CFL 2024

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I’m not sure that the real estate opportunities in that area are that lucrative. Nothing like what the Ice District has become, with a building that holds 100+ events a year and helps draw the crowds that support the businesses. Commonwealth might have 12 events in a good year. I just hope these goofballs don’t eff this up. Be interesting how far former Esk Garrick Jones group will gett try on the process. He was on multiple local media outlets today campaigning for his group to be the new owners.
I just don’t see a real estate play here around commonwealth. My concern would,be Katz trying to parlay this into a new event stadium in ice district 2. The last thing this city needs is to mothball common wealth and build some crappy midsize stadium. Commonwealth gets this city stadium tour acts, and while it’s not some tremendous facility it doesn’t need to be.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I’m not sure that the real estate opportunities in that area are that lucrative. Nothing like what the Ice District has become, with a building that holds 100+ events a year and helps draw the crowds that support the businesses. Commonwealth might have 12 events in a good year. I just hope these goofballs don’t eff this up. Be interesting how far former Esk Garrick Jones group will gett try on the process. He was on multiple local media outlets today campaigning for his group to be the new owners.
It certainly won’t be anything like the multi billion dollar development that Ice district is. I’m really not all that familiar with the area so I don’t know how viable an option it would be but as I mentioned earlier this seems like the Elks trying to add value to make it a more attractive opportunity.

What I know about all of this comes from someone who has been approached and had discussions surrounding if he would have interest in buying the team should the board decide to explore a sale. He’s local, has very deep pockets and is a long time fan and supporter of the Eskimos. but as he put it to me, there’s no meat on that bone, it needs large injections of capital in the short term and long term there are questions about the leagues viability.

Reactions: bellagiobob

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It certainly won’t be anything like the multi billion dollar development that Ice district is. I’m really not all that familiar with the area so I don’t know how viable an option it would be but as I mentioned earlier this seems like the Elks trying to add value to make it a more attractive opportunity.

What I know about all of this comes from someone who has been approached and had discussions surrounding if he would have interest in buying the team should the board decide to explore a sale. He’s local, has very deep pockets and is a long time fan and supporter of the Eskimos. but as he put it to me, there’s no meat on that bone, it needs large injections of capital in the short term and long term there are questions about the leagues viability.

Any sort of significant capital investment is a major gamble too. At this point I wonder if the league's popularity has sunk low enough that even if all the problems were "fixed" that it wouldn't make an appreciable difference in revenue/profit potential.

In the short term, simply bringing back the folks that moved on is probably the best you can do. TV ratings are still strong, there are definitely people that stopped going that you could bring back. Attracting new fans that give you recurring revenue via season's tickets? I'm not sure how much meat is on that bone in terms of opportunity either. These are the people you would need to bring in as loyal fans to justify major investment.

The last 10-15 years of the franchise have been "dark" to say the least in terms of general interest, and its tough to make up for a lost decade as far as sports loyalty is concerned. Especially when almost all football fans would instantly compare and contrast with the NFL.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Actually, when they hired Rick L, I knew they were f***ed, long before he opened his mouth. He was part of the problem before. They asked for this with all of their woke and stupid changes and hirings, they deserve this mess. Trouble is, our beloved former team is the one to be sacrificed at the alter of stupidity and political correctness and will possibly become extinct. If there is a new owner, I would hope he sets the groundrules, not the BOD. They can't possibly be any worse. And the BOD is in no position to start dictating their culture to anyone.
Lalecheur had nothing to do with the name change. It was the woke board who were pressured by two sponsors, one who left the following season.

Reactions: brentashton

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Lalecheur had nothing to do with the name change. It was the woke board who were pressured by two sponsors, one who left the following season.
The EE need someone with deep pockets and a commitment that says "just win baby." If you want to be politically involved to make social commentary then run for office but leave the team alone so they can play football. That's what fans come to see.

Well, here's hoping that a sale is made before the season starts.

What potential owner names are being offered up around Edmonton?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The EE need someone with deep pockets and a commitment that says "just win baby." If you want to be politically involved to make social commentary then run for office but leave the team alone so they can play football. That's what fans come to see.

The only group I’ve heard of so far is the Garrick Jones group, which is apparently backed by 300 former pro players. They’ve been very public about it since November.

Reactions: MoontoScott

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The only group I’ve heard of so far is the Garrick Jones group, which is apparently backed by 300 former pro players. They’ve been very public about it since November.
I like the notion of "former pro players" because it suggests that its some people who truly understand the game.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
But wasn't Ambrosie a former player as well? Look how that turned out...
True, just because you are an ex-football player it doesn't make you good football management material but on the flip side how many ex-football players have been on the EE board in the last 20 years? Tom Richards is the only name that comes to mind.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I never said he had anything to do with the name change. Just that there were problems when he was here before. I believe he was the one that was around when Tillman was hired.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

Only one I heard rumored was the Gregg group who own the Riverhawks baseball team. They have the pockets and there would opportunity for cross promotion.

I have no interest in Garrick Jones. He spent all of one season here and thinks he knows what it means to be part of this community and football culture. We need local and I can't see the board thinking different.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Only one I heard rumored was the Gregg group who own the Riverhawks baseball team. They have the pockets and there would opportunity for cross promotion.

I have no interest in Garrick Jones. He spent all of one season here and thinks he knows what it means to be part of this community and football culture. We need local and I can't see the board thinking different.
To be honest, I have been a die hard Eskimo fan for many years and when I heard the name Garrick Jones I didn't recognize it.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Not directed at you but that isn’t an overwhelming vote of confidence. Many CFL players are working labour and retail post-football. Their heart might be in the right place but their pocketbooks collectively don’t turn the dial. The sentiment is good though. Means he loves the league I guess. Never heard of him.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Not sure if it's sad or funny that Simon thinks that Ford will stay as a backup for the next few years.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I’ve been a Ford supporter but if CJones and GSimon think he ain’t ready, I gotta go with their assessment over us here.
You do realize they both thought that Cornelius was ready, and he turned out to be one of the worst starting QB's in CFL history, despite pretty much every armchair QB out there who knew he was a dud. Jones has been an unmitigated disaster since coming back here, and has done very little right. Who the hell even knows what Simon does, but if it's helping with contracts and scouting, I would say he's the one that needs training wheels. For him to say that they plan to go with MBT for the next few years, as opposed to even offering up a competitive environment for the best man to take the job, is insulting to Ford, and puts us right back to where we were, with jobs given to favorites before camp starts, and with endless rope given. So far Simon just appears to be another ex Lion like Buono that has /continues to kick us in the nuts.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
You do realize they both thought that Cornelius was ready, and he turned out to be one of the worst starting QB's in CFL history, despite pretty much every armchair QB out there who knew he was a dud. Jones has been an unmitigated disaster since coming back here, and has done very little right. Who the hell even knows what Simon does, but if it's helping with contracts and scouting, I would say he's the one that needs training wheels. For him to say that they plan to go with MBT for the next few years, as opposed to even offering up a competitive environment for the best man to take the job, is insulting to Ford, and puts us right back to where we were, with jobs given to favorites before camp starts, and with endless rope given. So far Simon just appears to be another ex Lion like Buono that has /continues to kick us in the nuts.
I’m not saying they hit home runs in every assessment. I’m saying collectively they played/coached/GMd in a league that I didn’t (and most other posters) so can assume they probably know more than most other participants in this thread. Like any personnel decisions, history will decide if they were right or wrong.

Ford has looked very good at times but he has also looked extremely raw and not ready for prime time as well. I wish him nothing but success. I’d love to see a Canadian QB crushing it in this league again.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
I believe MBT should be our starting QB next year, and then evaluate the next offseason after if Tre should be our starter.

For them to state that MBT is our starter for a few years is stupid. Ford is a free agent after this upcoming season, why would he stay now?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I’m not saying they hit home runs in every assessment. I’m saying collectively they played/coached/GMd in a league that I didn’t (and most other posters) so can assume they probably know more than most other participants in this thread. Like any personnel decisions, history will decide if they were right or wrong.

Ford has looked very good at times but he has also looked extremely raw and not ready for prime time as well. I wish him nothing but success. I’d love to see a Canadian QB crushing it in this league again.
Playing and coaching doesn’t necessarily make you suited for management roles. Some of the worst management types I’ve seen in various sports have been ex coaches and players. To come out and say that your dynamic young QB who is a free agent at the end of this year will be the backup for multiple seasons was beyond idiotic.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Playing and coaching doesn’t necessarily make you suited for management roles. Some of the worst management types I’ve seen in various sports have been ex coaches and players. To come out and say that your dynamic young QB who is a free agent at the end of this year will be the backup for multiple seasons was beyond idiotic.
Some of the best too have been players an coaches.

John Hufngagel
Bill Baker
Wally Buono
Ralph Sazio
Bob Obillovich
Lyle Bauer
Kyle Walters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad