Claimed off Waivers: [CBJ] Blue Jackets claim G Spencer Martin off waivers from the Canucks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I really don’t understand this at all for Vancouver. Why not wait until waiver activity picks up and try to sneak him through waivers? Waiving him now is just dumb asset management. Although at the same point, I don’t know how much of an “asset” Martin is.
Silovs and tolopilo are their expected AHL goalies with the acquisition of DeSmith.

Thinking that they hope he gets claimed to clear out a contract slot. Silovs would be their first call up.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I really don’t understand this at all for Vancouver. Why not wait until waiver activity picks up and try to sneak him through waivers? Waiving him now is just dumb asset management. Although at the same point, I don’t know how much of an “asset” Martin is.

Maybe they don’t want him in the organization anymore and are trying to beat the rush when all the other 3rd goalies hit waivers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Maybe they don’t want him in the organization anymore and are trying to beat the rush when all the other 3rd goalies hit waivers.
Their goalie depth chart is Demko, DeSmith, Silovs, Tolopilo. Signed Sawchenko as well to a 2 way deal. So, he's another minors guy, who played with Chicago last season, so I'm guessing he is going to be loaned out to Chicago Wolves.

That is why the Canucks are waiving Martin. Have plenty of goalies for now. And no where for him to play.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
1695917994259.jpeg

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
they don't want to sneak him through waivers. they have seven goalies under contract right now, of which 4 are fighting to be splitting the starts in the ahl, and they don't have a solid echl affiliation. they're basically running a goalie school.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He was a disaster last year. Nothing more than a career minor league netminder.

He only even got the backup job because he was out of this world for 6 games (literally just 6, that’s all he played in the NHL the year before) and he was an extremely cheap cap hit. I’m also to assume that the hope was for Demko to play 60-65 games and he wouldn’t hurt too bad if he played 20-25 games. Instead, Demko got hurt and he wound up playing in 29 of the team’s first 53 games at the time he played his last NHL game and got waived last year.

I can’t figure they expected a 27 year old career AHL goalie to be anything great at the NHL level last year.

If there was one thing Boudreau can be criticized for it’s that he kept going back to the well with this guy. At best he’s a wash with Colin Delia. He’s not better than him. Both are late 20’s aged career minor league tweeners.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think they want to dump him and his 1-way contract.

Somebody needs to photoshop Jim Benning’s face onto the cassette.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
If he’s not a guy that would get claimed off of waivers I don’t know why they expect they’d get anything back for him in a trade.
a future 7th is kinda the lowest value you can trade. If someone like the Avs sees potential in Martin, they pay a minimal amount to jump the waiver wire.

Don't think anyone in the canucks org is losing any sleep over this one.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
He was bad but the Canucks defense was also tragic. Played well in Abby. I don’t think he’s a complete write off.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Martin has been fine when playing backup minutes (including last year) but he absolutely imploded when Thatcher Demko got hurt in November and he was asked to be the #1 guy. The pressure just seemed to totally break him, his technique fell apart, and he dropped an ,850 over the next couple months in what was one of the worst goaltending performances in modern memory.

Seemed to right his game a bit after being sent to the AHL late in the season, and would probably be a serviceable veteran #3 goalie for some team.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

Could arguably have injuries through camp that open up spots. They may figure right now teams have their hands full with 3+ goalies on their camp rosters, and there are no significant injuries opening up spots yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad