Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The Josh Anderson path includes a memorial cup win if I'm not mistaken so I'm ok with that. Even if it's just jrs we need more people that know how to win. That's why I was big on Anderson before this year and have been adamant about keeping him draft protected from early season too because winning the memorial cup and the Calder cup. Winning at the highest levels before coming here and then performing well in the playoffs shows he knows how to win and performs his best in big time situations.

There

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I was talking Ryan Kesler all night haha it was stuck in my head. Whoops.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So I was watching the one on one Jarmo exit interview and he was talking about Stenlund and casually mentions that he's a 6'4 RH C

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO DIDN'T KNOW HE WAS A GIANT?

If we can get him nhl ready and have both he and PLD we could have 2 6'4 centers if PLD grows another inch that is.

From hockeyDB
An intelligent, big-bodied center with superb puckhandling ability. His greatest asset is his mature mindset: he thinks the game at a high level. Plays a simplified, complete game and doesn't make low-percentage plays. Uses his edges well at a level that suits his style of play - physical and hard to play against; that being said, there is still room for improvement in his skating and first three strides. Protects the puck well. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

Maybe a bigger version of Karlsson?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
So I was watching the one on one Jarmo exit interview and he was talking about Stenlund and casually mentions that he's a 6'4 RH C

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO DIDN'T KNOW HE WAS A GIANT?

If we can get him nhl ready and have both he and PLD we could have 2 6'4 centers if PLD grows another inch that is.

From hockeyDB

Maybe a bigger version of Karlsson?
He sounds to me more like a Wennberg/Anisimov hybrid. A potentially solid 3C.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
What's the chance he comes over to the AHL this year?

He signed an extension with HV71 in the spring and it hasn't been said if there's an NHL out clause. Typically there is, but not AHL but that hasn't stopped players from coming over and playing in the AHL even with valid SHL contracts (Dean Kukan, for example). The Swedish Ice Hockey Federation is making a big push for NHL teams to develop players in the SHL rather than the AHL, so that could make an impact here. SHL teams are very pissed off about losing players to the AHL.

Stenlund got far more ice time at the end of the season because of injuries and he stepped up big time. Next season, I'm not sure he would be a first line player as a younger prospect who isn't all that well known. He might get more ice time in the AHL. His game is also suited for the smaller ice surface.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Elvis was really good again today, but Germany scored with 30 seconds to go after Elvis made a great save and sent it into OT. Nobody scored and Latvia was shutout in the shootout, and Germany scored on their 3rd attempt.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I've always been a person that was ok with Elvis being our long term backup if we lose a guy but we don't have much indication that he will come over.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/four-non-nhl-standouts-iihf-world-championship/

While he played for Team Latvia at last year’s Worlds, the 23-year-old really broke out at this year’s tournament. He started six of the seven group-play games, facing 190 shots — 31.7 per game – which was the second most of the tournament.

He saved all but 12.

His 0.937 save percentage was second highest in the tournament, behind just Leonardo Genoni of Switzerland, who faced only 24.2 shots per game. The only NHL-level goaltenders who came close to that save percentage were Andrei Vasilevskiy (facing 23.3 shots per game) and Calvin Pickard (facing 22 shots per game).

This showing is particularly good news for Blue Jackets fans, who might be worried about their backup situation. First, Joonas Korpisalo had a down season behind Sergei Bobrovsky, and then a down tournament playing for Team Finland. Second, Columbus may be worried about losing either Korpisalo or Anton Forsberg in the expansion draft.

While Merzlikins isn’t expected to join the Blue Jackets next season, for now, he’s an excellent ace to have in their back pocket.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Believe he's locked into Switzerland through the end of '18-'19 season right? Sounds like he's #2 goalie in the organization right now, which makes the situation unfortunate.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I do wonder if there will be a new trends with "prospects" preferring to stay in Europe/KHL until at least their mid-20s.

There's been a handful of free agents coming over. There's higher profile Russians, but also Mario Kempe signed with the Coyotes and he is similar to Daniel Zaar. He didn't make a great impression playing in the AHL, went back over to Sweden and when Kempe played for DIF, I didn't think he had any future in the NHL. Now at age 28, Kempe is heading back to the NHL after finally having a breakout season in the SHL.

Zaar signed with Malmö and it seems strange he'd give up on the NHL so quickly. But if he did stay in North America, it would be more seasons in the AHL likely being told to become a better defensive player and turn into a solid 3rd liner. Instead, he can go back to Sweden and be a 1st/2nd line player and potentially sign a free agent contract in a few years and walk onto a NHL team as a top 6 forward without all the grinding in the AHL.

Elvis likely wasn't interested in coming over to play in the ECHL since the Jackets had Korpi, Forsberg and Dansk, and he has a great situation in Lugano which is an amazing city to live in. Rather than having to rid the bus in the minors, Elvis might be able to just walk into a backup role or at least have a short stint (maybe similar to Frederik Andersen).

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Elvis likely wasn't interested in coming over to play in the ECHL since the Jackets had Korpi, Forsberg and Dansk, and he has a great situation in Lugano which is an amazing city to live in. Rather than having to rid the bus in the minors, Elvis might be able to just walk into a backup role or at least have a short stint (maybe similar to Frederik Andersen).

The team cleared some of the depth by waiving (and losing) CMac. Korpi has a good chance of being drafted by Vegas. If that happens, the CBJ suddenly are very thin at the goalie position (I assume they aren't going to waste their time with Dansk anymore).

The path is there to be Bob's backup, as early as next season if he could make it over. Still, I think it's likely he'll be on the team by '18-'19 and has a very good chance of being the starter after Bob is done.

Don't we hold his rights basically indefinitely?

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Elvis signed a two year extension with Lugano in June of 2016. Based on what he said in interviews, he talked to some of the other CBJ goalie prospects and understood there was a logjam (which was even worse then because Dansk was still in the picture). There was a good chance he would have been playing in the ECHL, so he resigned with Lugano.

I get the impression he's not interested in playing in the AHL. And it might work out better that he stayed and developed in Europe rather than coming over in 2016 and likely having less playing time. Now the goalie situation is much different and Elvis ends up the one able to step in next season to backup role.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
The team cleared some of the depth by waiving (and losing) CMac. Korpi has a good chance of being drafted by Vegas. If that happens, the CBJ suddenly are very thin at the goalie position (I assume they aren't going to waste their time with Dansk anymore).

The path is there to be Bob's backup, as early as next season if he could make it over. Still, I think it's likely he'll be on the team by '18-'19 and has a very good chance of being the starter after Bob is done.

Don't we hold his rights basically indefinitely?

You really think Korpi has a "good chance" of being drafted? I think he was underwhelming this year and don't believe he has been sharp at Worlds so the shine might be coming off the apple. He's still young but there are better goalies available and perhaps better options on the CBJ unprotected list to chase with Vegas' pick.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
You really think Korpi has a "good chance" of being drafted? I think he was underwhelming this year and don't believe he has been sharp at Worlds so the shine might be coming off the apple. He's still young but there are better goalies available and perhaps better options on the CBJ unprotected list to chase with Vegas' pick.

If reports are true that Vegas will load up on young goalies to flip for future picks/prospects, then yes Korpisalo has a good chance to be drafted. If they use all their excess picks on goalies (they only have to take 14 forwards and 9 D, so they could take up to 7 G's if they want) then you could make the case based on potential that Korpi would be one of the top 7-8 goalies available. But McPhee will have to weigh all of that against taking a Johnson or Karlsson as well - he does have to pick 14 F and 9 D after all.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Right now all my hope falls on them taking Karlsson. Korpi is still our best shot at winning if Bob goes down and to lose that safety net would hurt. Losing Karlsson is the only player I have a ... o well... feeling about. He is by far the easiest to replace by Sedlak and PLD. It actually helps make space for PLD.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Right now all my hope falls on them taking Karlsson. Korpi is still our best shot at winning if Bob goes down and to lose that safety net would hurt. Losing Karlsson is the only player I have a ... o well... feeling about. He is by far the easiest to replace by Sedlak and PLD. It actually helps make space for PLD.

I'm actually hopeful that Vegas chooses Karlsson for slightly different reasons. From my perspective it forces us to pursue an upgrade at center.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Gavrikov has been looking very good so far at WHC. Probably the most reliable defender in his own end of Team Russia. And he's only 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad