Value of: Ceci's next UFA contract

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Since coming to Pittsburgh, Ceci has been surprisingly like super good for the Penguins. He has 5 points in 12 games while playing over 18 minutes a night, and his analytics paint him as positives both offensively and defensively. It's even getting noticed with the eye test as well:

So if Ceci actually is a solid #4D if you use him right, what kind of contract do you think Ceci is lined up to get as a UFA next off-season? Do teams get blinded by his strong year and make the same mistakes that they've made in the past, or are they more cautious while realizing Ceci is only solid in a depth role?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Since coming to Pittsburgh, Ceci has been surprisingly like super good for the Penguins. He has 5 points in 12 games while playing over 18 minutes a night, and his analytics paint him as positives both offensively and defensively. It's even getting noticed with the eye test as well:

So if Ceci actually is a solid #4D if you use him right, what kind of contract do you think Ceci is lined up to get as a UFA next off-season? Do teams get blinded by his strong year and make the same mistakes that they've made in the past, or are they more cautious while realizing Ceci is only solid in a depth role?

Are you sure? You are not describing the Cody Ceci I saw, or anyone else saw last year

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

Well...aren't you glad that Rutherford resigned...he would give Ceci a 4x4 contract everyone else will go with the 1 yr around league min contracts

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Too early to tell. He might just be having a purple patch. If he keeps this up then maybe he could get a 2 year deal for around 2 million.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
The body of work he put up prior to this season is more indicative of the type of player he is as opposed to this current outlier. I'd be very cautious giving him anything with term. The talent was there prior to joining the league, but such a frustrating player to watch. Anything longer than 2-3 years would scare me.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ceci's had 12 games where he's averaged 18 minutes per. I'd hesitate to glean too much from that beyond having a solid start.

It's helpful to remember that at this point, Malkin is scoring at .6 P/G while ZAR is at 1.0 P/G

Reactions: Hockeygod66

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

How about a smart thing for you to do ... wait until you see a larger sample size from him before this discussion. That would be very smart ... I know ...

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I knew who ever signed Ceci would get a steal. I was laughed at when I said Ceci was better then Larsson in Edmonton

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Are you sure? You are not describing the Cody Ceci I saw, or anyone else saw last year
Dubas thought he did a lot of things that people overlooked. If he is playing well there, good for him. He will probably get around 2.5 million. He is a good 4-5 guy.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dubas thought he did a lot of things that people overlooked. If he is playing well there, good for him. He will probably get around 2.5 million. He is a good 4-5 guy.

Dubas also thought Garett Sparks was a good backup option.

Sometimes Dubas is wrong.

And in Ceci case Dubas was wrong

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
I think he has been pretty solid with the odd boo boo here and there but I want him playing no higher than his current spot as a #6 and I want a larger sample size as well.

If he keeps it up some team will overpay for him and it will be a mistake. He's perfectly fine for where he is right now.

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
Dubas also thought Garett Sparks was a good backup option.

Sometimes Dubas is wrong.

And in Ceci case Dubas was wrong
bringing in Ceci got us out of the long term of Zaitsev. which allowed us to sign Brodie. I am all for criticizing Dubas but that move is looking pretty great now

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He's a solid 4-5 that been consistently shit on for getting crushed while miscast as a 2-3 and at time 1. Hope he can find a home that uses him right.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

Solid #4 or solid bottom pair? I think the latter.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
3 years, 1.67m per.

I think he’d stay in the 1.5-2m range to get as much term as he can. Probably a 5/6 at best, only to be played on the middle pairing in case of injury or no one else to fill the void

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad