Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] D Damon Severson traded to the Blue Jackets for CGY 2023 3rd round pick (sign and trade, 8 years, $6.25M AAV)

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Sever me timbers.

Well. I suppose if you have Gaudreau in his mid-late prime for the next four years, may as well go for it. Best hope that Severson or Provorov are able to defend at a competent level, though.

So what now for CBJ? They do not seem to be rebuilding in the least.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Sever me timbers.

Well. I suppose if you have Gaudreau in his mid-late prime for the next four years, may as well go for it. Best hope that Severson or Provorov are able to defend at a competent level, though.

They are entering the next step. How much more rebuilding do they need? They have good prospects, about to get another in a couple weeks.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sever me timbers.

It's more that the "suck ass" phase of the rebuild has already taken place and so now we're trying to pivot to the "compete a little bit more and grow the kids" phase.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Severson is not a top pairing defenseman. Didn't they have to shelter him in NJ this season?

Reactions: PWiz30

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He was balking at our attempt to resign him; otherwise we would have kept him.
Oh I thought he was part of a jettisoning of expiring contracts, but he just didn't want to come back?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh I thought he was part of a jettisoning of expiring contracts, but he just didn't want to come back?
Ostensibly he was willing but it was at terms that the front office were not keen on. Supposedly he was looking for a lot of term.

Which does make one wonder about this Severson contract, but I guess they had already figured they were going to sign one guy like this already and didn't want to do two.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Ostensibly he was willing but it was at terms that the front office were not keen on. Supposedly he was looking for a lot of term.

Which does make one wonder about this Severson contract, but I guess they had already figured they were going to sign one guy like this already and didn't want to do two.
Also weird in his case because he took the 2-year deal in LA.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Also weird because he took the 2-year deal in LA.
Yeah, that did rub a couple of us at HFCBJ the wrong way. :) Maybe Gavy finally figured out he wasn't going to get that and so just went ahead and took it with his current team. Wouldn't blame him; wish him all the best.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
They're aiming to not be at the bottom against next season.

The front office has always said this was a retool and not a full rebuild. Obviously the injuries and underperformance this season was not expected. Their core is Gaudreau, Laine, Werenski, Johnson, Jiricek, and 3rd OA this year so they're looking to build up.
Which is quite a decent core to work with.

Reactions: TheFamousFart

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What's the Forward lines and Goalie situation look like currently?

Congrats to CBJ on the aspect of being aggressive, we shall see if it pays off, their high end prospects have to be the difference makers whether becoming top flight players or solid complimentary producers.

Do they go after Lindholm in CGY as well?
Not sure what the C depth is in CBJ.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah, that did rub a couple of us at HFCBJ the wrong way. :) Maybe Gavy finally figured out he wasn't going to get that and so just went ahead and took it with his current team. Wouldn't blame him; wish him all the best.
Yeah. Looks like he might have played himself a bit. Especially getting less dollars than Severson too.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Lot of people in here showing they didn’t want the devils much last season. Severson was awesome last year and has been a good soldier over his whole tenure. Sucks to lose him but with what we have locked up already in the right side (Hamilton, Marino) and with Nemec ready most likely, he was a luxury we couldn’t afford.

GL in Cbus Damon we will miss you.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Gave up a 3rd to vastly overpay Severson? Brutal
Severson is a good player but $6.25m for him is just...wow.

Columbus making win now moves. I hope it works out of them but I'm skeptical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad