CCHL2 2015/16 Season

BadgerKnight

Sep 4, 2008
Brockville R&T Report

CCHL2 details released

By Jonathon Brodie
Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:53:31 EDT AM

The CCHL2 has announced details of the new Junior B hockey league and its schedule for the upcoming season.

Making up the West Division will be the Brockville Tikis, Prescott Flyers, Athens Aeros, Westport Rideaus, Perth Blue Wings, Renfrew Timberwolves, Stittsville Rams and Arnprior Packers -all these teams played in either the EOJHL's Rideau or Valley divisions last year.

The East Division is the Ottawa West Golden Knights, Clarence Beavers, Metcalfe Jets, Ottawa Canadians, Casselman Vikings, Alexandria Glens, Winchester Hawks and Char-Lan Rebels -all these teams played in either the EOJHL's Metro or St. Lawrence divisions last season.

For the schedule, teams will play two home and two away games against division rivals. Last year clubs played division foes eight times in their much smaller divisions.

Squads will take on out-of-division teams once at home and once on the road.

In total, each club will play 44 regular season games, which is the same as the 2014-15 EOJHL season.

To cut down on travel and make it easy on scouts, two showcases are being planned for the season that will most likely put two teams against each other that would have to go a greater distance for a regular season matchup.

The top three clubs in each division will move on to the post-season. There will also be four wild card spots that will be given to the next best teams in either division, which means one division could potentially have up to seven clubs in the playoffs and the other division could have just three.

The first round of the playoffs will see the No. 1 wild card team against the No. 4 wild card team and the No. 2 wild card team playing the No. 3 wild card team. Both matchups would be a best-of-three series and the winners would move on to play the top teams in the West and East divisions.

Clubs in the league were surveyed on the details and schedule before everything outlined was finalized

http://www.recorder.ca/2015/05/26/cchl2-details-released
© 2015 Brockville Recorder. All rights reserved.

upinarms

Jul 16, 2010
CCHL 2 board is kind of quiet. Should get rolling and get some questions answered.

1. What happens to HEO players who played on the six teams that are not in CCHL 2 league next season? Are they free agents?

2. SF and B'ville I heard have their own CCHL 2 teams. Has anyone heard of other JR A teams that are connected to CCHL 2 teams?

3. What if a player played for Ott West JR B last season and got drafted by B'ville. Does he become Tikis property if he doesn't make the Braves?

4. Will U18 players be able to affiliate with CCHL 2 as well as JR A team.

Hopefully this will open up a few more questions

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
CCHL 2 board is kind of quiet. Should get rolling and get some questions answered.

1. What happens to HEO players who played on the six teams that are not in CCHL 2 league next season? Are they free agents?

2. SF and B'ville I heard have their own CCHL 2 teams. Has anyone heard of other JR A teams that are connected to CCHL 2 teams?

3. What if a player played for Ott West JR B last season and got drafted by B'ville. Does he become Tikis property if he doesn't make the Braves?

3. There would have to be a trade for player to move to Tikis since under Hockey Canada rules rights stay with team
4. Under Hockey Canada rules you can only affiliate with one Junior team

SensHero

Jul 19, 2010
Ottawa
CCHL2 details released

By Jonathon Brodie
Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:53:31 EDT AM

The CCHL2 has announced details of the new Junior B hockey league and its schedule for the upcoming season.

Making up the West Division will be the Brockville Tikis, Prescott Flyers, Athens Aeros, Westport Rideaus, Perth Blue Wings, Renfrew Timberwolves, Stittsville Rams and Arnprior Packers -all these teams played in either the EOJHL's Rideau or Valley divisions last year.

The East Division is the Ottawa West Golden Knights, Clarence Beavers, Metcalfe Jets, Ottawa Canadians, Casselman Vikings, Alexandria Glens, Winchester Hawks and Char-Lan Rebels -all these teams played in either the EOJHL's Metro or St. Lawrence divisions last season.

For the schedule, teams will play two home and two away games against division rivals. Last year clubs played division foes eight times in their much smaller divisions.

Squads will take on out-of-division teams once at home and once on the road.

In total, each club will play 44 regular season games, which is the same as the 2014-15 EOJHL season.

To cut down on travel and make it easy on scouts, two showcases are being planned for the season that will most likely put two teams against each other that would have to go a greater distance for a regular season matchup.

The top three clubs in each division will move on to the post-season. There will also be four wild card spots that will be given to the next best teams in either division, which means one division could potentially have up to seven clubs in the playoffs and the other division could have just three.

The first round of the playoffs will see the No. 1 wild card team against the No. 4 wild card team and the No. 2 wild card team playing the No. 3 wild card team. Both matchups would be a best-of-three series and the winners would move on to play the top teams in the West and East divisions.

Clubs in the league were surveyed on the details and schedule before everything outlined was finalized

http://www.recorder.ca/2015/05/26/cchl2-details-released
© 2015 Brockville Recorder. All rights reserved.

Can't imagine Renfrew is very happy about travelling to Athens, Westport, Brockville, Prescott. Those places average 1hr 45 min.

SensHero

Jul 19, 2010
Ottawa

1. Almonte and Shawville players have been traded to Perth. Gatineau has joined the Junior AAA so they retained rights to all their players.

EOJHLinsider

Jul 15, 2014
1. Almonte and Shawville players have been traded to Perth. Gatineau has joined the Junior AAA so they retained rights to all their players.

Yes Gatineau retained rights of their players but they joined Jr A so they can't have 21 anymore. What happens with the players who was supposed to play their 21 this year? Because i'm pretty sure some teams will be highly interested by some of Damphousse, Leblanc, Tourangeau, Bonneville.... All players who can make a difference in a game...

TradedTwice

Jul 16, 2014
New league

Call it whatever you want, reality is nothing will change, the rich will get richer....average stay average...and the weak will stay the weak. The new thing about this league is the glorified A** kissing cchl2 teams will have to do with the cchl teamsters in order to fill out a roster.

Just take a look at the division alignments, the west doesn't stand a chance against the east. Perth can buy as many players they want, those players from weak Valey teams, do not even compare to Casselman.

An affiliation with a club team...PLEASE, you can't possibly tell me that-if Steve Sundin or Tasso Vasilas or Ray Lavergne comes calling with a blank check for a borderline A American player to keep him here to be a star in the 2 league, that any owner in the cchl would say no thanks we will send him to... Fill in the blank. This is the entire point of the league, to be self serving to the only league that matters CCHL, they are the only winners in this system.

All that said, good luck to the powers that be, I am sure the money is just starting to roll out with camps starting up..

scribeEOJHL

Jan 19, 2015
Lions live on in Jr. C

What happens with teams like Morrisburg?

Morrisburg is entered to play in the Junior C league and will keep most of their players. Kids would be able to jump to a CCHL2 team however because it is a higher level of hockey. Akwesasne has folded its team and those players are all free agents ... some will wind up in CCHL2 as their head coach/GM is now connected with one of the teams in the East.

scribeEOJHL

Jan 19, 2015

4. The Midget-aged AAA players can only affiliate with one Junior club, and the top 16-year-olds will be found as APs in the CCHL. The 17-year-olds and some 16s will affiliate in the CCHL2, according to sources in Junior A. These AAA teams will not have more than a few 17-year-old players each, since they will be built with high-end minor midgets and 16-year-old CCHL draft picks.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Is there going to be a limit on the number of imports on each team? How many American kids will be brought in to AP with the tier 1 team?

upinarms

Jul 16, 2010

Obviously traded for cash. How can these two teams be bought out by the league, and then have the rights to still sell their assets? And how does Perth keep 50 or 60 players on their roster? Is there not a max you can have? Obviously other teams OK'd this, but it seems very "micky mouse" to me. Hopefully the league will be run a little more professional than what we are seeing so far.

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
Obviously traded for cash. How can these two teams be bought out by the league, and then have the rights to still sell their assets? And how does Perth keep 50 or 60 players on their roster? Is there not a max you can have? Obviously other teams OK'd this, but it seems very "micky mouse" to me. Hopefully the league will be run a little more professional than what we are seeing so far.

From what I am hearing these two "trades" were approved by EOJHL prior to start of CCHL2.....

evasive1

Dec 20, 2014
cchl2 top teams

Is there going to be a limit on the number of imports on each team? How many American kids will be brought in to AP with the tier 1 team?

Who would be perceived as the top contenders this year? I realize very early....

SensHero

Jul 19, 2010
Ottawa

Shawville was not "bought out" of the league. They received no compensation for being kicked out.
Almonte was bought out, but I never heard for how much.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa

Agreed. A few of the players that Almonte traded don't even belong to Almonte either. Their rights were suppose to revert back to their original teams at the end of the season.

upinarms

Jul 16, 2010
Who would be perceived as the top contenders this year? I realize very early....

Let me take a stab at it !!

Casselman in East - because of their owner

Stittsville in WEst - because I have heard rumour ( only rumour ) that they are hooked up with CP

SensHero

Jul 19, 2010
Ottawa

Stittsville in WEst - because I have heard rumour ( only rumour ) that they are hooked up with CP

That could be true, but I doubt it based on the relationship Perth had with CP last season. Seems more logical that Perth and CP stay together.

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013

Being hooked up with CP never helped Perth much over the past two years, I would predict Stittsville also but because of the # of quality players returning.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Being hooked up with CP never helped Perth much over the past two years, I would predict Stittsville also but because of the # of quality players returning.

Stittsville should be adding Galasso this season also. That's a big upgrade for them.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Sounds like Shawville, Akwesasne and Gan are really getting the short end of the stick here.

If there are 16 CCHL 2 teams and only 12 CCHL 1 teams how is the affiliation going to work as its not an even matchup.

I will just take a stab at it based on geography.

Pembroke - Renfrew
CP - Arnprior
Smiths Falls - Perth
Kanata - Sittsville
Nepean - Ottawa West
Ottawa - South Ottawa
Gloucester - Metcalfe
Cumberland - Clarence
Hawkesbury - Alexandria
Brockville - Brockville
Cornwall - Charlan
Kemptville - Winchester

That leaves Prescott, Casselman, Athens and Westport with no affiliate.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Sounds like Shawville, Akwesasne and Gan are really getting the short end of the stick here.

If there are 16 CCHL 2 teams and only 12 CCHL 1 teams how is the affiliation going to work as its not an even matchup.

I will just take a stab at it based on geography.

Pembroke - Renfrew
CP - Arnprior
Smiths Falls - Perth
Kanata - Sittsville
Nepean - Ottawa West
Ottawa - South Ottawa
Gloucester - Metcalfe
Cumberland - Clarence
Hawkesbury - Alexandria
Brockville - Brockville
Cornwall - Charlan
Kemptville - Winchester

That leaves Prescott, Casselman, Athens and Westport with no affiliate.

The Smith Falls owner bought the Westport team in February .

newfan

Jun 6, 2009
Stittsville should be adding Galasso this season also. That's a big upgrade for them.

nothing against this particular player as this was the practice before where overage kids played one more yr at junior B after finishing junior A.

However, with the new model, does this make sense? isn't supposed to be a "development ladder"...U18, CCHL2,and then CCHL.....why would you allow older players playing CCHL2 than will be allowed playing in the CCHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad