Claimed off Waivers: [CGY] Flames claim F Radim Zohorna off waivers from the Penguins

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Expecting him back to Pittsburgh, at least he maybe got a jersey out of it haha

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
No. He has to go through waivers again and if he does then we can claim and drop him to AHL.
Yeah... perhaps I didn't explain myself well. He's on waivers now but the Pens jump to the head of the list of teams that can claim him and if they do claim him they can immediately send him to the AHL without exposing him on waivers again... like the Flames have just done.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah... perhaps I didn't explain myself well. He's on waivers now but the Pens jump to the head of the list of teams that can claim him and if they do claim him they can immediately send him to the AHL without exposing him on waivers again... like the Flames have just done.

No we don’t. He has to clear waivers then we can grab him.

Reactions: orby and Rubi

SlyIslands

May 28, 2003
Visit site
No every team can still make a claim to keep him in the NHL, if nobody claims him Pittsburgh can claim him and send him to the AHL without putting him on waivers again. If another team makes a claim then they will need to put him on waivers again to send him to the AHL. It wouldn't be fair to the player to not be able to play in the NHL.

Reactions: Rubi

SuperZero

Feb 16, 2020
That's not correct. The pens stay in the same spot in the waiver priority that they were. If he makes it to them and they are the only team to put in a claim they can then send him directly to the AHL. If another team ahead of them claims him that team get him. If another team after them in priority puts in a claim, the Pens would need to place him on waivers again

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Wonder if the Flames put in a claim on another forward? It's clear there's opportunity

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Huh. He wasn't great or anything but still, not a lot of time with the team.

Flames making another move? Sizable hole in the top 9 And Sutter's thumbed his nose at all the other internal options.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Puus looked good in his one and only game.

The problem is that guys like Simon, Jank, ZAR, Sceviour, Archibald get endless leashes while younger guys are banished immediately after playing 6 minutes with Simon and ZAR.

These guys are not getting legitimate chances. They are set up to fail. Gaudreau was the perfect example. He only got a shot once we had several injuries. Otherwise, sleepy and sully would have kept him buried all season.

I just want guys like Archibald to sit when it’s clear they don’t deserve a roster spot.
I think the Penguins way, and it seems it is the same under Hextall as GMJR, is to sign enough cheap veterans to fill out the roster, low ceiling/high floor types, and then challenge the young guys to go through those players to earn a spot.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Guess Pittsburgh didn't want him back after all

The justification posted in the waivers thread explained why they may not claim him back. If they claimed him and someone else with a lower priority also claimed him, they'd have to keep him up in the NHL. They'd be up shit creek with the cap being due tomorrow if that happened, so the risk of that wasn't worth the reward of having Zohorna as depth.

Pretty tactical waiver usage by Calgary there. If he would have been waived any earlier than yesterday, the Penguins would have been able to claim him.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad