Value of: Carey Price and Shea Weber

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Why are the habs rebuilding, when they are clear contenders in the east, exactly? Unless there are severe locker room issues (a la Flyers in 2010/11), this seems counter productive..

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Rebuild. Habs will lose Price in 1 year adn if that happens, having Weber becomes useless.

Yes we have known this for years if Price chooses not to sign an 8 year max deal on July 1st 2017 he will be traded on July 2nd 2017....Carey Price will be making a 9 year family decision on July 1st 2017 if him and his wife want to live out west for family reasons then Montreal will explore trading him this off season if he agrees he has a NTC you would have to trade him to a team he wants to go to.:)

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Why are the habs rebuilding, when they are clear contenders in the east, exactly? Unless there are severe locker room issues (a la Flyers in 2010/11), this seems counter productive..

I don't understand why some people keep repeating that the Canadiens are contenders in the east. They most certainly are not. They play in the weakest division in the entire league and are in danger of getting passed by Ottawa (against whom they have a sequence of 3 games out of 5 in march and are pretty much 3 guaranteed losses since, y'know, it's Ottawa and the Habs suck against Ottawa (and pretty much every other time at the moment), Florida, Boston and Toronto. So they very well might miss the playoffs again this season. It might actually be the best time to rebuild as we have players that are in their prime years to trade for valuable futures (Pacioretty, Price, Weber and Gallagher to a lesser extent) and Markov is close to retirement. We also have an empty prospect pool aside from 2-3 guys. If we ever had a chance, it was in 2014. That ship has sailed and the team is in a very unclear spot. Montreal is absolutely not a contender, let a alone a clear contender.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
Yes we have known this for years if Price chooses not to sign an 8 year max deal on July 1st 2017 he will be traded on July 2nd 2017....Carey Price will be making a 9 year family decision on July 1st 2017 if him and his wife want to live out west for family reasons then Montreal will explore trading him this off season if he agrees he has a NTC you would have to trade him to a team he wants to go to.:)

Price has a NTC and a NMC. He has a list of 15 teams in his NTC.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't understand why some people keep repeating that the Canadiens are contenders in the east. They most certainly are not. They play in the weakest division in the entire league and are in danger of getting passed by Ottawa (against whom they have a sequence of 3 games out of 5 in march and are pretty much 3 guaranteed losses since, y'know, it's Ottawa and the Habs suck against Ottawa (and pretty much every other time at the moment), Florida, Boston and Toronto. So they very well might miss the playoffs again this season. It might actually be the best time to rebuild as we have players that are in their prime years to trade for valuable futures (Pacioretty, Price, Weber and Gallagher to a lesser extent) and Markov is close to retirement. We also have an empty prospect pool aside from 2-3 guys. If we ever had a chance, it was in 2014. That ship has sailed and the team is in a very unclear spot. Montreal is absolutely not a contender, let a alone a clear contender.

Admittedly, i dont watch the habs too often. But the times i do, they look like a good team. The last 10 games probably dont reflect that, but i imagine adjusting to a new coach and system may have something to do with that. But i'll trust MTL fans opinions if they really think they aren't in the conversation for a deep playoff run.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Admittedly, i dont watch the habs too often. But the times i do, they look like a good team. The last 10 games probably dont reflect that, but i imagine adjusting to a new coach and system may have something to do with that. But i'll trust MTL fans opinions if they really think they aren't in the conversation for a deep playoff run.

I mean, the team has good players that are underachieving, but we are also missing a top 6 left winger and center BIG time. I'm not sure how we can entertain any hope with Philip Danault centering the 1st line and Paul Byron on the 2nd line while Plekanec is falling hard. We have glaring holes in the lineup and no prospect can fill them. In that context, any injury at this point would be disastrous.

Like you said, the last 10 games might not show the real identity of this team, but they have been terrible since November nonetheless. If we hope to win anything this year, Price will have to play better than he's ever played because the defense, starting with Weber, is not getting it done and the forwards can't buy a goal.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada

The new coach has had only one game with his new team. The decision to fire the last one was long overdue. We'll give coach Julien time to adjust. Hopefully, the GM will be active very soon. Firing the coach is not enough.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
These guys are off their rocker. Habs need one more good defenseman (sergachev will likely be nhl ready next year, plus vegas factor of defenseman flying in june). and one more top 6 centre and habs are going after shipachev odds are the habs make an honest cup run next year.

Mods close this thread please because well read the title.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
This will NEVER happen. but I'll give it a shot anyways.. just for fun.

To Anaheim:
Price
Weber

To Montreal:
Gibson
Lindholm
Bieksa (cap reasons)
1st

Why Anaheim does it?
Price is 29 and Weber is 31. They are the best 2 players in the deal, and they fit their core of Perry (31), Getzlaf (31), and Kesler (32). This makes them legit cup contenders for the next 1-3 years IMO. They go all-in basically. I would imagine Price would be happy to re-sign as a UFA if the Ducks are as good as I would think they would be.

Why Montreal does it?
Lindholm and Gibson are both 23. They retool while clearing cap space and acquiring solid replacement players. They get more time to get their roster together, and open their cup window in 2-3 years with a younger core. They also don't risk losing Price for nothing.

I'll put on my flame suit now. Any deal with players as big as these is bound to get anyone on the hot seat. lol

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
These guys are off their rocker. Habs need one more good defenseman (sergachev will likely be nhl ready next year, plus vegas factor of defenseman flying in june). and one more top 6 centre and habs are going after shipachev odds are the habs make an honest cup run next year.

Mods close this thread please because well read the title.

What happens if we miss the playoffs, again??

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

To Anaheim:
Price
Weber

To Montreal:
Gibson
Lindholm
Bieksa (cap reasons)
1st

Why Anaheim does it?
Price is 29 and Weber is 31. They are the best 2 players in the deal, and they fit their core of Perry (31), Getzlaf (31), and Kesler (32). This makes them legit cup contenders for the next 1-3 years IMO. They go all-in basically. I would imagine Price would be happy to re-sign as a UFA if the Ducks are as good as I would think they would be.

Why Montreal does it?
Lindholm and Gibson are both 23. They retool while clearing cap space and acquiring solid replacement players. They get more time to get their roster together, and open their cup window in 2-3 years with a younger core. They also don't risk losing Price for nothing.

I'll put on my flame suit now. Any deal with players as big as these is bound to get anyone on the hot seat. lol

Add in Rakell and I might bite.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

To Anaheim:
Price
Weber

To Montreal:
Gibson
Lindholm
Bieksa (cap reasons)
1st

Why Anaheim does it?

Why Montreal does it?

Replace the first with Rakell and i do it.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Just for fun and for the sake of this thread : How many think the Habs will make the playoffs??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad