CFL 2024

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Nothing really. It's been posted, but no one's talking about this Victor thing.

If you're talking about ownership in general, still not a lot of discussion either. Some think it's 100% essential, others less so. Some had some delusions that there could be something with the building tied to it, but they are easily talked off that belief.

I'm very skeptical of it as it makes no financial sense for an owner to put a crapton of money into that building or a new building with such low revenue, and the city isn't in a good position right now to foot any of the bill.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Someone mentioned on RF that it’s odd news would come out on Good Friday. Also didn’t tag the Elks nor the CFL

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

If you're talking about ownership in general, still not a lot of discussion either. Some think it's 100% essential, others less so. Some had some delusions that there could be something with the building tied to it, but they are easily talked off that belief.

I'm very skeptical of it as it makes no financial sense for an owner to put a crapton of money into that building or a new building with such low revenue, and the city isn't in a good position right now to foot any of the bill.
It sure seems like private equity is needed to move this along and give the BoD an out as they have done such a disservice to the org.

The Cui thing would be a real twist. That said, if he was CEO of an org that wasn’t tied to the BoD he’d probably be more effective and successful. The guy has some very positive attributes that would still be beneficial to the CFL. I think he was handcuffed in the previous circumstance.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
It sure seems like private equity is needed to move this along and give the BoD an out as they have done such a disservice to the org.

The Cui thing would be a real twist. That said, if he was CEO of an org that wasn’t tied to the BoD he’d probably be more effective and successful. The guy has some very positive attributes that would still be beneficial to the CFL. I think he was handcuffed in the previous circumstance.
I don't think Cui like left on the best of terms so I doubt the board would consider him as a private owner unless his offer blew them away.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I don't think Cui like left on the best of terms so I doubt the board would consider him as a private owner unless his offer blew them away.
Can’t see a long line of suitors, so the BoDZ can’t be picky. But it is conjecture whether this is even what might transpire. I guess we find out tomorrow. Cheers.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

I don't go to games any more, i can't stand the stadium as it is too big with terrible site lines. We would benefit if we had a stadium similar to Winnipeg/Regina/Hamilton but a bit bigger. Also the parking situation sucks, Park and Ride isn't bad though.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What exactly do they have to do to that building?
My feeling is nothing. 200M+ in upgrades since the stadium opened.

Players say that many of the facilities are NFL standards.

Story today is that Edmonton may need financial help from the province (city council actually more inept than what we have in Calgary) so I can't see that a new stadium is in the cards.

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
My feeling is nothing. 200M+ in upgrades since the stadium opened.

Players say that many of the facilities are NFL standards.

Story today is that Edmonton may need financial help from the province (city council actually more inept than what we have in Calgary) so I can't see that a new stadium is in the cards.
I read that article too. Seems like there is a lot that is amiss in Edmonton City Hall since the past Federal Minister of Infrastructure and Communities became mayor. How ironic to hold that portfolio and then drive Edmonton into the ditch. There will be no money for stadium expenses.

I do think the issue with the stadium is that it’s too big for CFL football. A stadium around 30k seems to best fit the league model but in Edmonton there is so much more wrong with the franchise than the stadium size.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I read that article too. Seems like there is a lot that is amiss in Edmonton City Hall since the past Federal Minister of Infrastructure and Communities became mayor. How ironic to hold that portfolio and then drive Edmonton into the ditch. There will be no money for stadium expenses.

I do think the issue with the stadium is that it’s too big for CFL football. A stadium around 30k seems to best fit the league model but in Edmonton there is so much more wrong with the franchise than the stadium size.
Yes and that's another reason why you can't spend big bucks on a new stadium when you know there's a chance that there won't be a team to play in the facility. If it wasn't for private ownership in Calgary and Toronto the league would already be gone.

Reactions: brentashton

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
1711937654641.png

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Vic is yet another example of how the EE seemed to zero in on poor hires--for the last 20 years. That's the biggest reason that they are in serious financial trouble. Granted, it was a perfect storm that had many factors but when you consistently hire the wrong people.....
And make the wrong marketing decisions.....

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Maybe he was excited about the 75th anniversary helmet decal

I get why they changed the name, but I find it really cringeworthy to keep conflating the Eskimos with the Elks.

Reactions: Valhallis

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Maybe he was excited about the 75th anniversary helmet decal

I get why they changed the name, but I find it really cringeworthy to keep conflating the Eskimos with the Elks.

It's the same franchise. They didn't change Presidents, the Manager, or have a dispersal and expansion draft so I see it reasonable to consider it the same franchise.

Would it be fair that Yusuf Islam can't lay claim to Cat Stevens' music because he changed his name.
Would it make sense to exclude Cassius Clay's career accomplishments because he changed his name to Mohammed Ali.

It's the same franchise, playing in the same city and the same building.

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's the same franchise. They didn't change Presidents, the Manager, or have a dispersal and expansion draft so I see it reasonable to consider it the same franchise.

Would it be fair that Yusuf Islam can't lay claim to Cat Stevens' music because he changed his name.
Would it make sense to exclude Cassius Clay's career accomplishments because he changed his name to Mohammed Ali.

It's the same franchise, playing in the same city and the same building.
Once an Eskimo always an Eskimo!:D

• Haha
Reactions: bone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad