CFL 2024

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think its very unlikely that the EE will trade Ford.

You have a 36 year old starter and at that age skills can deteriorate quickly. Add to that the fact that very CFL Qbs start all 18 games so at least for this season I think Ford will be here.

As for next year well he is from Southern Ontario so you have to think that the T-Cats and Red Blacks will both be very interested.

Ford himself has to learn that the #1 spot is not easy to get and not easy to hold on to.

All that said, my best guess is that the Will doppelganger will retire and the the Esks will sign Ford to an extension.

Meantime, let's see what they can sign for defensive players come next month. Apart from Morgan I don't see too many high caliber players in the front seven and the DBs remain a concern as they have been for a decade. Hard to believe that the Esks have had such a tough time recruiting good defensive players for so long.
1 is the answer you are looking for this past season lol

Wasn't there like 20 starters last year or something stupid? In a 9 team league.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Outsider viewpoint but huge disrespect for the major bright spot who emerged during an epic, sustained organization fail over the past several seasons. Tre Ford finally got starter opportunity after his 'Merican GM/HC thoroughly exhausted his poor choices ahead of him and electrified the team to win games and spark some fan interest. Then rewarded by Jones going carpetbagging for a old, short-term QB.

Doesn't sound like a lot of faith or respect for the Canadian baller who's a perfect template for CFL QB.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Outsider viewpoint but huge disrespect for the major bright spot who emerged during an epic, sustained organization fail over the past several seasons. Tre Ford finally got starter opportunity after his 'Merican GM/HC thoroughly exhausted his poor choices ahead of him and electrified the team to win games and spark some fan interest. Then rewarded by Jones going carpetbagging for a old, short-term QB.

Doesn't sound like a lot of faith or respect for the Canadian baller who's a perfect template for CFL QB.
For once I'm with Jones--- on this one.

Ford isn't owed anything even after his emergence last season. Being a proven starter takes more than that. They had to sign a "Merican" somewhere in the off season or go in with essentially Ford and Doege---that would have been pretty shaky.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

IMO Ford does have major flaws in his game that would prevent him from truly being top tier Grey Cup level starter. He has a weak arm and has problems getting the ball out quickly. These are manageable problems if you work with him, but they are problems nonetheless. IMO it wouldn't be a ridiculous opinion for a qualified football person to look at his game and think that there isn't a full time starter there on a top level team.

However, having said that there is zero reason to give up on him completely or even shuffle him aside at this point in time. There is more than enough in his game to make even the biggest skeptic want to work with him, have him involved in the offence regardless of MBT, and have a plan to work on his flaws and see where it goes.

The "f*** him, don't care about his opinion" tact Jones is taking is frankly stupid and negligent.

Reactions: bone

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Ford isn't owed anything even after his emergence last season. Being a proven starter takes more than that. They had to sign a "Merican" somewhere in the off season or go in with essentially Ford and Doege---that would have been pretty shaky.
Respect your opinion. Mine's an outsider voice and proponent of more Cancon in the CFL especially at skill positions. Ford was really the only compelling reason to watch the Elkimos last season and when finally getting a chance actually produced team wins. I hope for an Edmonton revival in context of the league's need only as a Riders fan.

Reactions: Vagabond

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
IMO Ford does have major flaws in his game that would prevent him from truly being top tier Grey Cup level starter. He has a weak arm and has problems getting the ball out quickly. These are manageable problems if you work with him, but they are problems nonetheless. IMO it wouldn't be a ridiculous opinion for a qualified football person to look at his game and think that there isn't a full time starter there on a top level team.

However, having said that there is zero reason to give up on him completely or even shuffle him aside at this point in time. There is more than enough in his game to make even the biggest skeptic want to work with him, have him involved in the offence regardless of MBT, and have a plan to work on his flaws and see where it goes.

The "f*** him, don't care about his opinion" tact Jones is taking is frankly stupid and negligent.
Appreciate your pov. Replied above to @MoontoScott my opinion is an outsider one. Will say though that I'm not sure Ford can be definitively declared as flawed to reach potential as a top CFL QB. He had only just established himself after finally having Jones go soft on his prototypical big drop back rocket armed American QB which he bet huge money on. Lots of very good intangibles with Ford - his decision making seems pretty good; dual option threat; and abilities to make plays (ties with decision making). Arm strength could be better but critical to also have receivers who create separation in coverage which I felt was an issue for the Elkimos.

Regarding Jones, there's no reason to not throw a bone to the QB who quite likely saved his dual job last year stepping up with wins and exciting play to breath life into his corpse team.

Reactions: Vagabond and K1984

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Respect your opinion. Mine's an outsider voice and proponent of more Cancon in the CFL especially at skill positions. Ford was really the only compelling reason to watch the Elkimos last season and when finally getting a chance actually produced team wins. I hope for an Edmonton revival in context of the league's need only as a Riders fan.
Canadian content is certainly important and the lack thereof has contributed to the downfall of the EE club.

Home grown QBs make for good press but since the 3 spots can be either Canadian or American then its not a ratio buster situation.

The CFL will never be an all-Canadian league because there just isn't enough Canadian talent to go around. The Eskies have struggled to find 5 mandatory Canadian starters for at least the last 5 years. If they had to find (assume) half of the starting roster with just 49th parallel guys then I don't know who would want to watch that. The quality isn't great to begin with.

Its interesting that a number of people said before last season that Cornelius shouldn't have been guaranteed anything and I agree with that but all I am saying is that Ford isn't either because he's not (yet) a bonafide starter. Hopefully he will get some chances this season to show that he has taken a further step up.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

And in some ways, could you not argue this is giving him a pretty reasonable chance to gradually take the reigns.

They are signing a mid-30s QB that already left the league once since his wife arguably has the better and more sustainable career, not a 30 year old QB expecting to play another 3-5 years.

Provided MBT is coming here with the mindset that getting reps for Ford is the plan and he supports it, this could be the best thing as Tre can come in and be the hero a few times this year maybe go out and get a win in a surprise start or two and really build up a resume for a real starters opportunity wherever that may be next year.

If he went in as the de facto starter on a still somewhat fragile team and the team goes out and only plays to another 4-14 record as teams figure out how to contain him (and they showed signs of figuring him out later on in the year), perhaps his opportunities for 2025 aren't so fruitful.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Canadian content is certainly important and the lack thereof has contributed to the downfall of the EE club.

Home grown QBs make for good press but since the 3 spots can be either Canadian or American then its not a ratio buster situation.

The CFL will never be an all-Canadian league because there just isn't enough Canadian talent to go around. The Eskies have struggled to find 5 mandatory Canadian starters for at least the last 5 years. If they had to find (assume) half of the starting roster with just 49th parallel guys then I don't know who would want to watch that. The quality isn't great to begin with.

Its interesting that a number of people said before last season that Cornelius shouldn't have been guaranteed anything and I agree with that but all I am saying is that Ford isn't either because he's not (yet) a bonafide starter. Hopefully he will get some chances this season to show that he has taken a further step up.
Appreciate your perspective. I'd say two of the biggest stories in this moribund pro league the past couple of years have been Canadian QB's breaking down the perceived walls of this skill, leadership position. Rourke and Ford delivered on field success to struggling franchises and brought positive attention to the struggling CFL league. Good press is a valuable consideration with this professional league struggling for relevance and financial stability.

Regarding Ford's situation, no one is guaranteed or entitled to any roster spot in professional sports. However there is likely a more nuanced, positive approach that can be made to communicate this reality (unless I'm missing context in Jones's interview beyond the sound bite). He'll all in on a league jumping mid-30's QB signed for one-year while not apparently acknowledging a strong, developing QB that produced when finally given a shot.

My bias comes from a place of watching and enjoying U Sports football. I'd just like more room for homegrown talent to play after their student athlete days.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Appreciate your pov. Replied above to @MoontoScott my opinion is an outsider one. Will say though that I'm not sure Ford can be definitively declared as flawed to reach potential as a top CFL QB. He had only just established himself after finally having Jones go soft on his prototypical big drop back rocket armed American QB which he bet huge money on. Lots of very good intangibles with Ford - his decision making seems pretty good; dual option threat; and abilities to make plays (ties with decision making). Arm strength could be better but critical to also have receivers who create separation in coverage which I felt was an issue for the Elkimos.

Regarding Jones, there's no reason to not throw a bone to the QB who quite likely saved his dual job last year stepping up with wins and exciting play to breath life into his corpse team.
I think Ford has potential to be a really good starter in the league. But last year, he was forcefed that role on a squad that had a lot of holes throughout, so although he got some needed experience, it was a rough ride after some early success. I think having a reasonably competent veteran hand to watch and study, and then hopefully still get some playing time will be beneficial to his development, rather than running for his life for another 18 games. And as has been stated on here a few times already, the way QB's go down with injuries in this league, he'll very likely get more than his fair share of minutes.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
And in some ways, could you not argue this is giving him a pretty reasonable chance to gradually take the reigns.

They are signing a mid-30s QB that already left the league once since his wife arguably has the better and more sustainable career, not a 30 year old QB expecting to play another 3-5 years.

Provided MBT is coming here with the mindset that getting reps for Ford is the plan and he supports it, this could be the best thing as Tre can come in and be the hero a few times this year maybe go out and get a win in a surprise start or two and really build up a resume for a real starters opportunity wherever that may be next year.

If he went in as the de facto starter on a still somewhat fragile team and the team goes out and only plays to another 4-14 record as teams figure out how to contain him (and they showed signs of figuring him out later on in the year), perhaps his opportunities for 2025 aren't so fruitful.
What you have said here is logical.

Even if the EE didn't sign Will they would have signed at least 2 other arms going into camp and those 2 guys are not going to concede the spot to Ford anyway. In pro sports, other guys are always looking to take your spot.

Let's hope that they are not playing to a "4-14 record" or I can guarantee you that the stabilization fund will be gone in 2 years.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
What you have said here is logical.

Even if the EE didn't sign Will they would have signed at least 2 other arms going into camp and those 2 guys are not going to concede the spot to Ford anyway. In pro sports, other guys are always looking to take your spot.

Let's hope that they are not playing to a "4-14 record" or I can guarantee you that the stabilization fund will be gone n 2 years.

Precisely why they needed to go in with more than just one option at QB with one of them being at least somewhat proven in the role. As stubborn as Jones is, I can't imagine if MBT stumbles out of the gate to 0-3 that he won't give Ford a chance now that Ford has won 5 games in the league, so now we have two options to try and get back into the playoffs.

Looking at the experienced guys that could be available that you could trust to lead a team, there really isn't much left out there. Maybe BLM shakes loose or Harris and possibly Masoli if he wants another shot and out of those 3 and MBT, I like MBT the best at this moment in time.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think Ford has potential to be a really good starter in the league. But last year, he was forcefed that role on a squad that had a lot of holes throughout, so although he got some needed experience, it was a rough ride after some early success. I think having a reasonably competent veteran hand to watch and study, and then hopefully still get some playing time will be beneficial to his development, rather than running for his life for another 18 games. And as has been stated on here a few times already, the way QB's go down with injuries in this league, he'll very likely get more than his fair share of minutes.
Maybe. What you're saying is really the obvious public messaging GM/HC/Bottlewasher Jones had opportunity to say in public comments. I didn't see that in his quote but again I haven't listened to his full interview for context. Jones went to the wall playing and paying Cornelius who checked all the physical boxes of a prototypical QB but really hasn't shown that belief or trust in the guy who actually delivered for him.

Young players have to receive a chance to play and succeed or fail. Ford largely did that in a team stalled in sustained losing culture. Will be interesting to watch the QB dynamic though again I'm an outsider voice in this whole discussion. I have to hope the Riders own ancient flinger can come back and lead their own disaster franchise!

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Maybe. What you're saying is really the obvious public messaging GM/HC/Bottlewasher Jones had opportunity to say in public comments. I didn't see that in his quote but again I haven't listened to his full interview for context. Jones went to the wall playing and paying Cornelius who checked all the physical boxes of a prototypical QB but really hasn't shown that belief or trust in the guy who actually delivered for him.

Young players have to receive a chance to play and succeed or fail. Ford largely did that in a team stalled in sustained losing culture. Will be interesting to watch the QB dynamic though again I'm an outsider voice in this whole discussion. I have to hope the Riders own ancient flinger can come back and lead their own disaster franchise!

Maybe this in itself is part of the reason Jones didn't want to bank on a 2nd/3rd year player as his number 1. Cornelius went from not being dressed to eventually being the starter and pulled off some good wins for the team in Jones' first year leading him to go all in on him improving further and becoming a starter. Ford's journey last year was in many ways similar to Cornelius' the year before, albeit in a little more spectacular/entertaining fashion.

Going into his 3rd season with his starter having less than a season's worth of starts again to see it fail likely ends his career in football so Jones is trying to make sure things get off to a much better start. And lets face it, starting this year with your trio being MBT, Ford and Doege is light years better than him starting with Cornelius, Locksley and Doege like he did last year.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Maybe this in itself is part of the reason Jones didn't want to bank on a 2nd/3rd year player as his number 1. Cornelius went from not being dressed to eventually being the starter and pulled off some good wins for the team in Jones' first year leading him to go all in on him improving further and becoming a starter. Ford's journey last year was in many ways similar to Cornelius' the year before, albeit in a little more spectacular/entertaining fashion.

Going into his 3rd season with his starter having less than a season's worth of starts again to see it fail likely ends his career in football so Jones is trying to make sure things get off to a much better start. And lets face it, starting this year with your trio being MBT, Ford and Doege is light years better than him starting with Cornelius, Locksley and Doege like he did last year.
Jones pushed all his chips to the table with Cornelius before the player really earned that trust on-field or financially. It's cost the Elkimos $100,000 to extricate from their GM/HC's poor read. I don't know Ford's salary but a different approach might have been to sign a 1B veteran QB to mentor and support Ford's development with a safety net to play if he faltered. Jones opted for big money and number 1. The pattern of behaviour between GM/HC and the player has been one of little trust until his guy's epic fail necessitated trying Ford (likely with his job(s) on the line.

Ultimately it's a very short leash on Jones. So he's banking on an established veteran QB on a one-year deal. Nothing in what he's said (again my context is limited to only the quote here) is with a long-term development consideration to build upon the promise Ford showed when finally given a shot. Motivation seems self-preservation.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I think he was at least owed the courtesy of a phone call from Jones to let him know what the teams plans were. I mean he was their starting QB, I'd be more than pissed off to know I'd been replaced by reading about it on social media.

Reactions: fresh meat

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Jones pushed all his chips to the table with Cornelius before the player really earned that trust on-field or financially. It's cost the Elkimos $100,000 to extricate from their GM/HC's poor read. I don't know Ford's salary but a different approach might have been to sign a 1B veteran QB to mentor and support Ford's development with a safety net to play if he faltered. Jones opted for big money and number 1. The pattern of behaviour between GM/HC and the player has been one of little trust until his guy's epic fail necessitated trying Ford (likely with his job(s) on the line.

Ultimately it's a very short leash on Jones. So he's banking on an established veteran QB on a one-year deal. Nothing in what he's said (again my context is limited to only the quote here) is with a long-term development consideration to build upon the promise Ford showed when finally given a shot. Motivation seems self-preservation.
The problem is... who is that one year 1B veteran QB willing to straight up share duties on the cheap.

BLM wouldn't come cheap and wouldn't agree to it as a backup.
Harris is a dink to his peers and is always about himself being the starter.
Collaros ain't leaving Winnipeg and would be starter if not
Masoli is likely broken
Dane Evans is retired.
Fajardo ain't going anywhere now.
Dom Davis... no thanks.
Mat Schiltz... no thanks.
Arbuckle... lolololololol
Prukop... no thanks

After that we're into Pipkin and other guys that were first contract players last year territory.

MBT quite literally was likely the only real option available that has as many reps as a starter with some kind success that would be available and willing to work with Tre to develop him.

I think he was at least owed the courtesy of a phone call from Jones to let him know what the teams plans were. I mean he was their starting QB, I'd be more than pissed off to know I'd been replaced by reading about it on social media.
I agree here. I've come to like the move, but it would have been better if Ford heard it first from Jones.

Reactions: joestevens29

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Yup, this is a save my ass move by Jones. In theory it sounds wonderful, experienced player coming in, plays well, mentors young up and comer, who takes over the following year. But I suspect it's more along the lines that Jones has no confidence in Ford's ability, doesn't like the player, Ford already made him look like an ass last year, and that 2025 and beyond is likely somebody else's problem.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The problem is... who is that one year 1B veteran QB willing to straight up share duties on the cheap.

BLM wouldn't come cheap and wouldn't agree to it as a backup.
Harris is a dink to his peers and is always about himself being the starter.
Collaros ain't leaving Winnipeg and would be starter if not
Masoli is likely broken
Dane Evans is retired.
Fajardo ain't going anywhere now.
Dom Davis... no thanks.
Mat Schiltz... no thanks.
Arbuckle... lolololololol
Prukop... no thanks

After that we're into Pipkin and other guys that were first contract players last year territory.

MBT quite literally was likely the only real option available that has as many reps as a starter with some kind success that would be available and willing to work with Tre to develop him.

I agree here. I've come to like the move, but it would have been better if Ford heard it first from Jones.
I get your point. I just don't think it was a consideration. Think it is self-preservation mode for Jones. Thing is most GM's would likely positively promote the developmental growth, learning opportunity for the young guy publicly and in private. While a head coach would focus on the competitive aspect of winning now. Jones in both roles seems to have tunnel vision with the quote here (again I post without context which may be different). The pattern with Ford has been to diminish instead of developing and building up.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
But has he been replaced? MBT still has to win the job from him come June. How is this different than any other player who comes to camp? Nothing is guaranteed in pro sports.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

The way some people on here are talking is that Ford was almost lights out last year, so no problems this year with him in full control. The fact is that he started off with a bang, and then gradually faded, as teams collected film on him and schemed to shut him down. By the end, despite a couple brilliant plays here and there, he was completely neutered by the better defences. Lest we forget, Ford's comp last year was the incomparable Cornhole. Not exactly the highest bar you can find. I find it awfully difficult to imagine leaving him all on his lonesome to sort through another year with someone like Doege as his safety latch.

Is there info out there where it's conclusive that Jones didn't speak to Ford about this move, prior to it happening?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
But has he been replaced? MBT still has to win the job from him come June. How is this different than any other player who comes to camp? Nothing is guaranteed in pro sports.
One QB makes upwards of 500k. One around 80k. There is zero chance, barring injury, that MBT isn’t the starter. Look how long it took Jones to move on from his overpaid boy Corn. Jones has a massive ego, him admitting that he made a mistake before game 1? Not gonna happen.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The way some people on here are talking is that Ford was almost lights out last year, so no problems this year with him in full control. The fact is that he started off with a bang, and then gradually faded, as teams collected film on him and schemed to shut him down. By the end, despite a couple brilliant plays here and there, he was completely neutered by the better defences. Lest we forget, Ford's comp last year was the incomparable Cornhole. Not exactly the highest bar you can find. I find it awfully difficult to imagine leaving him all on his lonesome to sort through another year with someone like Doege as his safety latch.

Is there info out there where it's conclusive that Jones didn't speak to Ford about this move, prior to it happening?
Look at the link I posted on the previous page, Jones indicated Ford was not at all involved in the discussion.

I have no idea if Ford is the long term answer. He had his issues as the season wore on, but a lot of that was the poor infrastructure around him. What I do know is he was the only reason the last half of the season was even remotely watchable. MBT is a journeyman QB who has looked slightly above average on good teams. We don’t have a good team, and from the sounds of it have limited $ for free agents. I really hope this works out, just not getting a good vibe from it. I just don’t trust Jones.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
One QB makes upwards of 500k. One around 80k. There is zero chance, barring injury, that MBT isn’t the starter. Look how long it took Jones to both on from his overpaid boy Corn. Jones has a massive ego, him admitting that he made a mistake before game 1? Not gonna happen.
Cornelius made much much more than Ford but that didn't mean he got to hang on to the starter's job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad