Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Columbus signs Pierre-Luc Dubois to ELC (3 years, $925K AAV)

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Drafting Dubois and passing on Pulj is very reminiscent of when the Jackets drafted Johansen over Fowler/Gormley. And look at how that turned out for the CBJ (although Dubois' character is apparently amazing compared to Joey's)

I seriously could see him cracking the Jackets' lineup this fall in a 3rd line C role (a la Johansen/Wennberg treatment).

Saad-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Hartnell-PLD-Foligno
Calvert-Karlsson-Anderson

Very solid, yet young lineup

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Is there a realistic chance he plays in the NHL next year?

He has to. CBJ needs roster players and they are next to the cap.

CBJ probably passed on Poolparty because they wanted an NHL ready top6 player this year, right now. Poolparty is questionable, PLD is ready.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
He has to. CBJ needs roster players and they are next to the cap.

CBJ probably passed on Poolparty because they wanted an NHL ready top6 player this year, right now. Poolparty is questionable, PLD is ready.

This makes no sense. The Jackets have rookies on their Calder-cup winning team that are ready to push for spots (Bjorkstrand, Anderson at forward) and they are cheaper than PLD cap-wise. Also, I think most people would agree that JP is more ready to play in the NHL next year, compared to PLD.

He may make the team, but I think greater odds are that he won't. Regardless, the Jackets are playing the long game and didn't pick him for immediate help.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
This makes no sense. The Jackets have rookies on their Calder-cup winning team that are ready to push for spots (Bjorkstrand, Anderson at forward) and they are cheaper than PLD cap-wise. Also, I think most people would agree that JP is more ready to play in the NHL next year, compared to PLD.

He may make the team, but I think greater odds are that he won't. Regardless, the Jackets are playing the long game and didn't pick him for immediate help.

He will make the team. He's that good.

If they do send him back to Junior, I don't think it will hinder his development.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Cannot believe he went ahead of Pullji AND Tkachuck but everyone loves the guy. Even at 3 this could be the steal of the draft in a few years. And apparently his love for hockey is SUPER extreme. Good job Jackets :)

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I think PLD goes back to Jr., after the first 9 games, not a surprise & likely the best thing for all.

Seems like everyone wants to take shots at this guy - though there seem to be a handful of fans that know his game and are excited for him. Isn't PLD the best prospect from Canada?

I know Matthews, Laine and Pulju all played in mens leagues..but PLD was one of the best players in the Prospects game correct? He's got good size, speed, intelligence, and his production spiked when moved to centre. One way or the other we just picked an elite prospect that can play left wing or Centre, waiting a year for him to turn 19 won't be the end of the world eh?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Imo it doesn't make sense to put him back in the Q. He would be playing against compitition south lower then him that even though he's learning center it doesn't translate to the level he is going to play. Putting him on.the third line with Hartnell just like wennberg and Dano will do.wonders for the kid. Also being around guys like dubi and foligno will be huge for him and he seems let the guy that will put in all the extra effort to get better. I see him as a guy who will bug the vets to ask for whatmje.can improve and get them to show.him so.he.can learn. I see 30 points easy for this kid if he.stays our 3c

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I recall some doubt as PLD as a center since he wasn't always a center, so it would make sense to send him to junior and continue to develop in that position. It's also just good practice to send players down unless they are at the very top of the draft.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
I'm sure he'll play well enough for the 9 game looksee, but suspect it's back to junior if he doesn't show top 9 capability after that time. Despite what some people think it's not all that easy to crack the Jackets top 9, barring injuries of course.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I'm sure he'll play well enough for the 9 game looksee, but suspect it's back to junior if he doesn't show top 9 capability after that time. Despite what some people think it's not all that easy to crack the Jackets top 9, barring injuries of course.

I agree that it's not easy, but I think he can make them have no choice but to keep him up.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I agree that it's not easy, but I think he can make them have no choice but to keep him up.

I agree, and he has said that it's his goal to make the big club this season. I like how the projected lineup would look with him in it (of course, if he's fully capable of playing top-9 minutes)...a lot of scoring depth AND depth down the middle.

Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Saad-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Hartnell-Dubois-Foligno
Calvert-Karlsson-Gagner

with Clarkson-Campbell-Anderson as extras

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Everyone loves the riser, nobody likes the faller

Dubois was ranked towards the top of many scouting lists throughout the year. It just so happened that there were two kids out of Finland that were as highly touted.

I have zero problem with the CBJ picking Dubois over Puljujarvi at this point. Both will be making an impact in the NHL in the next year or two, but I trust Jarmo's judgement. After all, he's just a scout right? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad