Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Columbus signs Pierre-Luc Dubois to ELC (3 years, $925K AAV)

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

This is one of those facts that is technically true, but much more meaningless than it appears at first glance.

His potential schedule B performance bonuses are a whopping 25k more than Strome's and Draisaitl's, and 200k more than Drouin's, Galchenyuk's, Huberdeau's, Gudranson's and Duchene's and tied with Bogosian's. Given that's it's unlikely he hits any of his schedule B bonuses and his entire bonus will most likely be hidden in the bonus cushion, his contract seems pretty much exactly in line with the contract the last 8 3rd overall picks have gotten.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I hate you Columbus. You screwed up everything by not taking BPA.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If they want him as a C i'd imagine he'll be sent back to the Q, let him play a full year as the 1C.

What's CBJ's C depth like?

Jenner, Dubinsky, Wennberg, Karlsson, Campbell.

Jenner had 30 G at wing this season. He's less of a distributor, though, and more of a physical guy who can score in the dirty areas.

Dubinsky is a good 2/3 C. Had 50 points and is very physical and good at shutting down opponents.

Wennberg is developing well. Had 40 points but has the best passing/playmaking of the CBJ centers. I don't think projecting him to have 60 points (15-45-60) is a stretch which means he'd be a solid 1/2 guy.

Karlsson is speed and secondary offensive ability. He's a good 3/4 guy.

Campbell is a 4th line guy who underperformed in that role. Needs to step it up or else he'll be a healthy scratch.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You guys may have plenty of rookies, but IMHO I just don't feel PLD can step in this season. IMHO one full season in junior would be best for him, and as an outside fan looking at your roster. I just don't see many other options at centre ice for you guys with the offensive potential he has.

Wennberg, Jenner, and Dubinsky are all #2Cs - and those first two could reach #1C levels if we're fortunate. Karlsson is a #3C at his peak (we'd prefer him at #4C tho). Foligno can play a decent tweener role at C. And if things get really ugly we've still got Campbell.

We're in no rush to promote the guy.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Lots of people around here will need to eat crow if he is better than Pooparty.

While Puljujarvi is a great prospect, if the Jets were picking #3, PLD would have been who I was hoping for. Just love his overall game and he'd be more of a need to the Jets.

My thinking may be in the minority, but I stand by it.

Alas the Jets weren't picking #3 and ended up with Laine so I'm extremely stoked!!!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
At least we can get some of these painful comments out of the way now

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Gets three years a million with bonuses.

First year might be brutal cuz no nhl experience and could be sent to the ahl making him an expensive ahl player.

But next 2 years could be good has potential still young

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Wennberg, Jenner, and Dubinsky are all #2Cs - and those first two could reach #1C levels if we're fortunate. Karlsson is a #3C at his peak (we'd prefer him at #4C tho). Foligno can play a decent tweener role at C. And if things get really ugly we've still got Campbell.

We're in no rush to promote the guy.

This is spot on (not that you need my confirmation):sarcasm:

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Brutal contract! :sarcasm:

I really like what PLD bring to the table... had Puljujarvi not fallen to 4, I wanted the Oilers to go for Juolevi, but if PC was hell bent on picking between Tkachuk and PLD, I wanted PLD.
I would have hoped the Oilers would have sent either Tkachuk or PLD back to junior. Puljujarvi is more NHL ready in my mind but would not be upset one bit if they sent JP back to Finland or to the AHL. Puljujarvi being more NHL ready is the reason he was more highly regarded than PLD but I would not be surprised at all if PLD ends up being better... my personal opinion is JP will be better but I've been wrong before and these are still very young men.
To me the only guaranteed pick was 1OA being Matthews... after that I don't think you can say anyone made a "mistake"... yet. :) In the first round where consensus is so over analyzed, most GMs like to play the safe route and take the consensus BPA and other go the less popular route, going with their gut and swing for the fences. Let's be honest here, no one in the top 10 went way off the board.
I would bet not even one poster on HF could accurately name who, in this draft pool, will be the top 10 talents in 5 years time... never mind putting them in the correct order, but we will all be geniuses in 5 years, second guessing our own GMs pick &/or making fun of someone else's GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad