Claimed off Waivers: Carolina claims Martin Frk

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
There are a handfull of quality waiver wires I dont know why people are saying these guys are no longer NHL quality. The league is too deep and has been in dire need of expansion of 2-3 teams for a while. The issue is there is more NHL ready talent entering the league at a younger age and pushing out the fringe guys (due to the development of junior programs across the board). Benchmark = scoring, look at the years even 5-10 years ago when guys were hitting 120 points. I dont think you'll ever see this again unfortunately.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I still have no idea why Detroit signed Ott and Miller when they have an abundance of forwards in the system and now they lose one in Frk. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure they have 14-15 NHL-caliber forwards and that's not including guys like Vitale and Franzen who are on the LTIR.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I still have no idea why Detroit signed Ott and Miller when they have an abundance of forwards in the system and now they lose one in Frk. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure they have 14-15 NHL-caliber forwards and that's not including guys like Vitale and Franzen who are on the LTIR.

They also have Pulkkinen and Jurco. Can't keep everyone. Miller is a great 4th line/PKer and was missed when he went out with an injury. Frk probably shouldn't have wasted two years playing god awful in the AHL if he wanted to make the Wings.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
They also have Pulkkinen and Jurco. Can't keep everyone. Miller is a great 4th line/PKer and was missed when he went out with an injury. Frk probably shouldn't have wasted two years playing god awful in the AHL if he wanted to make the Wings.

Can we stop acting like Miller is some elite PKer. When was the last time the Wings PK was ranked in the top third of the league? maybe it's time to start incorporating new players into PK roles to get some different results. But still Ott and Miller is redundant, pick one and let the other walk.

Also Nestrasil is pretty similar to Frk in that they both had very poor seasons in the AHL their first couple years pro, spent a lot of time in the ECHL before putting it all together and having one good AHL season and a good preseason showing right as they ran out of waiver options. Nestrasil has developed into a decent bottom sixer, maybe Frk can do the same. Either way why does Holland keep throwing these guys away for free after spending years developing them?

Aug 6, 2012

They also signed Helm and Vanek. And have Vitale & Franzen on IR.

The roster is a complete **** show.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
While I understand it sucks to lose a guy with some decent potential, the reality is there's a serious forward log jam in Detroit, and chances are Frk was not going to make it for a while.

If he turns out anything like Nesty or slightly better, im ok with that, but if he becomes a future star then I'll be upset. Still, would have been nice if Holland was able to use him on some sort of trade at least.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
What is this "tank" you speak of?

Tank tops, I'd guess. Maybe they're making them with players names/numbers on the back now?

cZh5gpO.jpg

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Just keep in mind, when your team is playing against Detroit and your top players are unable to score you should look at what Red Wings are out against them. More than likely it will be Miller-Glendening-Ott. They're not superstars but they will frustrate other teams and given that all 3 of them actually outscored guys like Frk in pre-season, you can't exactly argue that they didn't deserve their roster spots.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I'm looking for the information that tells me Frk would be a good 4th-line center, is an established penalty killer and role player with almost 800 regular season NHL games under his belt, and provides grit and leadership, which this team needs.

Not finding it, honestly.

If you think Ott is who kept Frk off the roster, you're out to a very fancy lunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad