Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] F Nazem Kadri signs with the Flames (7 years, $7M AAV)

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I think HF boards is a bit ROUGH on J.t Miller and Kadri's contracts
I mean, you're getting PPG players, 7 - 8 million is what they cost...
Miller is over PPG for over 4 seasons now, he also provides a ton of other intangibes aside from scoring, 29 - 37 yrs old... i think 8 is fair

Reactions: MAHJ71 and Jojalu

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Buy out candidate for the offseason.

Worst thing they could do is not sell this year, and to keep Kadri. Time to refresh around Coronato, Wolf, etc.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022

Worst thing they could do is not sell this year, and to keep Kadri. Time to refresh around Coronato, Wolf, etc.
You're kidding right haha. Still has 5 more years after this one.

I am curious if anyone has ever bought a player out with 4+ years remaining. I can't imagine it's ever been done except for really cheap players

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think HF boards is a bit ROUGH on J.t Miller and Kadri's contracts
I mean, you're getting PPG players, 7 - 8 million is what they cost...
Miller is over PPG for over 4 seasons now, he also provides a ton of other intangibes aside from scoring, 29 - 37 yrs old... i think 8 is fair

Aside from one career year in a contract season, Kadri is a 50-60 point player.

You're kidding right haha. Still has 5 more years after this one.

I am curious if anyone has ever bought a player out with 4+ years remaining. I can't imagine it's ever been done except for really cheap players

Rick DiPietro was bought out of the back half of his 15 year deal (8 seasons). That said it only cost them $1.5M annually for 15 years, still 6 left lol

Last edited:

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Why does Miller have negative value? Such an odd take!
He doesn’t. It’s a Flames fan thing. They probably think Pettersson and Hughes are overpaid too.

Tre left that team in shambles. Miller if he waived his NMC, could be dealt for positive value all day long. He’s a top 20 physical centre that puts up a ppg and can pk and run a PP. He’s gritty, good in the dot and making 8 million per on a long term deal. He’d instantly be the best player in Calgary. Haters gonna hate.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Weird to see JT Miller brought up with this bump. Based on his performance over multiple seasons (with the team that signed him), his contract is just no comparison to the Kadri one.

Miller has a great shot at giving value at his cap hit for the next few years. And with the climbing overall salary cap, the sting on the last couple years of that deal won’t be anywhere near as big a deal as some might suggest.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
How many GMs are smartly thinking 4+ years down the road though?
That is indeed a big issue. It's the exact issue the Flames are currently facing. We moved Monahan, a 1st and gave Kadri 49M of our cap. Then instead of moving Huberdeau and Weegar at the TDL for real assets we signed them. 2 of those 3 deals are immovable now. Weegar could be moved. The other 2 would require retention and assets added.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He doesn’t. It’s a Flames fan thing. They probably think Pettersson and Hughes are overpaid too.

Tre left that team in shambles. Miller if he waived his NMC, could be dealt for positive value all day long. He’s a top 20 physical centre that puts up a ppg and can pk and run a PP. He’s gritty, good in the dot and making 8 million per on a long term deal. He’d instantly be the best player in Calgary. Haters gonna hate.
Pettersson I've been higher than Canuck fans on for years. Hughes is overrated. He's a liability in a lot of ways and an engine in a lot of ways. A bit like a poor man's Erik Karlsson.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

I don't think they can comfortably go scorched earth though, there's like 14 conditions on it but Habs own their first next year from the Monahan trade

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Pettersson I've been higher than Canuck fans on for years. Hughes is overrated. He's a liability in a lot of ways and an engine in a lot of ways. A bit like a poor man's Erik Karlsson.
Hughes is shockingly underrated. There is no way in which Hughes is a liability. You have not watched the team since the Covid year. I know this because that is the only year in which Hughes might have been considered a liability in the defensive end. But even that would have been an exaggeration. He was just not top pairing level defensively that year. He was still very much NHL quality. A liability is below NHL quality. Hughes has never been that in any facet of his game.

So far this year he is on another level. For the first time he has a top 4 quality partner and they are thriving. He will enter the Norris conversation this year. If the Canucks make the playoffs he is likely a favorite.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
That is indeed a big issue. It's the exact issue the Flames are currently facing. We moved Monahan, a 1st and gave Kadri 49M of our cap. Then instead of moving Huberdeau and Weegar at the TDL for real assets we signed them. 2 of those 3 deals are immovable now. Weegar could be moved. The other 2 would require retention and assets added.
Weren't those two signed shortly after being acquired in the summer, not ever making it to their first deadline?
I can see Kadri with retention getting moved easily. He's still worth way more than half of $7m/yr. I'm sure a lot of GMs would love to have him at even $5m. That said, I bet the Flames wouldn't even entertain that. Losing one or two retention slots for that amount of years would do more harm than good. Hate to say it, Flames are stuck with those deals for a long time.

Seeing all these long term deals being anchors right now, I really wish the max term was shortened to five years.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013

LOL you do realize that his pairing is the only one in the league that hadn’t given up a 5 on 5 goal going into last game? Hughes has been unbelievable in both ends of the ice.

Why not just admit that you don’t keep up with the Canucks and are just repeating all the old talking points from the start of last year (both Miller and Hughes…terrible takes).

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad