GDT: Carolina Panthers 5: Young and the Restless Fans

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Vivek Ranadive of the Sacramento Kings did this when he first bought that franchise. It didn't go well. This is the kind of thing you do when you're either clueless or just don't give a f*** and/or trying to piss off your fans.
The whole Ranadive story is absolutely wild. He got into basketball because of his middle school aged daughter; he became coach of their team, they blew everybody out by pressing for the entire game; then he decided that he would buy an NBA team so that he could install the same philosophy -- evidently completely unaware that professional athletes are better at breaking a press than overwhelmed 13 year old girls.

It never ceases to amaze me how people get rich by being good at one particular thing, and then assume that they are therefore good at everything.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
After all the years you've been posting on a sports message board and you are still amazed by people believing their own hype?
It's not just that. We are all vulnerable to that effect to one degree or another. It's when the gap between perception and reality is so vast. Dude literally thought, completely sincerely, that a strategy that worked for 13 year olds would 100% work with with grown ass NBA players.

"I'm a disruptor!" has become the battle cry of a particular kind of hyper-rich dipshit. And hey, sometimes they're right! Sometimes they are really smart people with a different point of view who see something that other people don't see. But only sometimes. And when they are wrong, holy shit it's a disaster.

The new ideas that Dundon brought were organizational in nature, which is clearly his expertise. When someone thinks they actually know the game itself better than people who have spent their lives learning it, it's always a recipe for failure.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Vivek Ranadive of the Sacramento Kings did this when he first bought that franchise. It didn't go well. This is the kind of thing you do when you're either clueless or just don't give a f*** and/or trying to piss off your fans.
I am fully bought in on thinking Tepper is intentionally trying to kill the Panthers in Charlotte so he can move the team elsewhere and get whatever he wants from another city. He's been so bad at everything its hard to believe someone who is that successful in almost everything else he does could be that clueless and stupid with sports, especially having been a part of the Steelers beforehand

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I am fully bought in on thinking Tepper is intentionally trying to kill the Panthers in Charlotte so he can move the team elsewhere and get whatever he wants from another city. He's been so bad at everything its hard to believe someone who is that successful in almost everything else he does could be that clueless and stupid with sports, especially having been a part of the Steelers beforehand
A guy that's trying to tank a team doesn't throw a drink on somebody when his team loses. That's not a Galaxy Brain at work; it's impotent rage at his own failure.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
If he wanted to move them, he could just move them. And if they didn't suck, he would get much, much better terms from potential destinations (which, now that the NFL has teams in LA and Vegas, are a lot fewer) with a good team. And IIRC, the Panthers, pre Tepper, *were* in the upper half of the NFL in revenues. There was a strong fanbase, and with games only once a week, they were able to draw fans from all over both Carolinas to games. NC alone is a pretty large market if you can take the whole state rather than just one metro area, like the Panthers could. There's no reason to abandon the market, a team so bad it struggles in NC is going to have a hell of a time gaining fans anywhere else without the benefit of an established fanbase.

I'm convinced of the opposite proposition- that Tepper really is just an pompous incompetent dipshit.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
nah he wouldn't put all that effort into bringing a soccer team to Charlotte if this was his plan. he's just an idiot

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
David Tepper does one thing and only one thing successfully.....he runs a hedge fund, Appaloosa Management. The biggest difference is that there are rules and structure required to field a successful sports franchise....there are very few rules in the hedge fund world.....and those are often brazenly overlooked.

Reactions: cptjeff

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Tepper officially made me look for a new team to root for for the first time in my life. Yes, good on him for firing horrible people in charge, many of whom he was involved in hiring. But a fancy billionaire throwing a drink at fans... wow, what an absolute lowlife piece of shit. He's lucky he hasn't gotten the shit kicked out of him. f*** this guy and f*** the Panthers.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
THIS. Dude would use crappy Ridder to throw two straight incompletes, and then run on 3rd and 10. So weird.

The whole Ranadive story is absolutely wild. He got into basketball because of his middle school aged daughter; he became coach of their team, they blew everybody out by pressing for the entire game; then he decided that he would buy an NBA team so that he could install the same philosophy -- evidently completely unaware that professional athletes are better at breaking a press than overwhelmed 13 year old girls.

It never ceases to amaze me how people get rich by being good at one particular thing, and then assume that they are therefore good at everything.

Yeah, I remember reading about that and didn't believe it but his daughter did kind of confirm it in some interview she did with a local reporter.

My favorite from Ranadive is this

Imagine being an analytical person telling your front office why you should take player x and the owner says "f*** you we need shooting, player y says he hit 95 out of 100 3s". Also that Nik Rocks! chant at the end :laugh:

I think he's backed off and he did get Sacramento that new building but yeah, he was ridiculously hands on.

See I don't know what his end-game is but there's no vacant market that would be any better than Charlotte currently is. Maybe Austin or San Antonio? It isn't like the NHL and Houston/Atlanta or the NBA with Las Vegas.

Edit: sorry @AtlantaWhaler I'm not sure how you got quoted into this discussion. But you can stick around for David Tepper bashing!

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Yeah, I remember reading about that and didn't believe it but his daughter did kind of confirm it in some interview she did with a local reporter.

My favorite from Ranadive is this

Imagine being an analytical person telling your front office why you should take player x and the owner says "f*** you we need shooting, player y says he hit 95 out of 100 3s". Also that Nik Rocks! chant at the end :laugh:

I think he's backed off and he did get Sacramento that new building but yeah, he was ridiculously hands on.

See I don't know what his end-game is but there's no vacant market that would be any better than Charlotte currently is. Maybe Austin or San Antonio? It isn't like the NHL and Houston/Atlanta or the NBA with Las Vegas.

Edit: sorry @AtlantaWhaler I'm not sure how you got quoted into this discussion. But you can stick around for David Tepper bashing!

I really don't think Jerrah Jones would allow another Texas team. I dont think there is a viable market for another US NFL team. So maybe north if the boarder or Mexico City.
Would the CFL fight the NFL moving in in their turf?

Now that I'm thinking about it Toronto would be an awesome place for an NFL team.

Hey Canadians how popular are the Argonaughts? And would a NFL team being their force them under or out?

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I really don't think Jerrah Jones would allow another Texas team. I dont think there is a viable market for another US NFL team. So maybe north if the boarder or Mexico City.
Would the CFL fight the NFL moving in in their turf?

Now that I'm thinking about it Toronto would be an awesome place for an NFL team.

Hey Canadians how popular are the Argonaughts? And would a NFL team being their force them under or out?

See that's just it, in the States it's Texas or bust. Otherwise it's elsewhere out of the country, and then you run the risk of players refusing to sign/report etc

Reactions: DaveG

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
See that's just it, in the States it's Texas or bust. Otherwise it's elsewhere out of the country, and then you run the risk of players refusing to sign/report etc

Toronto is a pretty nice city. As long as the NFL figures out a way to compensate the dollar value difference.

I dont think the Raptors or Jay's have too many issues getting players to commit

Reactions: DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
A guy that's trying to tank a team doesn't throw a drink on somebody when his team loses. That's not a Galaxy Brain at work; it's impotent rage at his own failure.
Agreed. We all know how an owner trying to tank a team behaves:

1705107747074.gif

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Some good news, it sounds like Bill Belichick is coming to Charlotte.....

......Once a season as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons

• Haha
Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad