Value of: Carey Price and Shea Weber

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
If solid goaltending versus "elite goaltending" in a vacuum, is the only thing that's stopping you from putting your team over the top then yea, I would agree with you. That's not the case though. The context is Price into his late 30's, being paid significantly more than any other comparables right now, at a 8 digit salary into his late 30's. Maybe if the market resets I can buy an argument otherwise.

You could have said the same about Lundqvist. Price is simply the new standard because he won a Hart. You have two players making more than Price who have achieved less. Let it go. You haven't proven that two #1Cs is a recipe for a Cup win.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
You could have said the same about Lundqvist. Price is simply the new standard because he won a Hart. You have two players making more than Price who have achieved less. Let it go. You haven't proven that two #1Cs is a recipe for a Cup win.

Both those centers would have made just as much, and more, on the open market with teams lining up for their services. I am not convinced Price would, and that's the rationale for my initial post in this thread.

Lundqvist is a similar cautionary tale to me

As for bringing up Matthews/Tavares- I'm not sure signing them is a blueprint for a cup- nor am I arguing it is, but remain optimistic. Not sure what you are getting out of bringing it up, other then trying to get a reaction out of me though. Yes, I'm a Leafs fan, we last won the cup in 1967- get your pot shots in now so you can feel better.

Let what go? You were the one that replied to my initial post and questioned my logic and I have tried to politely argue my opinion/rationale- which I don't think is an absolute to begin with.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Both those centers would have made just as much, and more, on the open market with teams lining up for their services. I am not convinced Price would, and that's the rationale for my initial post in this thread.

Lundqvist is a similar cautionary tale to me

As for bringing up Matthews/Tavares- I'm not sure signing them is a blueprint for a cup- nor am I arguing it is, but remain optimistic. Not sure what you are getting out of bringing it up, other then trying to get a reaction out of me though. Yes, I'm a Leafs fan, we last won the cup in 1967- get your pot shots in now so you can feel better.

Let what go? You were the one that replied to my initial post and questioned my logic and I have tried to politely argue my opinion/rationale- which I don't think is an absolute to begin with.

After a Hart win? Lol. We're done here.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Yea let's ignore context that Price is the only goalie at the moment, signed into his late 30's, even approaching a 8 digit salary with term. How many of these "older goalies" serve as comparable's?

Despite you never stating it outright, the "best goalie in the world" statement is purely subjective and honestly has not been true for a while now.

Also you've seemed to create a straw-man for yourself based on my comment. I didn't imply specifically that Price-> another team would not qualify as some thought experiment, but I don't doubt the interest would be minimal.

As for your blanket statement that a GM who is desperate for job security would be enamored with the idea of Price- this statement is tough to dispute because it's such a baseless comment.
Price signed almost the exact same deal as Henrik lundqvist. Pretty much same % of cap and same length. Signed at roughly the same age too.I don't think that was a bad decision from the rangers and can't see why it would be for the habs going forward with the cap raising in the future years

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Don't worry...with that contract Price is not tradeable......you are stuck with him whether you like it or not! Same with Weber.
I wouldnt even want teams to start asking management about Price and possibly get them thinking of moving him. He’s untouchable if it were up to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad