Proposal: CGY - MTL

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Habs 3 points behind Flames, really it's 4 as they hold tie breaker. Could be big deal as with 6th pick Habs likely eyeing Ignila
Lottery will determine who drafts where. And if you guys do draft before us and pick Iginla, there'll be some other top prospect available for the Flames.
You seem to be trying hard to rub it into Flames fans that Montreal wants Iginla

Reactions: Nanuuk

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Lottery will determine who drafts where. And if you guys do draft before us and pick Iginla, there'll be some other top prospect available for the Flames.
You seem to be trying hard to rub it into Flames fans that Montreal wants Iginla
Not really, just player I want. I would never do that. Geez.

Ignila 8 months younger than Catton. Bigger with more upside. Both scored 55 goals this season in same amount of games. Going by his father Ignila should be better playoff performer.

Why I trying hard to get Ignila.

• Haha
Reactions: thefutures

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Let's be fair - at this point, the top part of the draft seems flat, so it's really hard to figure out which team might draft which player.... we can all figure out team needs, but scouts have their own criteria, which we aren't made aware of.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs

Silly rabbit, he doesn't want Iginla, he's jonesing for Ignila. Can't you read? I mean he wrote that like 1000 times in this thread alone.

Anywho I personally prefer Catton to Linguini but I'm cool with either one.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Bond

May 10, 2012
Not really. They need high-end C or D prospects. At the moment, they don't have any at either position - in the NHL or AHL.
They are trying to will into the universe that Calgary will make a dumb trade to move up

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
I saw this idea on another fan website and found it intriguing.

To MTL
Pelletier, Poirier, Morin, 2024 2nd

To Calgary
Dach, 2024 1st

Not sure about that poster's rationale and I'm not sure if I agree with it.

What does everyone else say?

The Habs give the two best pieces, by far, what is the point ? :huh:

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
They are trying to will into the universe that Calgary will make a dumb trade to move up
I just don’t know why they’d bother trying to convince Flames fans on a message board. The GM and scouts are the ones they need to convince lol.

I’m sure casual Flames fans would love to see the Iginla name. But the serious fans know the team has bigger needs.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Does anyone know if Iginla is solid and scrappy like his old man. Maybe not scrappy but will take the body and has an edge to him? Thinking Brady Tkachuk at all? If so. We should take him. Need those warrior's come playoffs.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Does anyone know if Iginla is solid and scrappy like his old man. Maybe not scrappy but will take the body and has an edge to him? Thinking Brady Tkachuk at all? If so. We should take him. Need those warrior's come playoffs.
I wouldn't call Jerome scrappy or truculent. He was highly competitive though. Tij has those traits.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn't call Jerome scrappy or truculent. He was highly competitive though. Tij has those traits.
Yea. He had Gally's motor but with actual skill. But I do recall him being feisty and hard nosed to play against. Those guys you win with and we need more of those.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yea. He had Gally's motor but with actual skill. But I do recall him being feisty and hard nosed to play against. Those guys you win with and we need more of those.
He's not truculent like the Tkachuk's or has a mean streak. He's just a hard nosed, gritty talented player with high compete level. You win with those guys. He has a high floor which makes him a safe pick.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Matheson has 52 points so far this season in 74 games, that's a 0.7ppg pace, which looks really good at first glance. However, the issue is only 15 of of those points have come at 5v5. His value is on par with Tyson Barrie's when he was traded to Nashville, or Gostisbehere's when he was traded to Carolina. A 3rd by himself, or money back to to make the cap work. Also out of all the defensemen in the league that have played at least 500 minutes at 5v5 he has some of the worst metrics. He is a complete liability when not playing on the powerplay.

Barron is 5 months away from being placed on waivers, he is essentially worthless as of right now. At most you might get a 4th or 5th round pick for him. Just like how Calgary spent a 5th to get Okhotiuk, or claimed Pachal off waivers, who are similar caliber defense prospects.

So to suggest those 2 have combined are close to the chart value of 8th OA is hysterical.

You mentioned in your original post that Calgary has their forwards sorted out already, if that were the case they never would have traded Tanev, Hanifin, and Zadorov, because on paper a top 6 of those 3 + Andersson, Weegar, and Kylington is top 5 in the league easily. And considering Markstrom has had a phenomenal year, the issue must have clearly been the forward group. It is impossible to contend without star players and outside of Huberdeau Calgary has zero with star potential. Huberdeau is a pure playmaker and he has no one with skill to make plays with. Kadri is a good 2nd line caliber center but that's it. Calgary is a team with all middle 6 talent and not 1st line talent (outside of Huberdeau but he certainly hasn't played like that since arriving).
I have a hard time with using the 5v5 stat to devalue a player - so people have different strengths; does being a talent at one aspect of the game make you any less deserving of accolades for that position.

also, I see 32 as his EVP on nhl.com. Not sure where the 15 comes from (despite the 4 games difference between our stats). Also, those 32 account for just over half of his point total (53%). As a comparative, QH has 59% of his points EVP, CM 52, and Josi 61%. His percentages in this aspect put him in there.

1712926207075.png

However, i do absolutely agree with you that anyone looking at this stat only to determine MM's value will be dissapointed. The guy got his points because he plays 25 minutes plus per game, which is WAY too much. His skating saves him from looking awful, but his Defensive work is decent at best, but his use is always against the best elements on the other side. I think the best usage for him is 20 mins tops, 2nd pairing duties and 1st wave of PP. I assume the habs do this to protect their youth, so ill look for that to change in teh future.

Ledge And Dairy

I have a hard time with using the 5v5 stat to devalue a player - so people have different strengths; does being a talent at one aspect of the game make you any less deserving of accolades for that position.

also, I see 32 as his EVP on nhl.com. Not sure where the 15 comes from (despite the 4 games difference between our stats). Also, those 32 account for just over half of his point total (53%). As a comparative, QH has 59% of his points EVP, CM 52, and Josi 61%. His percentages in this aspect put him in there.

View attachment 850378

However, i do absolutely agree with you that anyone looking at this stat only to determine MM's value will be dissapointed. The guy got his points because he plays 25 minutes plus per game, which is WAY too much. His skating saves him from looking awful, but his Defensive work is decent at best, but his use is always against the best elements on the other side. I think the best usage for him is 20 mins tops, 2nd pairing duties and 1st wave of PP. I assume the habs do this to protect their youth, so ill look for that to change in teh future.
NHL.com counts empty net and 6v5 points as even strength points. Throwing the puck 200 feet into an empty net should not count as an even strength or 5v5 point and neither should getting a point while your own goalie is pulled. That why no other legitimate stat site counts them as EV. For example on NaturalStattrick he is listed at having 60 points this season and now 21 at 5v5 (a 9-3 win will help that). It also lists him as having 1 point at 3v3, 3 points vs an EN, 5 points with an EN, and 28 points on the powerplay. He also has 1 point on the PK so that leaves the last 2 points probably at 4v4.

5v5 play is by far the most important part of a players game as it 80% of a game is played at 5v5. If you are a liability 80% of the time but great 20% of the time you really aren't worth that much.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
NHL.com counts empty net and 6v5 points as even strength points. Throwing the puck 200 feet into an empty net should not count as an even strength or 5v5 point and neither should getting a point while your own goalie is pulled. That why no other legitimate stat site counts them as EV. For example on NaturalStattrick he is listed at having 60 points this season and now 21 at 5v5 (a 9-3 win will help that). It also lists him as having 1 point at 3v3, 3 points vs an EN, 5 points with an EN, and 28 points on the powerplay. He also has 1 point on the PK so that leaves the last 2 points probably at 4v4.

5v5 play is by far the most important part of a players game as it 80% of a game is played at 5v5. If you are a liability 80% of the time but great 20% of the time you really aren't worth that much.
What's most Flames give up to jump from 8th to 5th in draft?

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Based on the following assumptions:
- Both teams have traded repeatedly with each other recently (familiarity)
- CGY should be in a "compete now" mode if it can shore up its D (F + G are sorted already-ish)
- MTL wants to speed up the rebuild with high-end talent
- Neither team wins the draft lottery

To CGY:
Matheson (LD)
Barron (RD)
CGY 25' 1st round pick (they regain control over their own pick; '25 draft said to be stronger also)

Matheson-Weegar
Kylington-Andersson
TBD - Barron

To MTL:
CGY 24' 1st round pick - 8OA

MTL would potentially come out with 2 of: Dickinson, Eiserman, Catton, Parekh, or Buium.
No sure why MTL would do this…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad