Confirmed with Link: CBJ Re-Sign Jones [6 years, 5.4M AAV]

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
What a great contract!!!!

As mentioned for the deal to be done without a messy prolonged negotiation is huge for both sides. Seth Jones wants to be a Blue Jacket & we need him as he develops these next years.

Jarmo & Davidson continue to work their plan which looks a hell of a lot better with the Dmen we know have.

Now we just need to start the front end of this current schedule with some wins.. not doubt challenging but just go .500 or better in OCT / NOV

LETS GO JACKETS!!!!!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Well, time to go against the grain again. You're all going to be thrilled with me.

It's not horribly overpaying him. But for his current play and output, it's an overpay. Now if he turns into what he's supposed to turn into, then its a fantastic deal. However, he needs to get to that point. I'm OK with this, especially with the threat of the offer sheet. But its on Jones now to produce and develop into that #1 dman for this to be a good contract.

And no, I'm not hating because its Seth Jones, because I'm a Johansen fan, or because Jarmo made the deal and I'm still bitter about the draft.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Good deal. Slightly more than Morgan Reilly got. Ultimately Jones will be, if not already, a better player, imo.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Well, time to go against the grain again. You're all going to be thrilled with me.

It's not horribly overpaying him. But for his current play and output, it's an overpay. Now if he turns into what he's supposed to turn into, then its a fantastic deal. However, he needs to get to that point. I'm OK with this, especially with the threat of the offer sheet. But its on Jones now to produce and develop into that #1 dman for this to be a good contract.

And no, I'm not hating because its Seth Jones, because I'm a Johansen fan, or because Jarmo made the deal and I'm still bitter about the draft.

Gonna be a jerk for a moment and say "Well duh!"

Every contract should be based on what you think a player will do over the course of said contract. It's a pretty basic assumption that they believe a 21-year-old defenseman will get better.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

Armond White? Is that you?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Every contract should be based on what you think a player will do over the course of said contract. It's a pretty basic assumption that they believe a 21-year-old defenseman will get better.

We've been burned by this before.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

I think the team's defense lives and dies with Seth Jones.

Murray could break out, for instance, and it wouldn't have that big of an affect on the other players. This is because Murray plays a very conservative, self-contained style.

Jones, however, could break out and that would be a catalyst for many of the other players. If Jones broke out, Murray would rocket up in value (while playing the same game) simply for the fact that his game would really complement and enhance Jones's.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Right, and? Do you think Jones will not improve? I appreciate your predisposition toward conservatism in contract negotiations. I just don't think that every instance needs to be treated the same.

I do, I am a fan of his. I just don't know if he'll be a #1. If he turns into one, like I said, this contract is a steal, but I am skeptical.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I do, I am a fan of his. I just don't know if he'll be a #1. If he turns into one, like I said, this contract is a steal, but I am skeptical.

Yeah that's reasonable (not that I implied otherwise earlier). Are you saying that the contract is too much if he doesn't become a #1? Or would it be just about right (based on it being "a steal" if he does reach that level)?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yeah that's reasonable (not that I implied otherwise earlier). Are you saying that the contract is too much if he doesn't become a #1? Or would it be just about right (based on it being "a steal" if he does reach that level)?

Assuming he still becomes a top pair D, then the contract is fine. If he's a top 4 or lower, its an overpay.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Well we have our guy, now he just needs to be a #1 in the NHL.

So much for "cap hell".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad