GDT: Carolina Panthers 5: Young and the Restless Fans

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If he wanted to move them, he could just move them. And if they didn't suck, he would get much, much better terms from potential destinations (which, now that the NFL has teams in LA and Vegas, are a lot fewer) with a good team. And IIRC, the Panthers, pre Tepper, *were* in the upper half of the NFL in revenues. There was a strong fanbase, and with games only once a week, they were able to draw fans from all over both Carolinas to games. NC alone is a pretty large market if you can take the whole state rather than just one metro area, like the Panthers could. There's no reason to abandon the market, a team so bad it struggles in NC is going to have a hell of a time gaining fans anywhere else without the benefit of an established fanbase.

I'm convinced of the opposite proposition- that Tepper really is just an pompous incompetent dipshit.
this in a major way. He's not as hands on with the soccer team other than the initial coaching hire (who was a total f***wad of a coach) that the team was initially built around, but otherwise he's let the team be run by soccer people for the most part and as a result the team isn't total shit.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
There were a lot of fans, many on this board, very unhappy that Dundon hired from within by hiring Waddell and Brindy as the GM and HC. Sometimes the guy waiting in the wings knows very well what the other guy did wrong (or lacked).

Not saying that is the case with Morgan; and in the Canes case, there was the additional dynamic of a new owner which made a big difference as well.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Im willing to give them the draft to see what they are planning. if they significantly mess that up my expectations will be minimal.

HC's I'd be alright with:

Canales
Johnson
MacDonald
Evero

I think those four are the top choices for me right now. If we land Canales, I think that will signal that Tepper is stepping back a bit. Tepper is known to want Johnson, and Canales and new GM Morgan have history.

Bucs fans want to promote him instead of letting us hire him, which is funny.

Reactions: CandyCanes

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
There were a lot of fans, many on this board, very unhappy that Dundon hired from within by hiring Waddell and Brindy as the GM and HC. Sometimes the guy waiting in the wings knows very well what the other guy did wrong (or lacked).

Not saying that is the case with Morgan; and in the Canes case, there was the additional dynamic of a new owner which made a big difference as well.
Yeah, we don't know the dynamics inside the room. But every owner hiring the internal yes man who makes them comfortable is pointing to Brind'Amour, but the reason Brind'Amour was a surprise was that never before in sports history has that kind of move actually brought about real change.

The whole thing with Brind'Amour is that he was only ever there in the first place because his playing career gave him an independent power base. No head coach he worked for hired him, he was never their guy. Management hired him as an old boy's club deal and made the coaches brought in to be his boss work with him. He could be an independent dissenter and not get fired because his direct boss didn't ever actually have the power to get rid of him.

In this case, Morgan was hired by the previous regime to be part of that regime, presumably because they thought he would fit as a part of that regime. His management record outside of the Panthers is exemplary, so there's some reason to be optimistic there. But skepticism is warranted.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Some good news, it sounds like Bill Belichick is coming to Charlotte.....

......Once a season as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons

Well BB is still a mystery but the Panthers will get Jim Harbaugh.......

......next season on the opposing sidelines when the Chargers come to Charlotte.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
No cry emoji...
1707507502230.gif

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham

Not sure on the source. But saw this tweet. Supposedly the Carolina Panthers were attempting to trade for Patches. Wonder what position they were considering slotting him at on the field?

Obviously O line since scoring is his thing and he's a forward.

Slightly more seriously I have nixed that trade also

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad