Confirmed Trade: [CGY/ARI] Michael Stone at 50% retained FOR 2017 3rd round pick and a 2018 cndl 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
actually, Stone won the trade! Didn't weaken the Flames organization by the cost it took to acquire him and went to Calgary, his wife's hometown. I would be very surprised if he doesn't re-sign there.
That's what we are all hoping.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Hopefully we won't have to use up any cap space to re-sign him. We can just use the cap space we free up when Vegas takes Brouwer off our hands #herespraying

Not likely to happen unfortunately.

The Flames should have a good chunk of cap room regardless. They have a lot coming off the books this offseason. I really hope they bring Stone back. He has really solidified that second pairing.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Cap Space;

-5.25 for Wideman
-2.92 for Engellend
-3.50 for Smid
-1.25 for Bollig
-2.00 for Stone

So about 14.92 down for players that probably won't resign (minus Stone)

Elliot goes up 2M to 4.5M
Bennett up 2.5M to 3.5M (figure 3.5M x 2 makes sense)
Ferland up 1.5M

Leaves about 9M to resign Stone(5M x 2 ideally) and figure out our bottom pairing. Andersson and Gilles would be the cheap options.

Should be doable but a #1 RW is unlikely if we don't get rid of Brouwer.

Then we're set until Backlunds contract expires next year but just give him the 2 million that's coming off the books from Stajan. Should be good until 2019-20.

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Cap Space;

-5.25 for Wideman
-2.92 for Engellend
-3.50 for Smid
-1.25 for Bollig
-2.00 for Stone

Ferland up 1.5M

Leaves about 9M to resign Stone(5M x 2 ideally) and figure out our bottom pairing. Andersson and Gilles would be the cheap options.

Then we're set until Backlunds contract expires next year but just give him the 2 million that's coming off the books from Stajan. Should be good until 2019-20.

Gillies isn't ready. I'd rather re-sign Johnson or acquire another stopgap until someone proves themselves. I'd be fine with Andersson on the bottom pairing though.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I wanted the Bruins to get this guy to play with Krug in the top 4. Looks like a change a scenery is doing him well. Nice pickup Flames!

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Gillies isn't ready. I'd rather re-sign Johnson or acquire another stopgap until someone proves themselves. I'd be fine with Andersson on the bottom pairing though.

We have way too many goalie's in our system. Someone needs to graduate or we are going to start losing them for nothing.

May as well give Rittich or Gilles a chance. At least in training camp.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
We have way too many goalie's in our system. Someone needs to graduate or we are going to start losing them for nothing.

May as well give Rittich or Gilles a chance. At least in training camp.

Oh I have no problem giving them a chance in camp. I'm just not going to pencil in a guy who has one pro season under his belt.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
This was a trade that I wanted Edmonton to make. Stone was a player that needed a change of scenery, similar to Schultz. A 3rd and a 5th is a small price to pay to take a gamble on a player with Stone's potential.

Stone was never a "change of scenery" guy. Stone is/was a "recovering from a serious injury" guy that was finally showing signs of returning to his pre-injury form as the TDL approached.

If that injury doesn't happen he's still with the Coyotes on a 4 year or so deal instead of a one year bridge to UFA.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Cap Space;

-5.25 for Wideman
-2.92 for Engellend
-3.50 for Smid
-1.25 for Bollig
-2.00 for Stone

Ferland up 1.5M

I understand I've brought Elias Lindholm into the Bennett equation trillions of times, but he is truly the best comparable to Bennett at this point. Drafted one year earlier and has had his fair share of struggles and not living up to potential (Until as of late). He signed a 2 year 2.7 million cap hit bridge deal. Bennett better not be making 3.5mill if he's only signing a 2 year bridge especially in such a low tax province. 2.5 for 2 years or 3.5 for 3 years. I'd rather trade for Grubauer and let Elliott walk (Unless he has a monster playoffs). Grubauer has starter potential. Sign him for a 2.75 mill cap hit for 3 years deal. Since Stone had a poor start to the season, I'd rather us sign him to a 4.5 mill for 4 year deal. He can prove his worth. Man do we need a Poile like GM in negotiations. Forsberg for 6x6, Ekholm for 3.75x6, Jarnkrok for 2x6, he may very well get Johansen on a 6.5x7 at most.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Cap Space;

-5.25 for Wideman
-2.92 for Engellend
-3.50 for Smid
-1.25 for Bollig
-2.00 for Stone

Ferland up 1.5M

lol Jesus. How is 5Mx2 ideal for Stone? Ideally he's sub-4 mil. Especially if he "wants to stay in Calgary". 4th dmen are not worth 5 million, period. Especially not average ones like Stone.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
lol Jesus. How is 5Mx2 ideal for Stone? Ideally he's sub-4 mil. Especially if he "wants to stay in Calgary". 4th dmen are not worth 5 million, period. Especially not average ones like Stone.

You do realize Troy Brouwer got 4 x 4.5

Lucic/Ladd got ridiculously paid.

Yandle.

Do people on this site forget how Free Agency works every year? Especially for defencemen.

Stone will get paid. He's looking at 4x4 at the bare minimum. A 5 mil AAV 2 year deal is a steal.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
You do realize Troy Brouwer got 4 x 4.5

Lucic/Ladd got ridiculously paid.

Yandle.

Do people on this site forget how Free Agency works every year? Especially for defencemen.

Stone will get paid. He's looking at 4x4 at the bare minimum. A 5 mil AAV 2 year deal is a steal.

So your comparables are Troy Brouwer, who is pretty much universally panned as an awful signing (Method Man notwithstanding), Lucic, who is pretty much universally panned as a bad contract, and Ladd, who has been crapped on all season? Oh, and Keith Yandle, who's one of the best transition/offensive dmen in the league and easily a top tier #3 at worst.

You're high if you think Stone is worth 5 million a year; I don't care what his current contract is (signed when he was being shoehorned in as a "top pairing D" with OEL). Could he get it? Sure. Would that make it a godawful contract? You bet your ass it would.

Free agency in the summer is a terrible time for signing contracts, but not all UFA contracts are inherently overpriced and terrible. And I'd rather have no Stone on the team than have him replacing Wideman as our hugely overpaid depth defenceman.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
My comparables are, decent players get ridiculous contracts. Especially defencemen. Every year!!!

FA gets overpaid. Yandle was basically a number 5 D on New York and got that contract. That will be a Wideman-Like contract when it's all said and done.

And yes. My major in University was history. And as hard as this is for some people to believe, historical trends repeat themselves.

What trend occurs every year on July 1st? Average players get paid ridiculous dollars... every year

It's almost a law.

FA get paid. Don't like it? Then you don't get them. Because someone else will pay them.

And no, a 2 year 5 million dollar contract would be a great thing. Boost the AAV a bit, knock a few years off. Because we need to sign Bennett (after his bridge) and Tkachuk in 2 years and will need the requisite cap space. And you've seen how much worse we are without a solid #4 D...

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
All things being equal, a FA goes to the place that generally pays the most.

But all things aren't equal. His wife lives in Calgary and she recently gave birth. He wants to be here, management technically holds all the cards.

I'd offer him a matching contract to what he has now 4x4 or 4x3 and NTC so he can be close to his new borns and his wife but still have reasonable confidence he won't be moved. There is no need to throw desperation money at Stone.

Stone making more than Brodie and almost as much as Hamilton is stupid.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think people are too focused on the AAV with Stone.

I agree he's probably a 4 million dollar player. But NHL contracts are guaranteed. You need to significantly boost the AAV to keep the years down. Any contract over two years could cause problems for us.

That, the Flames need cap-space in two years to sign Tkachuk and Bennett (who I assume gets a bridge deal)

Also can't compare the $ amount to Brodie and Hamilton (RFAs) to Stone (UFA).

Also, between Hickey, Kulak, Andersson, Kylington and Fox, I like our chances one becomes a top 4 in two more years.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
My comparables are, decent players get ridiculous contracts. Especially defencemen. Every year!!!

FA gets overpaid. Yandle was basically a number 5 D on New York and got that contract. That will be a Wideman-Like contract when it's all said and done.

And yes. My major in University was history. And as hard as this is for some people to believe, historical trends repeat themselves.

What trend occurs every year on July 1st? Average players get paid ridiculous dollars... every year

It's almost a law.

FA get paid. Don't like it? Then you don't get them. Because someone else will pay them.

And no, a 2 year 5 million dollar contract would be a great thing. Boost the AAV a bit, knock a few years off. Because we need to sign Bennett (after his bridge) and Tkachuk in 2 years and will need the requisite cap space. And you've seen how much worse we are without a solid #4 D...

Some players get paid ridiculous dollars, some don't. Every year there are terrible signings like Brouwer and Ladd. And every year there are decent deals like Frolik or even abrgains like Versteeg and Stempniak.

History repeats itself, because those who don't pay attention to it make the same mistakes repeatedly. I think signing Stone to a high AAV contract would be one of those mistakes. I also don't think the situation will be as bad if his extension is negotiated prior to free agency, since there won't be competing bids.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Some players get paid ridiculous dollars, some don't. Every year there are terrible signings like Brouwer and Ladd. And every year there are decent deals like Frolik or even abrgains like Versteeg and Stempniak.

History repeats itself, because those who don't pay attention to it make the same mistakes repeatedly. I think signing Stone to a high AAV contract would be one of those mistakes. I also don't think the situation will be as bad if his extension is negotiated prior to free agency, since there won't be competing bids.

Extending him prior to the expansion draft means we would have to expose him in the expansion draft, but I get your point.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Extending him prior to the expansion draft means we would have to expose him in the expansion draft, but I get your point.

True, but he gets exposed one way or the other. Vegas can technically take players on expiring contracts as well, but if he was signed to a decent value contract it just means the Flames might have to provide a small incentive to get Vegas not to take him.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
True, but he gets exposed one way or the other. Vegas can technically take players on expiring contracts as well, but if he was signed to a decent value contract it just means the Flames might have to provide a small incentive to get Vegas not to take him.

They can, but to keep him they would need to extend him, and for that to happen he would have to agree to that, so while it's a possible situation, I highly doubt it happens.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

If they took an extended Stone, we don't lose anyone else. This to the chagrin of perhaps some Flames fans who want Brouwer gone. I think we'd also lose a 5th(?) If we extend Stone.

Extending then losing him is just salt in wounds :laugh: I'm pretty confident we'd either re-sign after expansion draft or have a deal in place for Vegas to take someone Vegas is actually interested in.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
If they took an extended Stone, we don't lose anyone else. This to the chagrin of perhaps some Flames fans who want Brouwer gone. I think we'd also lose a 5th(?) If we extend Stone.

Extending then losing him is just salt in wounds :laugh: I'm pretty confident we'd either re-sign after expansion draft or have a deal in place for Vegas to take someone Vegas is actually interested in.

I really hope McPhee wants Brouwer back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad