CFL 2024

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Not sure how I feel about this as the corresponding move….

I’m torn as well. End of the day I want the team to be better, but MBT is likely a one and done upgrade, not a long term solution. Would be the end of Ford here, who may or may not be THE guy, but at this point I think I’d like to see how he pans out.

Reactions: guymez

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I’m torn as well. End of the day I want the team to be better, but MBT is likely a one and done upgrade, not a long term solution. Would be the end of Ford here, who may or may not be THE guy, but at this point I think I’d like to see how he pans out.
You see how far the quality of QBs in the CFL has fallen when MBT is the prize free agent.

I haven't watched him too much. Didn't he get cut in the XFL after a few games? What is his mobility like?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You see how far the quality of QBs in the CFL has fallen when MBT is the prize free agent.

I haven't watched him too much. Didn't he get cut in the XFL after a few games? What is his mobility like?

No, He went to the USFL, led the league in passing yards, finished 2nd in efficiency for QBs that were regular starters. His team finished 2nd in the standings and he was eliminated in the semi-final playing the number 1 team whose starting QB was league MVP as the number 1 QB in efficiency, passing touchdowns and number 3 in yards who also happened to finish 6th in the entire league for rushing as well.

All in all most would say his trip south was fairly successful, but fell short of the prize against a better opponent.

I don't remember much about MBT's mobility, but rushing wasn't a big part of his game, so wouldn't say it's one of his strengths, though I don't remember whether he was sacked often.

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I put this into the CFL 2023 thread then noticed this one. Look for another team to make a trade offer for Tre Ford. The EE don’t want to trade him.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
MBT signs for one year for 500K if all incentives reached. Jones sure knows how to piss away money. Goodbye Ford, hope he's a star in the league for years to come.

Last edited:

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I’m actually down in the dumps with this move, I renewed my season tickets solely on the fact that watching Ford was exciting, I know he wasn’t perfect but you don’t get to watch that level of scrambling at any level other then NFL for the most part, really pegged him as CFL Kyler Murray. I hope this isn’t the end of him in Edmonton, my son is going to be devastated.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I’m actually down in the dumps with this move, I renewed my season tickets solely on the fact that watching Ford was exciting, I know he wasn’t perfect but you don’t get to watch that level of scrambling at any level other then NFL for the most part, really pegged him as CFL Kyler Murray. I hope this isn’t the end of him in Edmonton, my son is going to be devastated.
I would suspect his agent is on the phone right now with Jones, trying to facilitate a trdae. No way he stays as a backup for the year, plus the public negativity from Jones about Ford is probably even worse in private. Jones just doesn't like the guy. So we will get one year of MBT, who may or may not be an upgrade on Ford, and then have no QB for the 2025 season. This has a decent probability of blowing up big time.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
I think this is a great move. I am tired of losing, and MBT is a legit QB, who gives us the best chance to win. Winning puts people in seats, its that simple.

Ford, while brilliant at times, is a one trick pony. Toward the end of the year you could see teams starting to figure him out. Hopefully he stays as a backup to learn from MBT.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Unless that O line is improved it won’t matter. It’s will be sack city every game. At least Ford can run away from pressure at times.

Reactions: Yuke

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I didnt realize that MBT was going to be 36 this season.
That changes things for me. He likely only has a few years left in the tank so he might well be a good mentor for Ford.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I like Ford but he still has a ways to go with his passing game.

This could be the year that he takes that next step but you have to assume that MBT is going to get most of the snaps-- barring injury. But few Qbs play all 18 games so the EE might be thinking that you can't go into the season with just Ford. You have to have some insurance and in terms of recruiting young Qbs its tough for the whole league and not just the Esks. Hence a 36 year old chucker is the best bet.

We'll see what the plan is once we get to training camp but on another note--can the EE afford to pay any player $500K a year?

The biggest concern (that I have) is not the QB situation but the fact that there are 2 years left in the stabilization fund at the current burn rate. I would like to get an update on the possible sale of the team to a private owner. I can't see the public business model changing much in the next few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
What would the sale of the Eskimos look like? What would the price be and who would it be paid to? If it is made before the ash is burned up how do we know it isn't just a cash grab?

Reactions: bellagiobob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad