GDT: CBJ vs Florida Panthers 1:00 PM

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
fantilli and johnson have worked together when on the ice, but the lineup isn't "working" because that's been their best line and pazzy will only put them out there for 12 minutes a night.

therefore: putting fantilli on the top line isn't "breaking up what worked" – it's breaking up a lineup that isn't working by constructing a lineup that will force pazzy to give the good players more ice time than the bad ones.
Or you could keep a line together that works, instead of breaking up lines that in an attempt to get others going, give the lines that are working more ice time. You want more ice time? Earn it. IDC whose on the line, on game by game basis the lines that are working should get the most time in that game.

Reactions: majormajor

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
You want more ice time? Earn it.
and yet, pascal vincent is constantly giving ice time to veteran players who are underperforming anyway.

i'm not saying they should go away from what's working, i'm saying they aren't going to the lines that are working enough.

either pascal has to change the way he's managing the lines, or the lines should do a better job of blending young guys with veterans so he doesn't lose the young guys in close games – which has been an issue all year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
and yet, pascal vincent is constantly giving ice time to veteran players who are underperforming anyway.

i'm not saying they should go away from what's working, i'm saying they aren't going to the lines that are working enough.

either pascal has to change the way he's managing the lines, or the lines should do a better job of blending young guys with veterans so he doesn't lose the young guys in close games – which has been an issue all year.

Let's try using some actual numbers.

In the last ten games, the veteran who has most underperformed, Laine, is playing 14 minutes a night. That's exactly where Fantilli is at too. I don't have a big problem with that number for either of them. I'd like a minute or so more for Fantilli.

There's only 4 players above 14 minutes - each around 17 or 18. That's Gaudreau, Jenner, Marchenko, and Danforth. I think those are all solid players. We might be frustrated that Gaudreau isn't scoring more but I think he's at least a solid player right now. He's underperforming his contract but he's still good.

Kuraly is also playing about 14 minutes and I'd like to see that closer to 11 or 12. That would entail giving some of his hard shifts to Voronkov and Fantilli. The defensive results with Fantilli might not be pretty but I'd like to see him play more regardless.

I'd bring the numbers for Danforth and Gaudreau down a bit, Kuraly a lot, and give an extra couple minutes to the Russians and Fantilli + KJ + Bemstrom.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Let's try using some actual numbers.

In the last ten games, the veteran who has most underperformed, Laine, is playing 14 minutes a night. That's exactly where Fantilli is at too. I don't have a big problem with that number for either of them. I'd like a minute or so more for Fantilli.

There's only 4 players above 14 minutes - each around 17 or 18. That's Gaudreau, Jenner, Marchenko, and Danforth. I think those are all solid players. We might be frustrated that Gaudreau isn't scoring more but I think he's at least a solid player right now. He's underperforming his contract but he's still good.

Kuraly is also playing about 14 minutes and I'd like to see that closer to 11 or 12. That would entail giving some of his hard shifts to Voronkov and Fantilli. The defensive results with Fantilli might not be pretty but I'd like to see him play more regardless.

I'd bring the numbers for Danforth and Gaudreau down a bit, Kuraly a lot, and give an extra couple minutes to the Russians and Fantilli + KJ + Bemstrom.
We'll see how it goes from here. I don't believe Bemstrom will play like this long term, also Gaaudreau and Laine will find their game. I think these 4 days off will help the team.
To Kuraly... it depends how much the team play in PK, rather in 5x5 he shouldn't play more than 10 minutes. It's just that Texier and Danforth (if Boone is right) are playing with him, which would reduce their time as well.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
We'll see how it goes from here. I don't believe Bemstrom will play like this long term, also Gaaudreau and Laine will find their game. I think these 4 days off will help the team.
To Kuraly... it depends how much the team play in PK, rather in 5x5 he shouldn't play more than 10 minutes. It's just that Texier and Danforth (if Boone is right) are playing with him, which would reduce their time as well.
Agree as to the 4th line when Danforth and Tex are both with Kuraly. Danforth adds an offensive boost to the trio that Olivier, Robby (when here) and Sillinger don’t. He makes that trio a formidable line.

Reactions: majormajor

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
I wonder who made the call on Cousens penalty. Did the on ice officials change it or did Toronto somehow get involved?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad