GDT: CBJ vs DET (FSOH and NHL Network)

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I see Calvert as being a solid 2nd/3rd line winger. He out-hustles everyone and at 5'11" 190 (the site lists him as 5'10" 187 but those stats are outdated) I don't think his stature will be as much a concern at the NHL level as it was in 2011. His shot is decent and he can make passes. I still see him as a predominantly North/South player though.

Atkinson has the skills to be a top line winger. He has speed, playmaking ability, and a very good shot. Meanwhile he isn't a pushover and has good puck possession. Hopefully he stays healthy, gets regular ice time, and can have decent teammates. That would really help his development and confidence.

Dead on. Two young guys that I think have a future in Columbus (I hope).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
First, I agree that while Atkinson certainly was solid last night, I don't think the team made any big leap forward with him in the lineup. He played very well, but we've been playing much of the same game since the SJ home victory. We've just been coming up short, losing 3 road games basically by a goal in each.

The PP looked good, much better than say the LAK game. Having a semi healthy defense helps.

Calvert - Dubinsky(Anisimov(MacKenzie)) - Foligno is a solid line and I hope those two and which ever healthy center have, stay together. Calvert has been hands down the most pleasant suprise for me this season. Woops i forgot Letestu :)

MacKenzie has been great, strong utility player for the bottom six, that actually can impact the outcome of games. I like him more every night.

Its very cliche, but this team has been the victim of injuries. You look at this 5 game stretch, the goal tending has been good (not great), the defense, when healthy, has looked pretty good, and offense (when healthy) has been sticky and productive.

I think we're going to see Kekalainen wield more of scalpal when revamping this team and less of a hatchet. I know I'm an optimist and I tend to look for the strengths in this team while downplaying the weaknesses, but I like the feel of what we have here, and hope guys like AA, Vinny, Dubinsky, Foligno, Calvert, Atkinson, McKenzie, Letestu, Dorse, and Boll will be part of the future. Brassard I'm less optimistic about, and RJ at this point has 30 or so games to work out his game (I think its coming around at last). I don't see RJ being a good candidate to move at the deadline, mostly because the return won't be good.

This is my assessment as well. All of it.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Reading through this thread, I think you guys give the Wings way too much credit. We're terrible this year. There's no need to fear us anymore. Kudos for capitalizing on the opportunity for the GWG.

P.S. Glad to hear Anisimov is alright. That was scary. Very eerie after what happened to Wisniewski the previous meeting.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Reading through this thread, I think you guys give the Wings way too much credit. We're terrible this year. There's no need to fear us anymore. Kudos for capitalizing on the opportunity for the GWG.

P.S. Glad to hear Anisimov is alright. That was scary. Very eerie after what happened to Wisniewski the previous meeting.

Terrible is relative, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2