Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/LAK/PHI] Provorov (30% retain by LAK) to CBJ; Walker, Grans, Petersen, '23 LAK 1st, '24 LAK 2nd, '24 CBJ 2nd to PHI; Connauton, Hodgson to LAK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Why is LA giving up picks to retain salary and take on 2 prospects who likely won't see the NHL?
Well they gave up one pick. And one prospect. They got two minor leaguers, not two prospects back. Overall for this year they shed a ton cap space net over the course of the next two seasons. For LA it’s a steal to not let go of a 1st to do that.

2023-24 shed $7.75m (Petersen and Walker) while taking on $2m (Provorov) = $5.75m freed for LA
2024-2025 shed $5m (Petersen) while taking on $2m (Provorov) = $3m

Overall almost $9m in shed cap over the course of 2 seasons.

Reactions: gary69

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
All three of these teams have each other on speed dial. Kings did a deal for Richards and “sent” Philly Hextall for their FO. Philly traded Carter and Umberger to CBJ, Kings got Carter, Gaborik, Gav and Korpisalo from CBJ, etc.
Also, the Voracek-Atkinson swap, and Voracek having been a Jacket before he was a Flyer as part of the Carter trade.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Losing Grans and a second for the privilege of signing Gavrikov to a 7.8 contract: 5.8 +2 (IP) when Peterson and Walker get 7.6

Now at 7.6 of cap space with 6 players to pay including Vilardi getting half of it and 1-2 goalies.

and feel happy about it.

a steal he says.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I will never understand why Petersen got this STUPID deal, never, ever, will I understand, Other than they had their minds made up that he was the heir to Quick. I thought the contract they should have given him was something like the deal the Devils gave Mackenzie Blackwood after the 19-20 season, which was for like $2.750 million per year for 3 years. Not $5 million a year for 3 years.

I think he played 50 NHL games before he got that deal. I was actually very impressed with him early on (his first call up in 18-19) and thought he could be the heir to Quick, but what made it really mind boggling was that they seemed to refuse to let him usurp a washed up Jonathan Quick until they gave him that extension, an entire year before it kicked in. He was playing MUCH better than Quick before 21-22, but he was also being used extremely sparsely and in strictly a backup role. That strong play may not have sustained itself if he were playing more games as many as Quick was still being gifted and it didn't.

The whole Petersen and later era Quick story arc is a bit fascinating and the ending was kind of sad. The organization went out of their way to make Quick happen during his decline years (he did have an up season in 21-22), wouldn't let anybody take the starting job from him until 3 years into his decline (and it failed miserably, while Quick had a one-off renaissance year) and then in the end Quick wound up finishing his career somewhere else anyway.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Losing Grans and a second for the privilege of signing Gavrikov to a 7.8 contract: 5.8 +2 (IP) when Peterson and Walker get 7.6

Now at 7.6 of cap space with 6 players to pay including Vilardi getting half of it and 1-2 goalies.

and feel happy about it.

a steal he says.

Blake is officially on the hot seat. The Kings need to win a round next year, or one of their big prospects needs to take a huge step forward, otherwise his time is running out.

Blake has burned too many assets and flubbed too many high picks, all the while pushing LA as a contender. He is boxing himself into a corner.

Reactions: JRichard

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Oh I thought it was CLBs, that's what was reported on the podcast I heard about it from. LAK's 1st is not as bad, but I still don't like spending it on Provorov.
Provorov is a minute muncher... Who's now stuck behind another minute muncher. Hopefully, in theory, if everyone is healthy, he should get easier matchups and have more in the tank since he's not being relied on for everything.

Whether it works or not, is TBD.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I will never understand why Petersen got this STUPID deal, never, ever, will I understand, Other than they had their minds made up that he was the heir to Quick. I thought the contract they should have given him was something like the deal the Devils gave Mackenzie Blackwood after the 19-20 season, which was for like $2.750 million per year for 3 years. Not $5 million a year for 3 years.

I think he played 50 NHL games before he got that deal. I was actually very impressed with him early on (his first call up in 18-19) and thought he could be the heir to Quick, but what made it really mind boggling was that they seemed to refuse to let him usurp a washed up Jonathan Quick until they gave him that extension, an entire year before it kicked in. He was playing MUCH better than Quick before 21-22, but he was also being used extremely sparsely and in strictly a backup role. That strong play may not have sustained itself if he were playing more games as many as Quick was still being gifted and it didn't.

The whole Petersen and later era Quick story arc is a bit fascinating and the ending was kind of sad. The organization went out of their way to make Quick happen during his decline years (he did have an up season in 21-22), wouldn't let anybody take the starting job from him until 3 years into his decline (and it failed miserably, while Quick had a one-off renaissance year) and then in the end Quick wound up finishing his career somewhere else anyway.
This is exactly what they’ve done with their other young players. They refuse to play them and when they do, they play in positions they’re not meant to play, ie Kaliyev as a fourth line checker. There is no reason Sean f’ing Walker should have been playing games instead of Jordan Spence last year. Spence is cheaper, younger, and already better. Now Walker is gone and Spence has one year less experience playing on a “contending” team. It’s malpractice.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is exactly what they’ve done with their other young players. They refuse to play them and when they do, they play in positions they’re not meant to play, ie Kaliyev as a fourth line checker. There is no reason Sean f’ing Walker should have been playing games instead of Jordan Spence last year. Spence is cheaper, younger, and already better. Now Walker is gone and Spence has one year less experience playing on a “contending” team. It’s malpractice.
I wonder if a lot of this has to do with Todd McLellan sucks?

I think he’s the biggest loser coach in the league and the Sharks bought him a ton of time and years and years of job security around the NHL.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Petersen’s Agent: SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I wonder if a lot of this has to do with Todd McLellan sucks?

I think he’s the biggest loser coach in the league and the Sharks bought him a ton of time and years and years of job security around the NHL.
A lot of it is Todd (choosing to play Durzi, Edler, and Walker even when Spence gets the rare call up). A lot of it is management (keeping Spence in the minors, wasting months of Clarke’s season because they can’t decide if they should keep him or send him to juniors). The developmental system is broken.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
"Which one of the 2014 Top-4 picks Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett would you rather have on your roster?" - Florida Panthers: "Yes"

"Which one of the 2015 Top-8 dmen Werenski and Provorov would you rather have on your roster?" - Columbus Blue Jackets: "Yes"

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Provorov is a minute muncher... Who's now stuck behind another minute muncher. Hopefully, in theory, if everyone is healthy, he should get easier matchups and have more in the tank since he's not being relied on for everything.

Whether it works or not, is TBD.
all the F he did his first 5 yrs in Philly was KILL PENALTIES because he was the best Dman they had from day one . Flyers stymied his all around potential, he's still young maybe he shows a more all around game with Columbus . Now who plays ALL the minutes Provy played for the FLyers ?? :help:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
"Which one of the 2014 Top-4 picks Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett would you rather have on your roster?" - Florida Panthers: "Yes"

"Which one of the 2015 Top-8 dmen Werenski and Provorov would you rather have on your roster?" - Columbus Blue Jackets: "Yes"
We've also had 2 of the top 3 picks of 2016.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Short term , LA wins because of cap need (was needed very bad)
Mid term Columbus wins (best player in the deal)
Long term Philly wins if the picks pan out.

no team got "taken", every team got what they wanted.

Reactions: gary69

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is a GREAT trade for Columbus and Philadelphia

Philadelphia has restocked their farm system with 1 trade.

Columbus just had a MASSIVE defensive upgrade.

Thing is he's got 2 years left.

Are we doing this again in a year?

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Short term , LA wins because of cap need (was needed very bad)
Mid term Columbus wins (best player in the deal)
Long term Philly wins if the picks pan out.

no team got "taken", every team got what they wanted.

I agree with this, a good trade for all parties in terms of what each team needed.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
It definitely wouldn’t be.

Continuing would lead to where Buffalo/Edmonton/Detroit spend years on.

& they aren’t building via trades/signings, the next core has been build through the draft and then you start adding to start improving and stopping your team from becoming a losing team/culture.

Trade for Provorov isn’t an all in move for Columbus, they’ve had 7 1st round picks in the last 3 years including 3 in the top6.

Trade like this does nothing to hurt their future and Provorov allows Columbus to develop Mateychuk& Svozil properly without having to rush them
Staying the course means finishing higher than they did this past season.

Putting Provorov on the 2nd pairing helps with that.

do you still think cbj are making good moves?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
do you still think cbj are making good moves?
I think adding Provorov and Severson makes the defense better than what it was. The issue is cost but I don't think it actually prices any other moves out.

I don't like that they acquired Gudbranson last year because he actually makes our defense worse than just rolling with a young guy like Berni or Christiansen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad