Cat to the table: Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine

Better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
I would believe it is the equalent of "time to adress the elephant in the room"
In a way that one I get. It's like there is something obviously out of place that should be addressed. I can at least see where they were coming from. Cat to the table though... I'm trying but I don't see it! In any case this discussion is lot less annoying than and more worthwile than another Matthews v Laine post. So we got something going here gents!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Laine now has 40 goals in 68 games which is a 0.58 goals per game pace, Rocket Richard season, yada.

Matthews has 28 goals in 53 games which is a 0.53 goals per game pace, and he's not even particularly known as a sniper.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
In a way that one I get. It's like there is something obviously out of place that should be addressed. I can at least see where they were coming from. Cat to the table though... I'm trying but I don't see it! In any case this discussion is lot less annoying than and more worthwile than another Matthews v Laine post. So we got something going here gents!

Personally i would exchange "elephant" into "naked grandma" (but yeah elephant makes sense also as its so out of place still ridiculous while my version is creepy) and it would make total sense.. okay i may have been influenced by a certain steve harvey show.

Finns have an expression i really like.

"Angry Finns don’t say they will “kill you” …they offer to “take you behind the sauna” (Viedä saunan taakse)."

Honestly that sounds way scarier that way

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Personally i would exchange "elephant" into "naked grandma" (but yeah elephant makes sense also as its so out of place still ridiculous while my version is creepy) and it would make total sense.. okay i may have been influenced by a certain steve harvey show.

Finns have an expression i really like.

"Angry Finns don’t say they will “kill you” …they offer to “take you behind the sauna” (Viedä saunan taakse)."

Honestly that sounds way scarier that way

english is lacking expressions like this. at least my area's dialect.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Laine now has 40 goals in 68 games which is a 0.58 goals per game pace, Rocket Richard season, yada.

Matthews has 28 goals in 53 games which is a 0.53 goals per game pace, and he's not even particularly known as a sniper.

Laine rookie season

53 first games 28 goals 50points...

Exactly like matthews sophomore....

You can double check by setting the date to 19th februari last season.

Matthews first 53 games last season 25 goals 44p. Double check by setting the date to 10th februari
In nhl.com ofcourse.

Pretty crazy that the production was bang on same between rookie laine and sophomore matthews thru 53 games. I shouod check further to see what 5v5 goals etc etc look like could be interesting.

Laine had also already been concussed by then and was just about to go on a streak to reach pog by game 58 thru 61 before slowing down...alot. sounds alot like matthews season. Pretty weird stuff actually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plural

NotNeutralFan

Jul 4, 2017
Obviously I voted for Laine, he's almost a year younger than Matthews and it already looks like he will dominate the league in scoring for the next 15 years.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Those times when Laine was ahead by 5 points and all of that, wasn't Matthews ahead in total goals or did they both trade off who was leading in that category until Matthews went ahead for good?

No, they traded the lead in goals 7 times. In mid November and in early December Laine was ahead by 6 goals (while Laine had played about 4 more games). The two were tied as late as March 27th (although Matthews had 8 games remaining and Laine only 6) but over the remaining 13 days of the season Matthews pulled ahead by 4 goals.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Laine rookie season

53 first games 28 goals 50points...

Exactly like matthews sophomore....

You can double check by setting the date to 19th februari last season.

Matthews first 53 games last season 25 goals 44p. Double check by setting the date to 10th februari
In nhl.com ofcourse.

Pretty crazy that the production was bang on same between rookie laine and sophomore matthews thru 53 games. I shouod check further to see what 5v5 goals etc etc look like could be interesting.

Laine had also already been concussed by then and was just about to go on a streak to reach pog by game 58 thru 61 before slowing down...alot. sounds alot like matthews season. Pretty weird stuff actually.

What I like about Matthews is he brings Laine production but plays a Scheifele role.

Reactions: Menzinger

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
What I like about Matthews is he brings Laine production but plays a Scheifele role.
Yeah i dont blame you his game is very attractive. Honestly i like both so much that its hard to choose anymore. I wish we could see them on the same line for one season...that would be nuts... and ofcourse hyman as the other winger

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
How about which player is a winner and natural born leader?

Laine seems to get only better when things get tougher, he shines in clutch situations,
what ever they be. - perfect play-offs player - - winner mentality -

Laine also leads with his example, its all about his personality.
- his nice guy,cool as ice personality isn't an act, he saw that he was a dick
and changed, that's growth.

Laine is a clutch,winner and a natural born leader,
being a better overall player is great, ill give that to Matthews,
ill even give him the better at own end trophy too,
but when it comes to things at ACTUALLY MATTER,
winning,leading,being an example for others...

Its a 6-0 set win for Laine.
This is an absolute joke. Both players are incredibly clutch. And how is Laine better at winning? Lol hockey is a team game. Is Laine a better winner than McDavid too? As far as I know, Matthews has more playoff games than Laine. In terms of leadership qualities, Matthews is the Leafs next captain.
It's very strange that you would bring up winning, leadership, and "being an example for others" when trying to say that Laine is better than Matthews.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Things like “clutch” or “intangibles” are things folks fall. Ack on when they can’t make an argument using tangible evidence.

Anyways, the offensive gap between the two players is minimal (if one even exists lol), however Matthews plays the significantly tougher position and is better defensively. He has to have the edge in any comparison.

Reactions: WillTheThrill

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
As an oilers fan, I would rather have Laine than Matthews on the team. (Not saying he's better)
But Matthews is overrated and will get overpaid because he is a Leaf
You mean like Rielly and Kadri are overpaid?

You aren't coming off as clever with those asinine comments, just petty and bitter.

You're right though, Laine would be a better fit for the Oilers but you would not be able to afford either.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Jets fan that voted Matthews. To me it is like Crosby vs Ovechkin. I take the all around super skilled centre every time.

Ask again in a year and who knows. Laine has been on an unreal upwards trajectory for a couple years straight now.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

That's a really good argument for Matthews. Although, centers usually do produce bit more, but in terms of assists. Matthews is pretty rare in the sense that he's such a good goalscorer AND a C. Best from both worlds? :laugh:

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
It is really quite simple.

Matthews does more for his team than Laine, and in general he is the more valuable player,

HOWEVER

Laine is more explosive in terms of performance and has higher peak level. When he is beasting it up he can hit a higher level than Matthews, even though he isn't nearly as consistant as King Austin.

Overall, a clear nod for Matthews atm. But we shall see how things transpire in the future.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
That doesn't change the fact that Laine has potential to hit 60-70 with good center. He will be world best player at his prime.
Exactly. Laine cannot drive his own line. Part of the reason is because he plays the wing. Matthews, McDavid, and Eichel have all proven that they can produce points at a high rate on a line with third line players. As someone mentioned earlier, Laine really struggled with Little as his C at the beginning of the year.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Exactly. Laine cannot drive his own line. Part of the reason is because he plays the wing. Matthews, McDavid, and Eichel have all proven that they can produce points at a high rate on a line with third line players. As someone mentioned earlier, Laine really struggled with Little as his C at the beginning of the year.
And then he didnt with Copp, which is a 4th line center ;)

Reactions: MVPGoon

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016

Yes he can. Did solid job driving line with Copp & Ehlers. Struggled 3/4 of season with Little and still pace on 50. It was chemistry issue and Pate goes over PPG with anyone else. Line driving is very small factor if Pate scores 60-70.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad