CFL 2024

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I didnt realize that MBT was going to be 36 this season.
That changes things for me. He likely only has a few years left in the tank so he might well be a good mentor for Ford.
Or this might be the year his old man body gives out, Ford has left/will leave for greener pastures, and Jones panics and signs Corn again for another 450/year two year deal. ;)

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
What would the sale of the Eskimos look like? What would the price be and who would it be paid to? If it is made before the ash is burned up how do we know it isn't just a cash grab?
Hard to imagine it is worth much of anything. It is losing money, draining its strategic reserve fund and will be out of money in a few seasons. It has no hard assets unless you count football equipment, limited goodwill and brand recognition, well no.

The board would basically be looking for the best entity moving forward to sustain operations would be my guess.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What would the sale of the Eskimos look like? What would the price be and who would it be paid to? If it is made before the ash is burned up how do we know it isn't just a cash grab?
I might be wrong but I don't think anybody is going to actually "pay" for the club. It will probably be a case of taking over operations with the hope of getting "back in black". The biggest hurdle would probably be the Commonwealth stadium lease and revenue sharing agreements with the city. Those agreements are already in place with the old public entity so I'm sure a sale could happen.

The biggest question is "who" will take over the club and be prepared to take some losses. If Katz was interested I think it would already be done.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I think this is a great move. I am tired of losing, and MBT is a legit QB, who gives us the best chance to win. Winning puts people in seats, its that simple.

Ford, while brilliant at times, is a one trick pony. Toward the end of the year you could see teams starting to figure him out. Hopefully he stays as a backup to learn from MBT.
According to the reports, MBT will be signing for 1 year. Not coincidentally, Ford has a year left on his contract. If handled properly (huge IF), I could see this turning into something similar to the Wilkie/Moon situation from back in tbe heyday. That would be the best-case scenario, which I think I'll go for today over the usual doom and gloom.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
According to the reports, MBT will be signing for 1 year. Not coincidentally, Ford has a year left on his contract. If handled properly (huge IF), I could see this turning into something similar to the Wilkie/Moon situation from back in tbe heyday. That would be the best-case scenario, which I think I'll go for today over the usual doom and gloom.
With a night to sleep on it, that’s what I’m going with as well. Only way to stay sane. :)

Reactions: abootzky

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Massive upgrade in both experience and competency.
Good riddence to Cornelius.
Corn seems like a very nice guy and I wish him all the best.

I think he might be well suited to a back up role with another team. Let's face it--the coaching we have seen with the EE sucks. He wasn't the only under performer. With some better tutoring he might be able to improve his game.

Corn shouldn't have been the starter for so many games but that's on Jones who was so stubborn about the situation--not to mention the contract he gave Cornelius but hey if you wanted to give me a large salary and the starting position at QB then I'd take it too.

I wonder if Doege will return? I suspect that they will be looking for someone with more mobility to be the 3rd arm on the roster.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I think he might be well suited to a back up role with another team. Let's face it--the coaching we have seen with the EE sucks. He wasn't the only under performer. With some better tutoring he might be able to improve his game.

Corn shouldn't have been the starter for so many games but that's on Jones who was so stubborn about the situation--not to mention the contract he gave Cornelius but hey if you wanted to give me a large salary and the starting position at QB then I'd take it too.

I wonder if Doege will return? I suspect that they will be looking for someone with more mobility to be the 3rd arm on the roster.
I was disappointed in Corn in his approach to start the season. Got the big money, veteran guy who we needed leadership from, and he absolutely mailed in the crucial first two games of the season. And then his visible pouting on the bench when Ford was having success as his replacement. Glad he’s gone, wouldn’t doubt that the players are as well, as many of them were publicly thrilled when Ford was named starter.

Reactions: Valhallis

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That’s a pretty heady comparison.

Would be great for the CFL were it to happen.

Reactions: abootzky

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I was disappointed in Corn in his approach to start the season. Got the big money, veteran guy who we needed leadership from, and he absolutely mailed in the crucial first two games of the season. And then his visible pouting on the bench when Ford was having success as his replacement. Glad he’s gone, wouldn’t doubt that the players are as well, as many of them were publicly thrilled when Ford was named starter.
I never really got that from watching him but I wasn't paying too much attention to him once Ford became the starter. There were also some accusations that Ford was being pouty too--so I don't know. Maybe that was just Jone's impression of the situation. It was all such a sh*t show. Disappointing attitudes and performances all around. Let's hope that the worst is behind the team and we shall see a higher degree of professionalism this season.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
My worry about this signing is the hefty pricetag and how it will affect our ability to sign other players in key positions.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
My worry about this signing is the hefty pricetag and how it will affect our ability to sign other players in key positions.
MBT has been a fairly average QB that had decent success behind a team with a good oline and a solid D. Without some fairly significant upgrades to the oline my worry is he’s going to look pretty average to below average.

Reactions: Valhallis

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hopefully Will Ferrell's doppelganger makes it to Labour Day. Not the most mobile individual, not a spring chicken, and with an offensive line that is mediocre at best, along with limited $$$ to spend on any upgrades, this might be another of Jones' "Chiarelli moves' to sewer the team before his ultimate departure.

But hey, at least we finally got rid of Cornhole. Not sure who else we can pin a good nickname on now.:D

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Fair points.

Nothing personal with Cornelius. I would just prefer that the team spend that money elsewhere.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
That’s a pretty heady comparison.

Would be great for the CFL were it to happen.
That would be great but please let me emphasize my strategic use of qualifying words like "huge IF", "similar" and "best case scenario" when making that heady comparison. I'm not expecting MBT and/or Ford to become Hall of Famers north and south of the border. I'll be satisfied if Bethel-Thompson stabilizes the Elks' QB room and if the coaches allow both him & Tre the opportunity to be productive this coming season.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That would be great but please let me emphasize my strategic use of qualifying words like "huge IF", "similar" and "best case scenario" when making that heady comparison. I'm not expecting MBT and/or Ford to become Hall of Famers north and south of the border. I'll be satisfied if Bethel-Thompson stabilizes the Elks' QB room and if the coaches allow both him & Tre the opportunity to be productive this coming season.
Oh ya, caught the caveats. (And I agree with them too). :)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
While I hear the comments and generally feel the same that I'm not sure I like what this does for Ford's future in Edmonton, but I don't really see where he can just go out and demand a trade and be guaranteed a starting spot anyways.

BC - VAJ is the starter and Evans is a capable injury replacement
Calgary - I don't think they'd give up on Meier quite yet as his numbers were pretty decent, it's just the whole team around him took a step back.
Saskatchewan - still has Harris and had two young QBs of their own showing some promise last year.
Winnipeg - Collaros still has as many games in him as MBT would
Toronto - Kelly is now entrenched there
Montreal - No way they don't let Fajardo run their offense after last year and Evans did well in relief.
Hamilton - Likely give BLM one more shot and still have Schiltz and Powell so even if they tried to get him just ask for Powell back and more, which Hamilton likely balks at for another year.
Ottawa - might be the only real option there as I'm doubtful they'll rely on Masoli, but that team is possibly a bigger mess than even Edmonton so is that really in Ford's best interest.

It all adds up to me that Edmonton is still a top 3 option in the league this year if he wants to get reps especially since he has the benefit of familiarity within the system, so why burn the bridges and see what happens league wide first and maybe teams get a little more desperate 5 or 6 games in and then a good option may present itself.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
While I hear the comments and generally feel the same that I'm not sure I like what this does for Ford's future in Edmonton, but I don't really see where he can just go out and demand a trade and be guaranteed a starting spot anyways.

BC - VAJ is the starter and Evans is a capable injury replacement
Calgary - I don't think they'd give up on Meier quite yet as his numbers were pretty decent, it's just the whole team around him took a step back.
Saskatchewan - still has Harris and had two young QBs of their own showing some promise last year.
Winnipeg - Collaros still has as many games in him as MBT would
Toronto - Kelly is now entrenched there
Montreal - No way they don't let Fajardo run their offense after last year and Evans did well in relief.
Hamilton - Likely give BLM one more shot and still have Schiltz and Powell so even if they tried to get him just ask for Powell back and more, which Hamilton likely balks at for another year.
Ottawa - might be the only real option there as I'm doubtful they'll rely on Masoli, but that team is possibly a bigger mess than even Edmonton so is that really in Ford's best interest.

It all adds up to me that Edmonton is still a top 3 option in the league this year if he wants to get reps especially since he has the benefit of familiarity within the system, so why burn the bridges and see what happens league wide first and maybe teams get a little more desperate 5 or 6 games in and then a good option may present itself.
My concern isn't so much that he will demand a trade this year, it's that he won't be back next year when MBT is likely done. It's beyond clear that Ford is not Jones guy, so one of them won't be here in 2025, at the latest. Evans also announced his retirement, so BC is looking for another QB.

Reactions: bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
My concern isn't so much that he will demand a trade this year, it's that he won't be back next year when MBT is likely done. It's beyond clear that Ford is not Jones guy, so one of them won't be here in 2025, at the latest. Evans also announced his retirement, so BC is looking for another QB.

Thanks for pointing it out. Missed that. Could see BC consider it then as a backup to VAJ or possibly if Rourke comes back for the ratio, but I also don't think that's a better situation for Ford.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think its very unlikely that the EE will trade Ford.

You have a 36 year old starter and at that age skills can deteriorate quickly. Add to that the fact that very CFL Qbs start all 18 games so at least for this season I think Ford will be here.

As for next year well he is from Southern Ontario so you have to think that the T-Cats and Red Blacks will both be very interested.

Ford himself has to learn that the #1 spot is not easy to get and not easy to hold on to.

All that said, my best guess is that the Will doppelganger will retire and the the Esks will sign Ford to an extension.

Meantime, let's see what they can sign for defensive players come next month. Apart from Morgan I don't see too many high caliber players in the front seven and the DBs remain a concern as they have been for a decade. Hard to believe that the Esks have had such a tough time recruiting good defensive players for so long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad