Series Talk: CDSF: Nashville Predators vs Carolina Hurricanes

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
The new 9 line is really looking dangerous. Duchene seems to have given the line a jump that Arvy couldn't. It's nice having a line that's putting up some "top line" numbers.

Or the 22 line...million that is. Still cheaper line McDrais-Hopkins.

Reactions: bdub24

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I thought they were playing well. Duchene helps that line transition and cycle a million times better than what Arvy/Tolvanen had given them so far. I'll say this is the best I have seen RyJo look since the Winnipeg elimination series. He can be really dominant when he maximizes his physical traits. It's almost frustrating to be honest.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
With that kind of production and the fact that the other PP groups have at least been serviceable and held possession. And actually have scored two goals even if one was 5v3. I like the concept of being able to put them on the ice right after the 5v5 with Josi and Carrier. Nothing like pouring it on to keep the momentum going whether the PP scores or not.

Don't know that anyone has ever tried something like this before but if it works...

Reactions: bdub24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Might be that not getting frustrated by their inability to generate on the PP helps with their psyche some too. I think Johansen and Duchene can get way too into their own heads. You can tell that they are playing much more with the flow of the game rather than trying to force it like they do when they're struggling.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Have we talked about the fact that the new power play "units" are just the Granlund line with 59/45 and Haula line with 14/4? Basically just rolling through the lines so the only thing that gets them out of whack in taking penalties.

It's not that big of a change to be honest.

Granlund, Tolvanen, and Josi remain on the first set, add Kunin and Carrier. I think Carrier has helped with the ability to enter the zone because he gives a legitimate option of someone that is able to carry the puck from the Dzone thru neutral into the offensive zone. Then the fact that he has a solid grasp of how to play at the blueline in the Ozone and doesn't panic with the puck there.

Haula, Jarnkrok, Cousins, Ekholm, and Ellis have all been on the PP this season so nothing surprising here. This set is gonna dump and chase most of the time and just try to overwhelm/out work the PK. It's worked a little so give it a chance to see where it goes.

Considering all the other implications it's an interesting set up.

Reactions: weeze and bdub24

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Have we talked about the fact that the new power play "units" are just the Granlund line with 59/45 and Haula line with 14/4? Basically just rolling through the lines so the only thing that gets them out of whack in taking penalties.

It's not that big of a change to be honest.

Granlund, Tolvanen, and Josi remain on the first set, add Kunin and Carrier. I think Carrier has helped with the ability to enter the zone because he gives a legitimate option of someone that is able to carry the puck from the Dzone thru neutral into the offensive zone. Then the fact that he has a solid grasp of how to play at the blueline in the Ozone and doesn't panic with the puck there.

Haula, Jarnkrok, Cousins, Ekholm, and Ellis have all been on the PP this season so nothing surprising here. This set is gonna dump and chase most of the time and just try to overwhelm/out work the PK. It's worked a little so give it a chance to see where it goes.

Considering all the other implications it's an interesting set up.
Still drives me nuts that they skate the puck out of our zone, through nuetral zone, all in the middle and immediately dump to the perimeter when entering the zone.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
It wouldn’t bother me at all to rest Tolvanen and put Jeannot back in. Beef it up a little bit more back in Carolina. I honestly don’t care if we see RV the rest of this series. Not even thinking about Grimaldi at all.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Tolvanen has been a few inches away from goals for a game or two, he's due for a big game. Plus he's playing very solid defensively right now, I don't see how you sit him, he's not as physical or big body as others but he's looking a lot more like himself earlier in the year, just hasn't had one hit the net yet.

Reactions: weeze and bdub24

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
If Jeannot goes in I don't see it being Tolvanen coming out. There were some shifts that Tolvanen didn't play with Granlund in a shutdown kind of roll while 5v5 but he did good there and has been very dangerous. It's a decision between Olivier and Jeanott.

While talking about the beast line, they were being used after PP to create possession and momentum. They've now lost that assignment to the Nine_Line, as interesting and somewhat effective as that was this new plan has a much better chance of actually scoring.

It will be intriguing to see how the plan changes for the rest of the games in regards to icetime and line utilization. I get a feeling there was a very specific plan ahead of the series to accomplish very specific goals in the first four games, then adjust from there.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Tolvanen has been a few inches away from goals for a game or two, he's due for a big game. Plus he's playing very solid defensively right now, I don't see how you sit him, he's not as physical or big body as others but he's looking a lot more like himself earlier in the year, just hasn't had one hit the net yet.
I love his shoot first tendency I’ve seen especially this last game. They will get in.

Reactions: weeze

Loyal Legion

Nov 24, 2019
Toronto and Montreal playing game 4 at 6pm on Thursday. Both games are airing on NBCSN. Couldn’t our game be aired on the other NBC channel and start like at 7:30?

double overtime again will destroy me at work the next morning.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
The best of three series starts today. Preds have to figure out the last change match up problems they've had in Carolina. The lineup is different and so is the way the players are being utilized compared to Monday of last week.

Top 4 D have been swapped and have been much better. Would still like more out of Josi but he isn't playing bad. Third pair D are still blah.

There is a lot to talk about in the forward ranks, a few are. The emergence of a possible true top line that can score every night. Tolvanen been slotted into the middle six. The PP units basically being the middle six lines and top 4 D rotating through then followed by the top line and Josi-Carrier to sustain the pressure from the PP.
The herd line whether it be the 1.0 or 2.0 version is who they are but are seeing a reduction in minutes. Maybe the coaches think they got the job done after that long game 3 of tenderizing the meat, so to speak, and now it's time to let the skill see more time.

They need to get one on the road, I'm hoping it's tonight!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad