Confirmed Trade: [CGY/ARI] Michael Stone at 50% retained FOR 2017 3rd round pick and a 2018 cndl 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
You do realize Troy Brouwer got 4 x 4.5

Lucic/Ladd got ridiculously paid.

Yandle.

Do people on this site forget how Free Agency works every year? Especially for defencemen.

Stone will get paid. He's looking at 4x4 at the bare minimum. A 5 mil AAV 2 year deal is a steal.

What type of argument is this? Brouwer, the guy everyone wants to chase out of town? Lucic, the guy all Flames fans are making fun of the Oilers for signing to that contract? Ladd's Cy Young bid will see him get under 35 points this season. None of those are good contracts and are the very reason the Flames should not sign him to 5M...or anywhere remotely close.

Might as well bring up DiPietro to argue that a 50M, 5 year contract for Elliot would be a steal.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
No, he's probably a 3.25 million dollar player. 4 million would be a digestible overpay. Anything more would be a bad contract. I still feel that way.

Watching him for the past couple seasons, I'd agree. Unless he can take another step up, he isn't worth 4 a year. However, it wouldn't be a overpayment that would be regrettable and put a team in a cap bind, just a touch more than he is actually worth. 3-3.5 would be a perfect deal.

Really happy he has rebounded in CAL. Always liked the player, and don't think he ever had a reliable partner to play with on the 2nd line in AZ. He can be very frustrating at times, just because you know he doesn't always play up to his full ability. But he is a solid 4, borderline 3 when he is playing his best.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
What type of argument is this? Brouwer, the guy everyone wants to chase out of town? Lucic, the guy all Flames fans are making fun of the Oilers for signing to that contract? Ladd's Cy Young bid will see him get under 35 points this season. None of those are good contracts and are the very reason the Flames should not sign him to 5M...or anywhere remotely close.

Might as well bring up DiPietro to argue that a 50M, 5 year contract for Elliot would be a steal.

You missed all the points of my argument completely. Let me introduce them in point form so maybe you can understand,

1. Flames need cap space in two years
2. Signing him to a long term deal really screws us so we sweeten the pot so he signs. Because NHL contracts are guaranteed money. It's hard to turn down a 6 year 20+ million dollar deal for a 2 year 10 million dollar deal. You get injured in those two years. Bye bye 10 million dollars. So to get him to sign a 2 year deal you need to boost the AAV
3. My main point. Which is pretty much common knowledge. Is that Free Agents get paid. You only need one team stupid enough (and there's always one team, willing to overpay: Brouwer, Ladd, Lucic). It's a fact. You want to keep UFAs then pay up. Arguing that is assanine imo.

Also, comparing a 2 year 5 million dollar AAV to a 15 year deal (that isn't even aloud in the new CBA) is one of the worst I've seen on this site. Congrats.

Try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia