Claimed off Waivers: [CBJ] Blue Jackets claim G Spencer Martin off waivers from the Canucks

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I really don’t understand this at all for Vancouver. Why not wait until waiver activity picks up and try to sneak him through waivers? Waiving him now is just dumb asset management. Although at the same point, I don’t know how much of an “asset” Martin is.
Lol you seen to be under the impression that the Canucks aren't actively trying to offload him.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
He was a disaster last year. Nothing more than a career minor league netminder.

He only even got the backup job because he was out of this world for 6 games (literally just 6, that’s all he played in the NHL the year before) and he was an extremely cheap cap hit. I’m also to assume that the hope was for Demko to play 60-65 games and he wouldn’t hurt too bad if he played 20-25 games. Instead, Demko got hurt and he wound up playing in 29 of the team’s first 53 games at the time he played his last NHL game and got waived last year.

I can’t figure they expected a 27 year old career AHL goalie to be anything great at the NHL level last year.

If there was one thing Boudreau can be criticized for it’s that he kept going back to the well with this guy. At best he’s a wash with Colin Delia. He’s not better than him. Both are late 20’s aged career minor league tweeners.
How can u criticize Boudreau for that? His options were Martin or Delia. What was he supposed to do? Just magically conjure up a competent goalie? They both sucked

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The note in the title is unless he is traded BEFORE, so he wouldn't have passed through waivers.

He asked "If he’s not a guy that would get claimed off of waivers I don’t know why they expect they’d get anything back for him in a trade"

and i said because players can have more value once they pass through as the other team doesnt haven't do that anymore.
friedman is talking about this right now on the radio

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I didn't realize he's 28. I was thinking the Sharks should go for him because he can't possibly be much worse than Kahkkonen and Blackwood and at least he would have upside, but he's way older than I thought so he probably is what he is at this point and it's not really worth it

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's a career minor-leaguer who, in his late 20s...managed to put together a couple very brief stints of looking like he might be a somewhat serviceable, cheap limited workload backup goaltender. Followed up by and absolutely embarrassing display of utterly non-NHL caliber goaltending.

If someone wants to roll the dice on that kind of resume in a 28 year old netminder...please, do. The Canucks generally speaking, have what looks like a little bit of an organizational logjam in net. Demko/DeSmith in the NHL should be a solid duo in the NHL. Silovs is the guy they want as the AHL starter playing a heavy workload as he continues to develop. Tolopilo looks like Clark's "new project" that they probably want to have in the AHL for convenience to work with. They also have Sawchenko under contract, who is more or less an AHL organizational depth guy already. Plus Spencer Martin. At least one of them bound to end up in the ECHL by the numbers, plus potentially an AHL loan of one of Sawchenko/Martin anyway.

It's nice to have all sorts of depth of goaltenders...but at some point, it does become a bit of a burdensome issue trying to get them all good minutes at an appropriate level.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
He asked "If he’s not a guy that would get claimed off of waivers I don’t know why they expect they’d get anything back for him in a trade"

and i said because players can have more value once they pass through as the other team doesnt haven't do that anymore.
friedman is talking about this right now on the radio

And in Friedman's tweet in the OP he says Martin will hit waivers unless there is a deal in place first. The first meaning traded before he has been waived, which is what the other poster was asking about.

So, either elliott misrepresented what he originally thought would happen or he's just adding some tangentially related info now on the radio. It wouldn't be the first time he or marek shoe-horned in an unrelated explanation to try and sound authoritative. I like elliott, but the man has time to fill and there isn't much happening yet.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
And in Friedman's tweet in the OP he says Martin will hit waivers unless there is a deal in place first. The first meaning traded before he has been waived, which is what the other poster was asking about.

So, either elliott misrepresented what he originally thought would happen or he's just adding some tangentially related info now on the radio. It wouldn't be the first time he or marek shoe-horned in an unrelated explanation to try and sound authoritative. I like elliott, but the man has time to fill and there isn't much happening yet.

He’s talking about it on the radio saying guys can discuss trades contingent on if a player makes it through waivers. Today being the first day for waivers then they would have interest as they can assign him directly to their farm team as a backup as they wouldn’t have space right now.

It’s happened previously quite a few times.
His tweet just says they discussed a trade, he doesn’t indicate the parameters.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How can u criticize Boudreau for that? His options were Martin or Delia. What was he supposed to do? Just magically conjure up a competent goalie? They both sucked
You’re right. I’m not saying he should have been fired over it or anything. I just said if there’s one thing I thought he could have done better (not that it would have saved his job) it was maybe to try to give the other guy a chance to suck, because Martin had a really long leash and he was just getting worse and worse.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I really don’t understand this at all for Vancouver. Why not wait until waiver activity picks up and try to sneak him through waivers? Waiving him now is just dumb asset management. Although at the same point, I don’t know how much of an “asset” Martin is.

“Sneaking” players through waivers usually involves waiving the player very early in training camp or very late in training camp.

Think of it like an inverse bell curve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad