Value of: Carey Price and Shea Weber

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
If they were to decide to trade both players, they're doing it separately. Price is worth more. I wouldn't want to get a goalie in direct return for him. Roy Curse, and all. I'd be wanting a young, high end, impact center for him. Plus, plus.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
This will NEVER happen. but I'll give it a shot anyways.. just for fun.

To Anaheim:
Price
Weber

To Montreal:
Gibson
Lindholm
Bieksa (cap reasons)
1st

Why Anaheim does it?
Price is 29 and Weber is 31. They are the best 2 players in the deal, and they fit their core of Perry (31), Getzlaf (31), and Kesler (32). This makes them legit cup contenders for the next 1-3 years IMO. They go all-in basically. I would imagine Price would be happy to re-sign as a UFA if the Ducks are as good as I would think they would be.

Why Montreal does it?
Lindholm and Gibson are both 23. They retool while clearing cap space and acquiring solid replacement players. They get more time to get their roster together, and open their cup window in 2-3 years with a younger core. They also don't risk losing Price for nothing.

I'll put on my flame suit now. Any deal with players as big as these is bound to get anyone on the hot seat. lol

If Montreal was forced to rebuild this is a decent offer. I would like another good piece in there though.

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
I think you need to look at older teams on the cusp of contention because of his contract status, if you are trading Price, also it will most likely have to be a west coast team... which leaves only 2 I think...

Anaheim - loaded with prospects
San Jose - less prospect depth, but fits the veteran team mold better, would probably pay more in draft picks and maybe martin jones?

Of the 2, for me as a fan, Anheim fits the most, and while I don't know if we could land something like John Gibson (2.3 Mil until 2018-19, then RFA), Nick Ritchie and a 1st, it would be something to consider if the offer came in. Is that realistic, or am I being a homer?

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If the habs ever trade price it would be a full rebuild trade. (like young assets and hopeful).

i.e. Soderstrom, Barzal, Beauvillier, 1st maybe add in Halak for cap reason.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
If the habs ever trade price it would be a full rebuild trade. (like young assets and hopeful).

i.e. Soderstrom, Barzal, Beauvillier, 1st maybe add in Halak for cap reason.

I understand the idea, but NYI is not the best fit for a trade at this point in time. Unless they think that they can win in the cup within the next 5 years because these will probably more or less the time span in which Price's play should not decline so much. If they didn't have Talbot, Edm would have been a good fit. Rivalry/history aside, Toronto might have been a good fit, but their young players are not available and their picks will be lower as we move forward. The idea would be to trade Price to a team that would still finish low in the standings this year and next year and that should be ready to compete in 2 years. Maybe Winnipeg? They have great young players, prospects, will have high picks again and should eventually be ready to compete in a year or 2. I know that they are hopeful with their current goalie options though. I don't know much about them, so Price might be exactly what they don't need for the next few years, I have absolutely no idea.

Just throwing thoughts around.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
The Habs live and die with Price so assuming they lose him, the op is completely right. You will watch Weber slowly fade into retirement when he has useful years left.

The Habs unfortunately are a very average team outside of Price. The goal should be to pay him anything he wants then figure out the rest.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I understand the idea, but NYI is not the best fit for a trade at this point in time. Unless they think that they can win in the cup within the next 5 years because these will probably more or less the time span in which Price's play should not decline so much. If they didn't have Talbot, Edm would have been a good fit. Rivalry/history aside, Toronto might have been a good fit, but their young players are not available and their picks will be lower as we move forward. The idea would be to trade Price to a team that would still finish low in the standings this year and next year and that should be ready to compete in 2 years. Maybe Winnipeg? They have great young players, prospects, will have high picks again and should eventually be ready to compete in a year or 2. I know that they are hopeful with their current goalie options though. I don't know much about them, so Price might be exactly what they don't need for the next few years, I have absolutely no idea.

Just throwing thoughts around.
Well if they want to re-sign Tavares they might make a strong push to improve their team and competr with Duchene and Price.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Montreal is going to rebuild after they paid Claude Julien $25M to coach their team? Highly doubtful in my opinion.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I'll give it a show from the Avs pov for s and g's.

To Col

Weber
Price

To MTL
Duchene
Varlamov
Barrie

Absolutely not, WTF, you want the Habs to become a 50 point per year team. Barrie is awful and so is Varlamov, not even close to being appealing.

If traded in a package I'd send em to Anaheim for Gibson, Ritchie, Fowler and a cap dump, give em a cup or two.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I'll give it a show from the Avs pov for s and g's.

To Col

Weber
Price

To MTL
Duchene
Varlamov
Barrie

This is horrible for the habs. Not only is the value off but if the habs trade these two we are rebuilding so we'd want mackinnon and Zadorov +++as an opening offer. Then the habs counter offer that saying it isn't enough.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Montreal is going to rebuild after they paid Claude Julien $25M to coach their team? Highly doubtful in my opinion.

This team is headed towards no clear destination. Last year, I remember a member of the media asking GM Bergevin about the direction in which the team was going and Bergevin, in all his arrogance, answered ''the right direction''. Now, a year later, we have no idea about where we are headed. It seems as though Bergevin's plan was severely hindered by Price's injury last year and his play this year. In my opinion, he wanted to go at it last year, but after price's injury, we all know how that turned out. He wanted to try again this year, but Price's play wasn't up there and players underachieved (Weber, Plekanec, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Petry). Now he has only one year left with price after this season with no reasons for Price to stay beyond his current contract. In my opinion, Bergevin wants to try one last time next season and felt that Julien was the man to do that. The 5 year contract was just the price to pay. If it doesn't work, I feel that Bergevin will have to admit that his plan has failed and that we have to start over.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Well if they want to re-sign Tavares they might make a strong push to improve their team and competr with Duchene and Price.

You have a point. I must admit that I don't know that much about NYI except that they have some very appealling prospects in Barzal and Beauvillier. That Ladd contract is abysmal though and might cripple their chances of building a winning team. Cap management is so important these days that you can't afford these kinds of mistakes.

But I agree, they do have to try to make the best out of Tavares' next couple of years.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I don't think the team is a contender, this year, but I'm willing to give Bergevin the off season to fix the issues.
That starts with trading for Duchene or signing Shipachyov, while keeping Galchenyuk.
Fixing the D, finding a partner for Weber.
Gluing the bottom 6 players in the bottom 6. Any team that feels Byron is a top 6 player is seriously in trouble.

As for the OP.
To early to pull at that thread.
Yes Bergevin waited way to long to trade out that obsolete dinosaur Therrien, but maybe Julien can work some miracles.
Give them time to adjust and settle in.
They won't trade Price until the TDL next year if they are going to. Gives Bergevin time to talk him into an extension, but he needs to grow a pair and take more risks if he ever plans on this team winning.

Lastly, trading Price would likely be the last official act Bergevin makes as GM of the Habs. This would signal a rebuild, and Bergevin won't be the GM for that. He will of had his chance and shown that he was unqualified, which he is.

Last edited:

HockeyFan87

Apr 5, 2012
I don't think the team is a contender, this year, but I'm willing to give Bergevin the off season to fix the issues.
That starts with trading for Duchene or signing Shipachyov, while keeping Galchenyuk.
Fixing the D, finding a partner for Weber.
Gluing the bottom 6 players in the bottom 6. Any team that feels Byron is a top 6 player is seriously in trouble.

As for the OP.
To early to pull at that thread.
Yes Bergevin waited way to long to trade out that obsolete dinosaur Therrien, but maybe Julien can work some miracles.
Give them time to adjust and settle in.
They won't trade Price until the TDL next year if they are going to. Gives Bergevin time to talk him into an extension, but he needs to grow a pair and take more risks if he ever plans on this team winning.

Lastly, trading Price would likely be the last official act Bergevin makes as GM of the Habs. This would signal a rebuild, and Bergevin won't be the GM for that. He will of had his chance and shown that he was unqualified, which he is.

I agree.

If the habs ever go into a rebuild by trading Price, It won't be Bergevin starting that. It will more likely be the habs next GM who will be committed to a rebuild through the draft and the development of the young players.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

To Anaheim:
Price
Weber

To Montreal:
Gibson
Lindholm
Bieksa (cap reasons)
1st

Why Anaheim does it?
Price is 29 and Weber is 31. They are the best 2 players in the deal, and they fit their core of Perry (31), Getzlaf (31), and Kesler (32). This makes them legit cup contenders for the next 1-3 years IMO. They go all-in basically. I would imagine Price would be happy to re-sign as a UFA if the Ducks are as good as I would think they would be.

Why Montreal does it?
Lindholm and Gibson are both 23. They retool while clearing cap space and acquiring solid replacement players. They get more time to get their roster together, and open their cup window in 2-3 years with a younger core. They also don't risk losing Price for nothing.

I'll put on my flame suit now. Any deal with players as big as these is bound to get anyone on the hot seat. lol

I have to admit this is tempting. Probably would want 1 more piece but this was a good one.....

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
To Montreal: Cam Talbot, Leon Draisaitl, Griffin Reinhart and 3rd pick 2018

vs

To Edmonton: Carey Price, Shea Weber@40% retained and 2nd pick 2019 maybe?

Mad Brills*

To Anaheim:
Price
Weber

To Montreal:
Gibson
Lindholm
Bieksa (cap reasons)
1st

Why Anaheim does it?

Why Montreal does it?

Add one of silf/rakell instead of the 1st and I think the habs honestly do it.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Leafs gave Babcock a reported $6.25M to be captain the SS Maple Leaf Titanic, so who knows :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad