk.
The best 4th rounder from 2011 was Johnny Gaudreau. Great little player but not as good as Kucherov who was drafted in the 2nd round that year.

I'm assuming you were talking about Tkachuk. He was drafted in 2016. Calgary drafted Rasmus Andersson in 2015.
I was going by memory. The 2nd rounder I was referring to was Kucherov in 2010, I see it's 2011.
I knew Johnny was a 4th round in 2011, but thought Kucherov was in 2010, hence me saying he was the best player from that draft.
I was referring to Tkachuk, got the year wrong.

Details suck, so do sticklers. My point stands and is valid. Give me two 8th OA picks all day over one at 6OA in a below average draft year.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I was going by memory. The 2nd rounder I was referring to was Kucherov in 2010, I see it's 2011.
I knew Johnny was a 4th round in 2011, but thought Kucherov was in 2010, hence me saying he was the best player from that draft.
I was referring to Tkachuk, got the year wrong.

Details suck, so do sticklers. My point stands and is valid. Give me two 8th OA picks all day over one at 6OA in a below average draft year.
I wouldn't be a sticker if you didn't come across so condescendingly.

As an aggregate, the quality of the draft declines with the selection. #2 overalls have better careers than 3's etc. Your chances of getting an impact at #5 is much better than both #8 and #9 picks.

Moving on.

Reactions: viceroy

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I wouldn't be a sticker if you didn't come across so condescendingly.

As an aggregate, the quality of the draft declines with the selection. #2 overalls have better careers than 3's etc. Your chances of getting an impact at #5 is much better than both #8 and #9 picks.

Moving on.
No it's not. Not if you compare the quality of the 2025 draft with the quality of the 2024 draft. #8 or #9 in 2025 will likely be a better player than #5 in 2024. If I could trade the Flames 10th OA pick this year for a 12th OA in 2025 I do it in a heartbeat even waiting the extra year. We're also talking 2 8OA picks vs 1 5 OA pick. Odds are much better even in normal years.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
No it's not. Not if you compare the quality of the 2025 draft with the quality of the 2024 draft. #8 or #9 in 2025 will likely be a better player than #5 in 2024. If I could trade the Flames 10th OA pick this year for a 12th OA in 2025 I do it in a heartbeat even waiting the extra year. We're also talking 2 8OA picks vs 1 5 OA pick. Odds are much better even in normal years.
Price - Setogouchi/Lee
Kessel - Meuller/Sheppard
Alzner - Hamill/Couture
L. Schenn
- Boedker/Bailey
B. Schenn - Glennie/Cowen
Neiderreitter - Burmi/Granlund
Strome - Couturier/Hamilton
Reilly
- Pouliot/Trouba
Lindholm - Horvat/Risto
Dal Colle - Nylander/Ehlers
Hanifin - Werenski/Meier
Juolivi - A. Nylander/Sergachev
Petterson
- Mittlestat/Rasmussen
Hayton - Boqvist/Kravtsov
Turcotte - Zegras/Broberg
Sanderson -
Quinn/Rossi

Interesting. You may disagree with my choices in bold. But since 2005 its been about 50/50 who has been better off keeping the first pick vs picks 8 and 9.

3 years have been home runs for the early pick (2005, 2006, 2008) and there have been 3 home runs for the later picks (2011, 2013 and 14 especially.)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Price - Setogouchi/Lee
Kessel - Meuller/Sheppard
Alzner - Hamill/Couture
L. Schenn
- Boedker/Bailey
B. Schenn - Glennie/Cowen
Neiderreitter - Burmi/Granlund
Strome - Couturier/Hamilton
Reilly
- Pouliot/Trouba
Lindholm - Horvat/Risto
Dal Colle - Nylander/Ehlers
Hanifin - Werenski/Meier
Juolivi - A. Nylander/Sergachev
Petterson
- Mittlestat/Rasmussen
Hayton - Boqvist/Kravtsov
Turcotte - Zegras/Broberg

Interesting. You may disagree with my choices in bold. But since 2005 its been about 50/50 who has been better off keeping the first pick vs picks 8 and 9.
I don't quibble on close things. What I was arguing about is that 5OA this year is not as good as 2 picks at 8 or 9 OA. I'd say you're talking a 55%/45% chance at getting a better player at 5OA. When you factor in the clear strength of the 2025 draft over the 2024 draft it becomes not close.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don't quibble on close things. What I was arguing about is that 5OA this year is not as good as 2 picks at 8 or 9 OA. I'd say you're talking a 55%/45% chance at getting a better player at 5OA. When you factor in the clear strength of the 2025 draft over the 2024 draft it becomes not close.
bleh. Strength of draft is always nonsense especially when you're over a year out.

Show me your mock 10 for 2025 and I'll show you a list that gets mocked in 2025.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
bleh. Strength of draft is always nonsense especially when you're over a year out.

Show me your mock 10 for 2025 and I'll show you a list that gets mocked in 2025.
Strength of draft is a real thing. I get projecting 16 year old players is something of a fool's errand, but there were guys in the late 2nd and 3rd round in 2023 who would be top 20 picks this year. Guys at the end of round 1 last year like Cowan and Perreault are easily top 10 picks this year.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
2025 summer. If Andersson doesn't want to resign with Calgary :

Matheson
Habs 2026 1st
Barron

for

Andersson.

Calgary can extend Matheson if they don't go full rebuild or trade him for more picks.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Matheson
Habs 2026 1st
Barron

for

Andersson.

Calgary can extend Matheson if they don't go full rebuild or trade him for more picks.
No thanks. Barron is waiver fodder. Matheson had a really strong season, but I think he overperformed. If Andersson is moving on it's for a high end prospect, pick and a defenseman who is a stop gap. Barron isn't a high end prospect.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You’re right. Montreal will gladly accept your 2024 first round pick and let you pick twice in 2025

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why exactly do we need a 27 year old RHD when we got Hutson, Rein and Mailman knocking on the door?

This trade makes ZERO sense for the Habs.

What we need is a young top 6, all else is just noise

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Matheson
Habs 2026 1st
Barron

for

Andersson.

Thanks for the humor but this trade doesn't happen in any universe...at any time.

Moving on....

Ledge And Dairy

Matheson
Habs 2026 1st
Barron

for

Andersson.

How about Calgary crosses that bridge when they get there. By all accounts he loves playing in Calgary and has no intention of leaving at this point in time. As for the value, no interest in Barron or Matheson. The Habs 1st would be the only intriguing thing there but if Andersson is made available he would draw league wide interest and only has a 6 team NT list.

Reactions: Benstheman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad