OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
We had a telescope with a safe filtered lens. The red flare around the edges at totality was WILD.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It was totally silent in my neighborhood. completely still and eerie. A perfect mix for me also timing the ending of Dark Side of the Moon with the peak of the eclipse.

• Love
Reactions: Monk

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
It was totally silent in my neighborhood. completely still and eerie. A perfect mix for me also timing the ending of Dark Side of the Moon with the peak of the eclipse.

Was downtown on our rooftop and it was DEAD silent. No wind. No cars or birds....the hair on my arms stood up.

I just made it back home from work in Groveport and when I left at 230, there were 2 dozen black birds just circling a pond.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Nothing weird or remarkable about it here in Clintonville. I was home sick from work, so I was able to essentially lie in my front yard for an hour and watch the progression (my orange cat Travis laid with me the whole time). The darkness with its weird purpley cast was amazing, but I didn't notice any animals affected, including my cat. I felt very small. Would consider trying to get to Alaska in 2033 to see this again.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
IMG_8609.jpeg

I was up near Waldo for it. As someone else said, it got incredibly eerie before totality. The wind just stopped and got quiet. No animals making noise. Never experienced anything like it. You can also see a planet showing up in the bottom right corner.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
View attachment 848623

I was up near Waldo for it. As someone else said, it got incredibly eerie before totality. The wind just stopped and got quiet. No animals making noise. Never experienced anything like it. You can also see a planet showing up in the bottom right corner.
Per my daughter, whose photography also caught it, that's Venus.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Went and had G&R up in Waldo for lunch today. I see what all the hype is about it and you cannot beat their prices.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Got a slice of Dutch apple pie and their chocolate pie. Their chocolate pie blows Der Dutchman’s out of the water.
Speaking as someone whose aunt was marketing director for Dutchcorp for several years (the first major English hire they ever made, in fact) and therefore who grew up eating there practically once a week... Der Dutchman's pie kind of sucks. If you can get up to Wilmot, Amish Door's is much better.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Two! I knew I liked you.

Haha likewise. Despite my rooting interests ;)

Speaking as someone whose aunt was marketing director for Dutchcorp for several years (the first major English hire they ever made, in fact) and therefore who grew up eating there practically once a week... Der Dutchman's pie kind of sucks. If you can get up to Wilmot, Amish Door's is much better.

Nice! Imo their quality of food isn’t what it used to be. Granted that could be nostalgia. I still remember going to The Dutch kitchen which was a bit south of Der Dutchman but it’s been closed for years now.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Went and had G&R up in Waldo for lunch today. I see what all the hype is about it and you cannot beat their prices.

.....I had terrible service and the sandwich was cold the 1 time I went there. Also, the racist farmer sitting next to me at the bar was just a joy to listen to.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Bread pudding is the choice at Der Dutchman. Although it's been a while since I've had it.
Haha likewise. Despite my rooting interests ;)
Very few Pittsburghers in Columbus have done what I did with their hockey rooting interests, so I get it. And I can forgive your OSU fandom. ;)
.....I had terrible service and the sandwich was cold the 1 time I went there. Also, the racist farmer sitting next to me at the bar was just a joy to listen to.
That's definitely a turn off. For what it's worth, in the dozens of times I've been, I've never had an experience like that. The closest has been having to wait a bit for them to bring my bill.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

I would expect a conversation like that to happen in Wapakoneta of all places. Either way, shame that lead to a poor experience.

@Double-Shift Lasse I just can’t turn my back on family haha. The small lot of us there are.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Coyotes fan here still. CBJ have always been my 2nd team. When they started. From Kallio, to Whitney, Nash, Spacek, Dorsett. I even got a Jackets jersey for Christmas. Wore my Cbj hat proudly at my rec league games. Obviously I'm looking for another team.

But when I saw they made fun of someone in a Coyotes jersey on the jumbotrom, so to speak, in the arena I was disappointed. I know it's not YOU that did it. Don't take it personally. But I was just heartbroken my other favorite team was dancing on our grave. I wish all the best you Cbus fans and the team still.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Coyotes fan here still. CBJ have always been my 2nd team. When they started. From Kallio, to Whitney, Nash, Spacek, Dorsett. I even got a Jackets jersey for Christmas. Wore my Cbj hat proudly at my rec league games. Obviously I'm looking for another team.

But when I saw they made fun of someone in a Coyotes jersey on the jumbotrom, so to speak, in the arena I was disappointed. I know it's not YOU that did it. Don't take it personally. But I was just heartbroken my other favorite team was dancing on our grave. I wish all the best you Cbus fans and the team still.
If it helps, there's more than a few of us that didn't much care for that either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad