Speculation: Carolina Hurricanes Hall Of Fame

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Noticed this as well over the past couple years. And Tripp never mentioned JF in all his thanking people who reached out to him, etc. during his recent struggles.

JF is an interesting guy. It's hard to get a true read on if he's just really straight laced and professional or if he's overbearing and perfectionistic. Some guys play the grump really well and some guys are just actually grumps. He's amazing at what he does and there's some cheerfulness to him, it's just tough to get a true read on what he's like as a person from how he presents. He had an almost pathological aversion to talking about himself or his family on the broadcast to the point of awkwardness. There were very clear boundaries when he had his work face on. Tripp has never met a stranger. It was an odd couple to say the least, but they figured out how to make it work at least during the hours of the broadcast. I always got the sense that JF spent most of his road time solo doing prep for the game while Tripp was fraternizing with the players and executives on the other teams and making contacts. Just two different gears. I think I just wanted them to be friends more than they wanted to be.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I wonder if Francis felt a bit like RBA pushed up against his leadership being such a strong and outspoken leader while Francis was more lead by example. I didn't notice any rift, but it is interesting that it took Ron leaving town for RBA to get a head coaching position and in comes Dundon and hands it to him right away and obviously wasn't wrong about it. I do think, perhaps in recent years, Ron didn't take kindly to the sidling up that RBA did to Dundon and Waddell when the transfer was happening and Ron was pretty legitimately disrespected and told to go home. There was a lot of pushback from the old boys network about that move and they may have pegged RBA a Benedict Arnold for so proactively aligning himself and not vouching to keep Francis around in at least some capacity. Dundon came in and tossed several HOF type guys out on their ass unceremoniously in Kaiton, Forslund, and Ron. One thing that has struck me during all this Tripp drama is how loud the silence is from John. I don't think the relationship was as close as we might have assumed. Perhaps another casualty of what was assumed to be misplaced loyalty. Once both started to be more active on Twitter, I assumed they would banter quite a bit and there's been none of that at all.

It's honestly just a matter of when for RBA at this point. I think the case is too compelling as he adds coaching achievements to deny him entirely. If you captain a team to a Cup and win the Jack Adams and the Selke twice... at what point does the the snub start to become too obvious?
If he wins a cup as coach, he'll be the only guy to captain and coach a team to a cup in the era of the forward pass. Pretty sure that would force their hand.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I heard that from Giglio as well. Maybe he means that Francis didn't advocate for Rod enough vs. keeping him out. Who knows.

IIRC, Francis and RBA were next door neighbors here in north Raleigh. The beef between them stems from Rod playing his music too loud while working out at 2am.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I heard that from Giglio as well. Maybe he means that Francis didn't advocate for Rod enough vs. keeping him out. Who knows.

IIRC, Francis and RBA were next door neighbors here in north Raleigh. The beef between them stems from Rod playing his music too loud while working out at 2am.
if blasting Slayer while working out at 2AM is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad