GDT: CGY(34-35-5) @ WPG(45-24-6) 6pm SNW, going to Winnipeg edition

Who do you like best from the crop of top dmen for the 2024 NHL draft?

• Anton Silayev

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • other

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
He will be a great tank commander in 2025!

People dislike these kind of comments but it's just being honest. His size will be his career biggest detriment. I don't see him being great at this level but he will be another tanking soldier next year. Check goals scored against him, the number is HUGE and they don't lie!
Isn’t he an inch shorter than Kiprusoff?

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
You’re sceptical it’s like wrestling where Wolf is actually 5’3?

No I just know the listed heights aren't always the truth and I haven't seen either of them in real life so I don't know. The gap in height between the two probably isn't much, Kipper was just much better at a lot more things. I'm interested to see how Wolf improves next season though.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He will be a great tank commander in 2025!

People dislike these kind of comments but it's just being honest. His size will be his career biggest detriment. I don't see him being great at this level but he will be another tanking soldier next year. Check goals scored against him, the number is HUGE and they don't lie!
And yet… Wolf’s numbers are significantly better than Markstrom’s since the Hanifin and Tanev trades

He has a career .900 sv% playing on one of the worst defensive teams in the league. It’s a 15 game sample size. The average save percentage this year is 904 and most goalies don’t have to play in front of the Flames disaster of a defense.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The new Flyers goalie, Fedetov is almost a foot taller lol
Let see if that helps

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
And yet… Wolf’s numbers are significantly better than Markstrom’s since the Hanifin and Tanev trades

He has a career .900 sv% playing on one of the worst defensive teams in the league. It’s a 15 game sample size. The average save percentage this year is 904 and most goalies don’t have to play in front of the Flames disaster of a defense.
He hasn't stood out really, has he?

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Hahaha these Canadians can’t handle pospi I love it.. they know he’s crazy

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

I mean one of them is mentally golfing like all of our vets have been since the deadline, and probably still a bit pissed about the trade rumors, while the other is fighting for his life to prove he’s NHLer. Wolf isn’t in the same stratosphere of what we’ve seen from Markstrom throughout the year.

That’s also ok, because once again he’s the youngest goalie in the NHL currently again. In the age curve he’s roughly equivalent to a 19 year old forward prospect. Just as widely inaccurate as it is to say his play this year is concerning for his development, trying to compare him to Markstrom is just a farce.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Huberdeau has been our most consistent scorer sans Kadri for the entirety of 2024 yet people still see his name and need to scratch that itch. But don’t you dare mention Zary has 11 points in his last 28 games…

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Huberdeau has been our most consistent scorer sans Kadri for the entirety of 2024 yet people still see his name and need to scratch that itch. But don’t you dare mention Zary has 11 points in his last 28 games…
It’s not an itch it’s 10.5 million and Coleman laps this softie. Occasionally he does look good (1/10 games)

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
It’s not an itch it’s 10.5 million and Coleman laps this softie. Occasionally he does look good (1/10 games)
We have 19M in cap space next season and an additional ~20M the season after. His cap hit isn’t even slightly effecting the team in the near future, a sub set of people just want to vocally hate him. Which is remarkable considering him looking good 1 in every 10 games is still looking like our 2nd best offensive threat since the calendar flipped.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I mean one of them is mentally golfing like all of our vets have been since the deadline, and probably still a bit pissed about the trade rumors, while the other is fighting for his life to prove he’s NHLer. Wolf isn’t in the same stratosphere of what we’ve seen from Markstrom throughout the year.

That’s also ok, because once again he’s the youngest goalie in the NHL currently again. In the age curve he’s roughly equivalent to a 19 year old forward prospect. Just as widely inaccurate as it is to say his play this year is concerning for his development, trying to compare him to Markstrom is just a farce.
His first 13 games Markstrom had an .893 this season. That was with Tanev and Hanifin. He had an .892 the whole season previously. “Farce”

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
His first 13 games Markstrom had an .893 this season. That was with Tanev and Hanifin. He had an .892 the whole season previously. “Farce”
Yes the first 13 games of the season he had an .893. When the team completely fumbled out of the gate. I’m sure it’s just pure coincidence you chose to end at that point though, because I would definitely bet Markstrom didn’t have an .917 and a 2.52 GAA from then until the deadline, or a 1 goal in 35 shot performance his very next start after your chosen deadline. Yea those 13 games though, that was the goalie Markstrom currently is.

Here’s a month by month comparison if you’d actually like to compare:

October:
Markstrom •.901, 2.88
Wolf •DNP

November
Markstrom •.894, 2.98
Wolf •.895, 4.02

December
Markstrom •.921, 2.20
Wolf •.891, 3.81

January
Markstrom •.931, 2.27
Wolf •DNP

February
Markstrom •.921, 2.41
Wolf •.806, 6.00

March
Markstrom •.874, 3.34
Wolf •.912, 2.49

Or if we’d like to go into the advanced metrics, Markstrom is 8 out of 96 in GSAE, whereas Wolf is 90 of 96.

So yes, suggesting Wolf is currently in the same realm as Markstrom is a farce, and if you have to cherry pick data so hard to say otherwise it speaks volumes. Why don’t you just accept already Wolf is a very special goalie prospect, but he still has leaps and bounds to make before he reaches his potential?

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yes the first 13 games of the season he had an .893. When the team completely fumbled out of the gate. I’m sure it’s just pure coincidence you chose to end at that point though, because I would definitely bet Markstrom didn’t have an .917 and a 2.52 GAA from then until the deadline, or a 1 goal in 35 shot performance his very next start after your chosen deadline. Yea those 13 games though, that was the goalie Markstrom currently is.

Here’s a month by month comparison if you’d actually like to compare:

October:
Markstrom •.901, 2.88
Wolf •DNP

November
Markstrom •.894, 2.98
Wolf •.895, 4.02

December
Markstrom •.921, 2.20
Wolf •.891, 3.81

January
Markstrom •.931, 2.27
Wolf •DNP

February
Markstrom •.921, 2.41
Wolf •.806, 6.00

March
Markstrom •.874, 3.34
Wolf •.912, 2.49

Or if we’d like to go into the advanced metrics, Markstrom is 8 out of 96 in GSAE, whereas Wolf is 90 of 96.

So yes, suggesting Wolf is currently in the same realm as Markstrom is a farce, and if you have to cherry pick data so hard to say otherwise it speaks volumes. Why don’t you just accept already Wolf is a very special goalie prospect, but he still has leaps and bounds to make before he reaches his potential?
How am I cherry picking data?

A) I picked Markstrom’s first 13 games because that’s the sample size Wolf has. The team was not playing well as you said and Markstrom had an .893. I could have picked 12 where his save percentage was sub .890 if I wanted to cherry pick data.
B) the team played pretty well from November to the trade deadline. They’ve been an absolute horror show defensively since trading Hanifin and Tanev (shocker). Markstrom and Wolf have both been hung out to dry and it’s reflected in both of their save percentages since.

The claims from some of the posters that Wolf is too small is hilarious when you consider the environment he is in. The team is letting up cross ice passes left right and center right now. Neither Wolf or Markstrom are playing bad they are just getting peppered. Wolf’s had a terrible game against SJ. He had meh games against Washington and St Louis. Other than that he’s been excellent considering what he’s faced.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad