Carl "Yeti" Soderberg ‎- The Legend Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I would like to see what Carl could do playing with a real speed demon,he is such a good passer I think he could spring a guy loose and we would be off to the races .Kelly and Cunningham is not a good fit.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just when doubt was creeping in he turns in a great game like this.

When Keejci plays .83 PPG and without him .55. That is amazing but tells us our third line center projects as a 65 point player with 37 & 46 in lineup

johpers

Aug 20, 2003
Sverige
Visit site

When Keejci plays .83 PPG and without him .55. That is amazing but tells us our third line center projects as a 65 point player with 37 & 46 in lineup

Will it be money to keep Soderberg after this season? Soderberg just a third line center and he is right now scoring leader in Boston (8+20)

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH

While I do see the hard numbers that support the claim that he does better on the 3rd....and of course he would....he is, on the average, much better than what most teams have on their 3rd lines.
I will say this however, during the time that DK was out, Yeti was playing with an assortment of wingers. Also players do go through slumps...so who knows...he may have been in a slump....or he may just not be top 6 material yet.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
While I do see the hard numbers that support the claim that he does better on the 3rd....and of course he would....he is, on the average, much better than what most teams have on their 3rd lines.
I will say this however, during the time that DK was out, Yeti was playing with an assortment of wingers. Also players do go through slumps...so who knows...he may have been in a slump....or he may just not be top 6 material yet.

I`m not sure he`ll ever be that player who could nightly go up against the top D-men of the opponents and produce or be as effective as he is when he`s playing the "3rd line" role consistently

Not that he doesn`t see the opponents top d ever but I would suspect most teams match their top four against DK and Bergy

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
There's an argument to be made that when the team is firing on all cylinders we actually have a pair of "first lines" in Krejci's and Bergeron's lines (1A & 1B) and that Soderberg's line is functionally equivalent to a solid second line. I do think he gets exposed a bit when one of the other two top centers goes missing. So there's that. Is he a bonafide 2nd line Center? I think that remains to be seen.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
There's an argument to be made that when the team is firing on all cylinders we actually have a pair of "first lines" in Krejci's and Bergeron's lines (1A & 1B) and that Soderberg's line is functionally equivalent to a solid second line. I do think he gets exposed a bit when one of the other two top centers goes missing. So there's that. Is he a bonafide 2nd line Center? I think that remains to be seen.

Does it?

Hanzal, Dubinsky, Coyle, Plek's, Nelson, Zibanejad, Scheifele, Bonino, Zajac, Fisher, Stepan etc....

I don't have too much trouble measuring Soderberg up to that caliber of player, do you? Those are pretty typical #2C's...

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Does it?

Hanzal, Dubinsky, Coyle, Plek's, Nelson, Zibanejad, Scheifele, Bonino, Zajac, Fisher, Stepan etc....

I don't have too much trouble measuring Soderberg up to that caliber of player, do you? Those are pretty typical #2C's...
Yeah, I think so. I think we saw that during Krejci's hiatus. I think having Bergy and Krejci centering those top two lines protects Soderberg, keeps him from being exposed to other team's top lines, regardless of how he compares to the example centers you provided.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Is Chris Kelly a legit 2nd line player?

Is Lucic when he's not moving his feet?

Was Loui until a few weeks ago?

I have no doubt Soderberg could succeed as a #2 with two Top 6 wings.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I have no doubt Soderberg could succeed as a #2 with two Top 6 wings.
Perhaps. It's not like I completely dismissed it. But he definitely had a chance to show it in Krejci's absence and I don't think he did. He and Looch struggled with similar line mates to what Krejci and Looch had/have. I certainly wouldn't NOT give him another chance. I just think the jury's still out on it is all.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Perhaps. It's not like I completely dismissed it. But he definitely had a chance to show it in Krejci's absence and I don't think he did. He and Looch struggled with similar line mates to what Krejci and Looch had/have. I certainly wouldn't NOT give him another chance. I just think the jury's still out on it is all.

He "struggled" with Lucic when he was playing poorly.

Put Carl with last year's Looch/Iginla combo or Looch/Horton and I think he would do just fine against Top 6 competition. This is not ever going to happen, but I believe that if the B's were to trade Krejci for a 1st line wing like Hall (or a similar player) and you played him with Carl and Loui or Lucic, they would produce against top lines.

Spilled milk, but this is what I would have liked to have seen the B's explore this past off season. That would have opended up a spot for Spooner or KoKo as a 3rd line C and allowed the B's to allocate their $$$ a little differently. Now that DK has inked an extension, that will obviously not happen and the B's are left without a 1st line RW. This isn't me trying to say that I think Carl is better than DK, it's me saying that when your two best prospects at the time were centers, maybe it was something they should have considered.

IMO a Top 9 of:

17-34-Hall-63-37-18-23-51/78-21

Is greater than:

17-46-53-63-37-18-23-34-21

It's debatable for sure, but that's the way I feel.

plemur

Meh.
Feb 24, 2007
Nieuw Hamster
twitter.com
He has the best production on the team and the second highest +/-. Say what you want about those stats, but he simply produces opportunities and is decent defensively.

Give him first line minutes, first line talent with him (for example: Marchand and Smith. Obviously breaking up the Bergeron line would be silly, but let's face it, he plays with Kelly. God love him, he's a decent player, but a true 3rd liner), and put him up against better competition and I wouldn't be surprised--in the least--if he kept the same edge in both categories or only fell to the level of Krejci and Bergeron.

The guy simply shows up game after game, which is much more than can be said for some of the Bruins (ahem, you all know who).

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
There has to be an ultimatum for Yeti to sign his extension. If he's not signed at the deadline, Chiarelli has to trade him. He would most likely be target #1 on the market with his skills and low Cap hit so we could get quite the assets in return.

Priority #1 is still to sign him but if that can't be done, they have to trade him. Then either give his 3rd line spot to Koko/Spooner or get someone else in a separate trade.

If he's signed, then trade at least 1 of Koko/Spooner for a comparable W or D prospect.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

I agree,I think he's a a third line player at this point,pretty good when he's facing lower defensive pairings and below average when he isn't.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
There has to be an ultimatum for Yeti to sign his extension. If he's not signed at the deadline, Chiarelli has to trade him. He would most likely be target #1 on the market with his skills and low Cap hit so we could get quite the assets in return.

Priority #1 is still to sign him but if that can't be done, they have to trade him. Then either give his 3rd line spot to Koko/Spooner or get someone else in a separate trade.

If he's signed, then trade at least 1 of Koko/Spooner for a comparable W or D prospect.

Maybe we have pulled/lowered our offer to him? He hasn't been lighting it up.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He has the best production on the team and the second highest +/-. Say what you want about those stats, but he simply produces opportunities and is decent defensively.

Give him first line minutes, first line talent with him (for example: Marchand and Smith. Obviously breaking up the Bergeron line would be silly, but let's face it, he plays with Kelly. God love him, he's a decent player, but a true 3rd liner), and put him up against better competition and I wouldn't be surprised--in the least--if he kept the same edge in both categories or only fell to the level of Krejci and Bergeron.

The guy simply shows up game after game, which is much more than can be said for some of the Bruins (ahem, you all know who).

.83 with Krejci in lineup and .55 without; to me good player but wouldn't go near $5 M on him

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
Pay the man

Serious question, what is it going to take to keep the Yeti? Money, not resigning someone what?

He's been one player for me this year that tries to give it every night he's out there. Really seems to me like they could find a way to retain him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Serious question, what is it going to take to keep the Yeti? Money, not resigning someone what?

He's been one player for me this year that tries to give it every night he's out there. Really seems to me like they could find a way to retain him.

I go three years about $9-10 and the one guy I would actually give a NMC to

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That seems more then reasonable to me. I don't see him taking that though.

You can't pay your third line center to me $4-5 M especially when you have offensive type cheap high draft picks ready

I want Soda but 3 years limit and under $4 m

If he leaves I plan/hope that I can add Koko & Pasta to that third line and top 9 and now the Bruins just got younger with a bleep load of skill - add a few young defenseman to the system via draft and this thing can reload quick and give us something to look forward to

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You can't pay your third line center to me $4-5 M especially when you have offensive type cheap high draft picks ready

I want Soda but 3 years limit and under $4 m

If he leaves I plan/hope that I can add Koko & Pasta to that third line and top 9 and now the Bruins just got younger with a bleep load of skill - add a few young defenseman to the system via draft and this thing can reload quick and give us something to look forward to

I can pretty much guarantee that 3 years is what he's looking for and after that he's heading back to Sweden.

As for the money, no specifics, but the numbers thrown around on here are pretty ridiculous. Now if the Bruins don't re-sign him, then I can see it as it will become an all out bidding war.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I would go as high as $4.25M on a 3-4 year contract. I'd rather the 3rd line be a big, heavy line than a small skilled line (Koko/Pasta/Griffith, etc). More suitable to playoff hockey.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
3 years, 3.7M - of which 2 M signing bonus so he gets some up front and can bankroll that today. That would give a 3rd line of $9M or so assuming yo have a yute on the LW next year. 72M cap it's reasonable.

Anything over 4.5 B's let him walk which would be really disappointing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad