Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Zach Werenski signs extension with the Blue Jackets (6 years, $9.583M AAV)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
And that's I guess it right there. Do you really believe that the Blue Jackets misfortunes simply come down to luck? Do you really believe if Yzerman was GM over the past decade that things would've played out exactly the same?

Come on.
I think it comes down to a mixture of factors.

First, yes I do think luck would be involved and that the outcome would be similar if Yzerman were the GM instead. I do wish it would be different as that would mean it's an issue that could be solved with potentially one move as opposed to many. But ultimately unless Yzerman were able to field a Cup championship roster between 2013-2018 I do think the results would be the same.

Second, I think Panarin being the first is important. He was the franchise guy and led to many teammates having career years. If they keep him, maybe that does change some minds down the line.

Third and finally, I think a culture shift is underway in the NHL. This involves young players not valuing wins/money as much as they used to. Players traditionally wouldn't move very often provided the team was competitive and they were paid fairly. But now players seem to be chasing sponsorships and fame more similar to the NBA with Cup chasing occurring in the twilight of the player's career.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Bobrovsky took the biggest deal he was offered which was from Florida. The CBJ didn't offer him as much.

There was no amount of money Jarmo could have offered Bob to get him to stay. He had made up his mind to move on long before he hit UFA status. I'm not sure why almost every CBJ fan brings up Bob as some incredible smart move by Jarmo when reality is Jarmo got really lucky. As for the others, I would put Panarin and Duchene in the they had a certain destination and most teams in the league wouldn't have been able to re-sign them category, Anderson and Dubois in the wanted out category, and Jones TBD why he wouldn't negotiate an extension. If he wouldn't negotiate because he didn't want to be part of a rebuild then that's on Jarmo for not selling him.

Sergei Bobrovsky, new Panthers goalie, explains why there was 'no chance' of him re-signing with Blue Jackets

And before any of you respond with the usual you don't know anything about CBJ crap, I have lived in Columbus since 1997. I voted for the arena issue that got rejected and almost cost this city their NHL franchise before McConnell stepped up. Until last year I attended 15 or so games every season. I like the moves Jarmo has made this summer but it is a fact most big name players usually leave Columbus when they get a chance. There is something going on with the city or the franchise or both and to just write off every player that leaves as a one-off dumb luck case is putting your head in the sand. A couple of them can be explained away but there are way too many high end guys leaving at first chance to not think something is wrong.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Werenski is tied for the 3rd most goals by defenseman over the last three seasons. How is that not rosterable in fantasy?

I mean, when I played fantasy I saw people do some weird shit, maybe he's one of those.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There was no amount of money Jarmo could have offered Bob to get him to stay. He had made up his mind to move on long before he hit UFA status. I'm not sure why almost every CBJ fan brings up Bob as some incredible smart move by Jarmo when reality is Jarmo got really lucky. As for the others, I would put Panarin and Duchene in the they had a certain destination and most teams in the league wouldn't have been able to re-sign them category, Anderson and Dubois in the wanted out category, and Jones TBD why he wouldn't negotiate an extension. If he wouldn't negotiate because he didn't want to be part of a rebuild then that's on Jarmo for not selling him.

Exactly right on Bob, and most of it.

Anderson though isn't "wanted out". He was in negotiations with Jarmo and had the same $ and term ask of Jarmo that he asked of Bergevin. Jarmo said no, Bergevin said yes, and Jarmo might have made the right choice there.

Jones might have wanted to move regardless, we don't know. Although it doesn't take some special theory to explain why a guy wouldn't commit long term to a team about to start a rebuild.

The only "wanted out" that we know of is PLD and with him we still don't know why.

And before any of you respond with the usual you don't know anything about CBJ crap, I have lived in Columbus since 1997. I voted for the arena issue that got rejected and almost cost this city their NHL franchise before McConnell stepped up. Until last year I attended 15 or so games every season.

Yeah yeah we know you. You're one of us!

it is a fact most big name players usually leave Columbus when they get a chance. There is something going on with the city or the franchise or both and to just write off every player that leaves as a one-off dumb luck case is putting your head in the sand. A couple of them can be explained away but there are way too many high end guys leaving at first chance to not think something is wrong.

Yeah certainly seeing all of that, it is a reasonable guess that something central is wrong, and you'd want to look deeply into that. Trouble is, when you look deeply into it and read the testimonials from those anonymous ex-Jackets and try and look under every stone, there simply isn't a unifying theory. It really appears to be kind of random in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: