Carlson vs Tavares: I'll take JC over JT for $8m, Alex.

John Carlson (RD) or John Tavares (C)

• Total voters

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Carlson will get a lot. Washington paid a ton for Oshie and Orlov and Carlson is worth more than both.

That said, he isn't in the same class of player Tavares has been in. Closer to a #2 than a #1.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't think that management would go for Carlson over Tavares given the choice.

Personally i believe short term fillers like Hainsey will work until Lilly and Ras are developed.

Thats two quality RHD prospects.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
You don't pass up Matthews-Tavares down the middle. That rivals Crosby-Malkin and is a younger duo to boot. Plus the Leafs would have what the Pens don't: Nazem Kadri in the 3 slot long-term. That centre depth would almost assure a couple ECF appearances at the very least.

Carlson is a great option though. If he can be lured for 6-7 mill for 6-8 years, you've got one hell of a D core with Rielly, Carlson, Gardiner, Dermott, Zaitsev, Liljegren. Unfortunately he's going to be highly coveted as a battle-tested rare RHD with 50+ points. Also, he comes across as a a pretty patriotic guy who I could see either sticking with the Caps, or looking at Boston/Jersey/etc.

Reactions: Kurtz

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
First of all, Washington has said they will do what it takes to re-sign Carlson.
Secondly, I'm not sure either player is signing for $8M/.
Lastly, according to Bobby Mac the Shaniplan calls for defensemen making in the $5/6M range and more of them. Rather than some higher priced and lower priced defenders. Spend the money on scorers.

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
I'll take both for 13mil. Nylander stays on wing. Let JVR, Bozak, Kom walk. Polak and Martin out as well

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'll take both for 13mil. Nylander stays on wing. Let JVR, Bozak, Kom walk. Polak and Martin out as well

wait, both Tavares and John Carlson for 13 million total? As in both of them combined? No shit. Combined they'll probably make closer to 16 million or more. You won't get both for 13.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
8m for John Carlson is laughable.

If you had the choice of getting one of the two, you take the elite centerman for 8m

member 147413

Carlson at $8mil? Huge pass for me.

Tavares at $11+mil? He’s been letting down the Islanders for awhile now, I’ll take a pass on that too.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Tavares.
He is a franchise player and would give us a Crosby/Malkin like dynamic down the middle. Dermott could be that rock-steady minute muncher we need to to compliment Rielly on the other pair. We could look at the 2019 UFA for D as well. You can't pass up on getting a Tavares for free.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I would be extremely disappointed if we signed Carlson to an 8M AAV contract.

He's having a terrific year no doubt, but Carlson would absolutely get destroyed in a market like Toronto. I doubt he'll replicate these numbers again and he's not good defensively, so I really don't see the need for him.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Except it will be closer to $11-12 for JT. Carlson is likely to get somewhere between $7-8.

Carlson is third in points among D right now, and is decent on the D side.

Vlasic got $7 last year.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

D by Cap hit.
He's bad defensively and propped up by a fantastic Caps PP where he isn't the primary option (Ovi is). He's a fine offensive defenseman to have in your top 4, but not worth 7+.

Vlasic isn't either IMO, but he's a much, much different player.

I see JT in the 10-11 range personally, I don't think he comes close to McDavid even with the cap rising.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
JT has barely been top 10’in scoring for years now. I don’t see him making mcdavid money. 10-11 I’m in. 13 no chance

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
JT has barely been top 10’in scoring for years now. I don’t see him making mcdavid money. 10-11 I’m in. 13 no chance

Unless your a desperate GM with no center depth at all. Bergevin throwing huge dollars at JT to get at least 1 competent player down the middle, and extend his job longer would not be a shocker at all.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Unless your a desperate GM with no center depth at all. Bergevin throwing huge dollars at JT to get at least 1 competent player down the middle, and extend his job longer would not be a shocker at all.

Sure. But how can they?

Price is 10.5. Webber is 8. Alzner is 5. Petty is 5. Tavares at 13? That’s over half the cap on 1 f 3 d and a g.

Carolina could. That’s abojt it really?

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
I'd rather sign De Haan for 4-4.5. Would solidify our top four, and not cost a fortune. I don't think we will have the cap space for John Carlson.

Reactions: drewjenks

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
John Tavares over John Carlson. I doubt any come here but if I had a choice and they were both down to come, I would easily choose Tavares. Defense is so overrated in this league. You can just downright bludgeon teams with Tavares as your 2nd/3rd line C.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
John Tavares over John Carlson. I doubt any come here but if I had a choice and they were both down to come, I would easily choose Tavares. Defense is so overrated in this league. You can just downright bludgeon teams with Tavares as your 2nd/3rd line C.

why do you think that?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It's tough, Carlson is probably a bit overrated and Tavares would give us a monstrous top 9 but I keep going back to thinking Carlson would fit in better. Carlson kills penalties, plays tons of PP time and could potentially fix some of our PP issues. A big minute RD who does a bit of everything is pretty much what we've been looking for right? He might not be the best defensive defender but he can insulate everyone on the right side and push them down. I think the age fits too, turned 28 in January so he's still got some quality years left. Babcock's going to like that he's 6'3 and 215 pounds and can skate too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad