Claimed off Waivers: [CGY] Flames claim F Radim Zohorna off waivers from the Penguins

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
No he hasn't but he has in some of the lesser leagues. My point was Zohorna has never even in the lesser leagues. I am not saying its all about scoring goals but people wanted Zohona on the 3rd line, that was pretty much over his head

Archibald will be a 4th liner who kills penalties and brings some sandpaper to a team that needs it badly. He will be a role player. He has done it well in the past.

Your upset over a Euro player who went undrafted and his game has yet to translate well to N/A ice. Plus 90% of your post are complaints. I hope you aren't like this in real life

I dont use those analytic charts b/c many of them are flawed
Seems like you’re looking at stats with a pretty narrow mind. Instead of splitting it up into seasons, why don’t you just look at the full picture? He has scored 17 goals in 55 total AHL games. So not sure why you’re acting like he can’t score 14 in a season, that’s just flat out misleading.

In his 25 NHL games he has 10 points, which is on pace for over 30 in a full season. Doesn’t feel like 3rd line is out of reach or over his head at all.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Being a prospect in Pittsburgh must suck, even going back to the Shero/Bylsma days it's the same story.

Hopefully he gets a fair shake out west.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Seems like you’re looking at stats with a pretty narrow mind. Instead of splitting it up into seasons, why don’t you just look at the full picture? He has scored 17 goals in 55 total AHL games. So not sure why you’re acting like he can’t score 14 in a season, that’s just flat out misleading.

In his 25 NHL games he has 10 points, which is on pace for over 30 in a full season. Doesn’t feel like 3rd line is out of reach or over his head at all.
My point is he hasn't.

I liked Z but he couldn't make the cut. But they outcry of losing an undrafted player who wasn't going to get regular time in the NHL is normal for many on the boards. As I said I wish him the best.

Go read a few of the post who I was responding to

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Except Ruzicka is Slovakian.
Minor details...haha. Will be interesting to see what he can bring. Hopefully he brings more jam than Ruzicka. I would have kept Phillips or Zary in camp ahead of him. Kind of ridiculous that the 5'6" 140 pounder won more battles than Ruzicka did. He's got all the tools. Of course so did Joe Colborne who he really reminds me of.

Reactions: Nanuuk

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think one of the main things that sealed for PIT waiving him is because they aren't confident he can play C at the NHL level (at least that's my personal opinion anyway).

If he's an NHLer, it will be on the W and not a C, despite the fact he played the latter positions at times in the AHL and elsewhere.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Interesting player that never got much of a shot in Pittsburgh. He's big with surprisingly good mobility for someone his size. Worth a shot for Calgary.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Flames now have an over abundance of big boring lunch bucket guys that can play on their 4th line. Unfortunately none of them can score. Is it against the rules to have a 4th line that is a little bit dangerous... other than with their fists?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Being a prospect in Pittsburgh must suck, even going back to the Shero/Bylsma days it's the same story.

Hopefully he gets a fair shake out west.

It's actually - mostly - the opposite. It's one of the best experiences. And that's without even adjusting for the fact that the drafting and prospect pool have been very weak over the last decade or so. Forgive the laziness, but rather than re-type...

But the Penguins famously put two rookies (of no real renown) on their top line and went on two Cup runs. Dom Simon was up there for a time too and got some long looks. Marino, Maatta, were 20 minute a night rookies. Matt Murray was turned to while Fleury was a Smythe favorite in '17.

But this 26 year old "prospect" (really, just a Euro FA signing) who is older than Kasperi Kapanen, who played about a quarter of the season, didn't get a "fair shake"...? This is the problem? The 26 year old who has shown no particular NHL hook...?

But Sullivan - who I have personally heard talk about player development, and he's very smart about it - is killing all of these prospects that Pittsburgh has lying around? The AHL team that is bursting at the seams with a ton of 30 point guys, so maybe...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's actually - mostly - the opposite. It's one of the best experiences. And that's without even adjusting for the fact that the drafting and prospect pool have been very weak over the last decade or so. Forgive the laziness, but rather than re-type...

But the Penguins famously put two rookies (of no real renown) on their top line and went on two Cup runs. Dom Simon was up there for a time too and got some long looks. Marino, Maatta, were 20 minute a night rookies. Matt Murray was turned to while Fleury was a Smythe favorite in '17.

But this 26 year old "prospect" (really, just a Euro FA signing) who is older than Kasperi Kapanen, who played about a quarter of the season, didn't get a "fair shake"...? This is the problem? The 26 year old who has shown no particular NHL hook...?

But Sullivan - who I have personally heard talk about player development, and he's very smart about it - is killing all of these prospects that Pittsburgh has lying around? The AHL team that is bursting at the seams with a ton of 30 point guys, so maybe...

All of your examples are pre-2018. I think the criticism of Sullivan is the fact he's actually gone *away* from giving young guys the same opportunities he did when he first came up as the Pens' coach.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Who deserved this opportunity? So instead of it being 15 years of "not playing the kids" (which it wasn't), now it's three years...and who should have been in the lineup? The guy getting a PTO in Seattle now or the one getting a PTO in Philadelphia? Haha

I mean, I know every single draft pick the Pens have really well...so I'm very curious about this claim...

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Who deserved this opportunity? So instead of it being 15 years of "not playing the kids" (which it wasn't), now it's three years...and who should have been in the lineup? The guy getting a PTO in Seattle now or the one getting a PTO in Philadelphia? Haha

I mean, I know every single draft pick the Pens have really well...so I'm very curious about this claim...
You summed it up perfectly in your initial post.

Some of these fans act like the organization is holding back some young crazy talent in our AHL team, the reality is our young talent is very minimal due to the fact that we have made the playoffs the last 17 years and have given up high picks with the win now mentality.

I am all about playing young talent but they need to earn it and like you mentioned some of that young talent though those years had opportunity to play up with star talent they would have never had an opportunity on another team.

Its tiring to hear constantly "Sully wont play young guys etc" but the majority of the time these young guys come up and look out of place or have obvious flaws then need to work on. Hell people wanted Angelo up for the longest time for some toughness and the guy looked so bad he played his way right out of the organization.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
All of your examples are pre-2018. I think the criticism of Sullivan is the fact he's actually gone *away* from giving young guys the same opportunities he did when he first came up as the Pens' coach.

Nah, let's not justify the idiocy here. Penguins fans just bitch and moan about Sullivan not playing young guys because he doesn't play the specific young guys that fans want him to play. Trying to reverse engineer the dumb claims to make them less dumb isn't honest.

Sullivan is one of the most young player friendly coaches in all of hockey, because there are some real dinosaurs out there. But Penguins fans complain "he's not giving Daniel Sprong a guaranteed spot with Crosby!" or "he's not giving Sam Poulin a guaranteed spot with Malkin!", and that somehow means Sullivan hates young players.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The Flames now have an over abundance of big boring lunch bucket guys that can play on their 4th line. Unfortunately none of them can score. Is it against the rules to have a 4th line that is a little bit dangerous... other than with their fists?
Lots of guys for Evander Kane to punch in the face.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You summed it up perfectly in your initial post.

Some of these fans act like the organization is holding back some young crazy talent in our AHL team, the reality is our young talent is very minimal due to the fact that we have made the playoffs the last 17 years and have given up high picks with the win now mentality.

I am all about playing young talent but they need to earn it and like you mentioned some of that young talent though those years had opportunity to play up with star talent they would have never had an opportunity on another team.

Its tiring to hear constantly "Sully wont play young guys etc" but the majority of the time these young guys come up and look out of place or have obvious flaws then need to work on. Hell people wanted Angelo up for the longest time for some toughness and the guy looked so bad he played his way right out of the organization.
Puus looked good in his one and only game.

The problem is that guys like Simon, Jank, ZAR, Sceviour, Archibald get endless leashes while younger guys are banished immediately after playing 6 minutes with Simon and ZAR.

These guys are not getting legitimate chances. They are set up to fail. Gaudreau was the perfect example. He only got a shot once we had several injuries. Otherwise, sleepy and sully would have kept him buried all season.

I just want guys like Archibald to sit when it’s clear they don’t deserve a roster spot.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Is there a gas leak in here? Simon and ZAR *were* the young players. They got old while getting chances in Pittsburgh...rookie 5th round pick Simon was playing top line with Crosby. The vast majority of his points that year were playing with Sid. It clearly wasn't working out, he didn't progress as a player and he slid down the lineup.

I did like Gaudreau, but he only played on the team when he was 28...he was an AHL signing that got a shot and parlayed it into multi-year deal with Minnesota as a UFA...because he was UFA age...

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
God damnit, I was really enjoying reading "Radim the Dream" whenever he did something positive for the Pens.

Even if he was marginal, and never going to be much more, it seems like a waste of a decent bottom six guy.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Zahorna surprisingly in a lot of games keeps possession going.

25 games 10 points 30 point pace over a full season.

I think over an 82 game season he could do some damage for minimum salary.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Zohora plays tonight against Winnipeg. He's playing LW on the 3rd line with Adam Ruzicka as center and Blake Coleman as RW. Looking forward to watching the game and seeing if Zohora is as good as Pens fans and others say he is.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Zohora plays tonight against Winnipeg. He's playing LW on the 3rd line with Adam Ruzicka as center and Blake Coleman as RW. Looking forward to watching the game and seeing if Zohora is as good as Pens fans and others say he is.
Lower expectations. There's a reason he's on waivers. He's a 12/13F.

Now, I do like his play but it's his play as a 12/13F. People thinking he's a hair away from being a 2nd or 3rd line wing...no.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Zohorna_R_2018.jpg

Giant durr...will keep on durr...dear lord he stinks!

Stay away from the Penguins forever!
*Throws POJ in the general direction*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad