Confirmed with Link: CBJ Re-Sign Jones [6 years, 5.4M AAV]

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The most appropriate role for JJ is 2nd pair LHD. If Murray and Jones can handle and excel with top pair minutes and assignments that will provide JJ with ideal 2nd pair matchups and protect Werenski on the 3rd pair. JJ is not a 3rd pair dman.

Agree 100% for this season. Amazing to me how everyone is slotting Werenski in as 2nd pair d-man and Oliver in as 1st line RW.

They have a combined 12 (I think that is correct) NHL games between them.

Start Werenski on 3rd pairing, his play will dictate if/when he's ready to be moved up.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Agree 100% for this season. Amazing to me how everyone is slotting Werenski in as 2nd pair d-man and Oliver in as 1st line RW.

Start Werenski on 3rd pairing, his play will dictate if/when he's ready to be moved up.

I think a lot of the Oli as 1LW has nothing to do with the order of the lineup (especially since distinguishing any of our top 3 lines can be difficult some days) and more to do with pairing him with Saad and Wennberg.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

I think Werenski plays a mature enough game to step into the top 4. Either way he'll get minutes on the pp I think but is Prout really the guy you want Werenski breaking into the league beside? If hes not ready then fine, change it up but Id be willing to bet he is good enough

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I think Werenski plays a mature enough game to step into the top 4. Either way he'll get minutes on the pp I think but is Prout really the guy you want Werenski breaking into the league beside? If hes not ready then fine, change it up but Id be willing to bet he is good enough

How many young dmen step right into the NHL top 4 without a season in the AHL? Maybe I'm naïve but I think it's too aggressive.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
The most appropriate role for JJ is 2nd pair LHD. If Murray and Jones can handle and excel with top pair minutes and assignments that will provide JJ with ideal 2nd pair matchups and protect Werenski on the 3rd pair. JJ is not a 3rd pair dman.

I think JJ should be on the 2nd pair as well. I think that's his ideal spot for this team. I do see the debate about having Werenski with Savard as compared to Dalton Prout, but I'd rather Werenski force his way to more minutes and a bigger role on this team. Have to keep in mind that Werenski will just be turning 19 here in the next week or so. Give Werenski 3rd pairing D-man even strength time and give him some PP time as well.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Lets not get gridlocked into pairings. They might put him out there with Savard for some shifts, but it doesnt mean he'll be out on the ice every time Savard touches the ice.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Lets not get gridlocked into pairings. They might put him out there with Savard for some shifts, but it doesnt mean he'll be out on the ice every time Savard touches the ice.

Or some negligible-at-best differentiation between second and third pair. Players will play with who they play best with. TOI will also be affected by special teams. It's pointless to fuss over whether Johnson or Werenski is a 2nd or 3rd pair defenseman.

Not unlike the fuss over "I can't believe some people are outting Bjorkstrand on the top line". He'll play with whoever he's best fit with. His TOI will be affected by circumstance (score, offensive v defensive zone start, etc) and special teams. He could be a "top line" player and have lower TOI than guys in the "second line" or even "third line." Chances are if he's among the team leaders in TOI, it'll be matched by production. Same goes for Werenski.

That said it might also be naive to figure on any pairing or line based on something that happened last season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Figured it would be a good time to bump this...

With the current situations in Buffalo with Ristolainen, Calgary with Gaudrau, and Winnipeg with Trouba...Thank god we got this situation settled and that he isn't asking for the money these guys are. Dodged a bullet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad