Series Talk: CDSF: Nashville Predators vs Carolina Hurricanes

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Canes have been undisciplined, we've been getting away by a few calls, the penalty in OT was a weak one, but it did not decide the game. Brind amour's explanation of them getting off rhythm and losing the game stinks to high hell.

Gonna be pissed if the refs response is to call a slew of penalties on us. If they swallow the whistles both ways, fine..

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I take it from a different angle, if you get rid of the two delay of game penalties which they gotta call you are looking at 5-3 which is within reason. I mean quit throwing the puck over the glass in your own zone and then there isn't anything really to complain about.

Reactions: Enoch

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Oh dont worry they are also claiming one of the DOG (the one that eventually led to the 5 on 3 after the Staal slewfoot) wasnt actually a penalty.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Their panic with the puck the created what should have been 3 delay of game penalties is a direct result of the forecheck. It's starting to wear on them.

I wonder if Slavin is magically better for this game.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
9inch,

I didn't call for a firebrand coach or anything of the sort. I know you put a disclaimer in there, but I thought I should state my position. Lavi's flaw was the special teams play was abysmal. Is Hynes really any better? 23rd on the powerplay and 29th on the PK. If you take out a streaking Saros, this team was a bottom feeder.

Hynes throws his players under the bus. He does it constantly, and he has done it constantly. He came to Nashville, immediately slashed ice time and benched Rinne, Johansen, Duchene, and Forsberg. We retroactively say they deserved this, but this new coach immediately came in and benched the entire leadership culture. He hasn't relented, except on Forsberg, at times.

My point is this is old. I've never been a fan of this type of coaching. It's also, at least partially, his fault. He constantly constantly talks about the only thing that matters is showing up and giving 100%. I agree with this "idea", but the second part of that, is he needs to put players in position to succeed and have their back. He doesn't. Who is better under Hynes? Granlund.... that is it. Jarnkrok had a good year. Everyone else, appears to have regressed to the near worst outcome. He constantly changes things, constantly benches players, constantly calls his team out. The media has to cover for him and try and "figure out" what he is going to do. The powerplay sucks. The PK sucks. The lines have no chemistry. At what point does he stop blaming everyone else?

I listen to the players talk about chemistry, and they literally say, "I really enjoyed playing with x player, but I don't know if we will ever do that again. It's up to Hynes." Again, true, but this coach changes his plans on a whim.

I have no schtick, other than my belief: I think he is a below average NHL coach. I am fully on board with the Preds winning with or with out him. I had a great time at the game on Friday. I thought the Predators played well. That said, if he uses that game as evidence that his plan was working, I think it is a fallacy. His first line barely played prior to OT, yet singlehandedly won the game. The powerplay was barely effective and only scored on a rare 5-3. The other lines were completely ineffective even strength, but did, play good defense.

If we want to win this series, Saros has to play better and the top line has to be great. Benching them in the playoffs is not a strategy I would employ, but I am admittedly just a fan. I am fully aware that Hynes could crush my knowledge on hockey. My beef with him isn't his understanding of the game, it's his dragging of players and refusal to stop tinkering to the point of madness. I do think this series is winnable, but I would put our chances far below the Canes at winning regardless of coach. How we win or lose does matter though.

Last thing, I love the Preds. I didn't get to watch every game as I usually do. This may be biasing my view. His comments post games in this series and at times during the year have really irked me. *Shrug*

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
9inch,

I didn't call for a firebrand coach or anything of the sort. I know you put a disclaimer in there, but I thought I should state my position. Lavi's flaw was the special teams play was abysmal. Is Hynes really any better? 23rd on the powerplay and 29th on the PK. If you take out a streaking Saros, this team was a bottom feeder.

Hynes throws his players under the bus. He does it constantly, and he has done it constantly. He came to Nashville, immediately slashed ice time and benched Rinne, Johansen, Duchene, and Forsberg. We retroactively say they deserved this, but this new coach immediately came in and benched the entire leadership culture. He hasn't relented, except on Forsberg, at times.

My point is this is old. I've never been a fan of this type of coaching. It's also, at least partially, his fault. He constantly constantly talks about the only thing that matters is showing up and giving 100%. I agree with this "idea", but the second part of that, is he needs to put players in position to succeed and have their back. He doesn't. Who is better under Hynes? Granlund.... that is it. Jarnkrok had a good year. Everyone else, appears to have regressed to the near worst outcome. He constantly changes things, constantly benches players, constantly calls his team out. The media has to cover for him and try and "figure out" what he is going to do. The powerplay sucks. The PK sucks. The lines have no chemistry. At what point does he stop blaming everyone else?

I listen to the players talk about chemistry, and they literally say, "I really enjoyed playing with x player, but I don't know if we will ever do that again. It's up to Hynes." Again, true, but this coach changes his plans on a whim.

I have no schtick, other than my belief: I think he is a below average NHL coach. I am fully on board with the Preds winning with or with out him. I had a great time at the game on Friday. I thought the Predators played well. That said, if he uses that game as evidence that his plan was working, I think it is a fallacy. His first line barely played prior to OT, yet singlehandedly won the game. The powerplay was barely effective and only scored on a rare 5-3. The other lines were completely ineffective even strength, but did, play good defense.

If we want to win this series, Saros has to play better and the top line has to be great. Benching them in the playoffs is not a strategy I would employ, but I am admittedly just a fan. I am fully aware that Hynes could crush my knowledge on hockey. My beef with him isn't his understanding of the game, it's his dragging of players and refusal to stop tinkering to the point of madness. I do think this series is winnable, but I would put our chances far below the Canes at winning regardless of coach. How we win or lose does matter though.

Last thing, I love the Preds. I didn't get to watch every game as I usually do. This may be biasing my view. His comments post games in this series and at times during the year have really irked me. *Shrug*
Great post with we'll reasoned opinions and feelings. We're stuck with Hynes so we'll just see where it goes from here.
I think the only thing I disagree with enough to discuss is the concept of throwing players under the bus. I don't really feel the same way about the comments I've heard pertaining to the different skaters. In past tense he's made some comments about how Saros and Pekka weren't good at the beginning of the season but he never said anything like that at that time, that I can remember.
I'm just not sure that challenging players to be better during press conferences is all bad or all good. It on the player, position and other factors.

Reactions: LCPreds

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I’ll be interested to see if either us or Carolina turn to Rinne/Mrazek next game since they basically just played three games in three days.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
For Game 5, I switch up the 3rd pair. If Fabbro's healthy, he's going in there. I wouldn't mind seeing Gudbranson back in there.

Jeannot draws back in for Olivier. Top line stays intact. Jarnkrok moves back to the 2nd line. I'd like to see a rested Arvidsson or Grimaldi in there but understand they want to keep Tolvanen in there, he's been good on the PP but other than that, a complete non-factor. Cousins was just what we needed he gets another game.

Forsberg - Johansen - Duchene
Jarnkrok - Granlund - Kunin
Cousins - Haula - Tolvanen/Arvidsson/Grimaldi
Grimaldi/Jeannot - Sissons - Trenin/Jeannot

Josi - Carrier
Ekholm - Ellis
Harpur - Fabbro/Gudbranson

Last edited:

Forsbergforloop

May 30, 2008
Oahu
9inch,

Geez man, give the guy a break! Nobody is for sure about how much influence Hynes has had over our success, but he has this team playing HARD.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
For Game 5, I switch up the 3rd pair. If Fabbro's healthy, he's going in there. I wouldn't mind seeing Gudbranson back in there.

Jeannot draws back in for Olivier. Top line stays intact. Jarnkrok moves back to the 2nd line. I'd like to see a rested Arvidsson or Grimaldi in there but understand they want to keep Tolvanen in there, he's been good on the PP but other than that, a complete non-factor. Cousins was just what we needed he gets another game.

Forsberg - Johansen - Duchene
Jarnkrok - Granlund - Kunin
Cousins - Haula - Tolvanen/Arvidsson/Grimaldi
Grimaldi/Jeannot - Sissons - Trenin/Jeannot

Josi - Carrier
Ekholm - Ellis
Harpur - Fabbro/Gudbranson
I was trying to enjoy the game and not take a bunch of notes but wasn't Tolvanen playing with Granlund most of the game which would mean he was playing against the Aho line a lot? I did notice some times Jarnkrok was out there for him but how much do we expect from him in those situations? If my recollection is correct there is no way in f***ing hell you put either of the pipsqueaks in the lineup there.

I understand the love for Arvidsson, hoping he can return to his glory days but why do so many people think Grimaldi can be a factor in this series? Especially on the beast line? He'd get trucked for sure that way.

Reactions: weeze

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I was trying to enjoy the game and not take a bunch of notes but wasn't Tolvanen playing with Granlund most of the game which would mean he was playing against the Aho line a lot? I did notice some times Jarnkrok was out there for him but how much do we expect from him in those situations? If my recollection is correct there is no way in f***ing hell you put either of the pipsqueaks in the lineup there.

I understand the love for Arvidsson, hoping he can return to his glory days but why do so many people think Grimaldi can be a factor in this series? Especially on the beast line? He'd get trucked for sure that way.

Was just looking at bringing fresh legs into the mix. Some guys looked completely spent last night, as they just played 3 games in 3 nights.

Carolina's defense is slowly wearing down and guys like Arvidsson and Grimaldi have speed to burn. If we exchange them into the lineup for another smaller player, we won't lose much.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Was just looking at bringing fresh legs into the mix. Some guys looked completely spent last night, as they just played 3 games in 3 nights.

Carolina's defense is slowly wearing down and guys like Arvidsson and Grimaldi have speed to burn. If we exchange them into the lineup for another smaller player, we won't lose much.
Fresh legs, maybe but now is not the time to go to non defense playing pipsqueaks. The plan of playing heavy against them with constant in your face hockey seems to be working why change that?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
You're correct. The way we play, we need 100 % from each guy every single shift. Was just spitballing, I doubt they even change the lineup since we just won 2 straight.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
You're correct. The way we play, we need 100 % from each guy every single shift. Was just spitballing, I doubt they even change the lineup since we just won 2 straight.
I can see changes happening since they're going back to Carolina and have to figure out a better way to handle them having last change. I don't think adding the tiny people is how you make a change though.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I’ll be interested to see if either us or Carolina turn to Rinne/Mrazek next game since they basically just played three games in three days.

Got 2 mid 20s goalies (ned - 25, Saros - 26) posting great sv%s (ned - .928, Saros - .929). Unless either of them are just too tired to go in, neither team will make a change.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Don't think you will see many changes. The PP has finally showed some signs of life and Tolvanen hasn't done any less than Arvy was doing. I'm hoping Fabbro gets in just because he needs the experience.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Got 2 mid 20s goalies (ned - 25, Saros - 26) posting great sv%s (ned - .928, Saros - .929). Unless either of them are just too tired to go in, neither team will make a change.

I think it’s unlikely Saros doesn’t start but Mrazek in over Ned doesn’t seem that crazy. Seems like there is some discussion of them doing it on the Canes board. I just think it’s interesting since back to back multi OT games has to be really rare.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
The new 9 line is really looking dangerous. Duchene seems to have given the line a jump that Arvy couldn't. It's nice having a line that's putting up some "top line" numbers.

Reactions: predhead1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad