OT: Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm in the middle of probably my most marketable project so far. I'm updating our company financial model (budget) for 5 new channels. Lots of boring work but pretty fun overall. Would projects like this come a long way in an FP&A career or am I being overly optimistic like I usually am with these things? My plan is to stay in my company for like 3 years despite the low pay and show a good amount of experience in the field and prove that I'm not a job hopper.

Edit: I kind of merged two thoughts there, but is helping build out the budget for the company highly marketable?

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
I'm in the middle of probably my most marketable project so far. I'm updating our company financial model (budget) for 5 new channels. Lots of boring work but pretty fun overall. Would projects like this come a long way in an FP&A career or am I being overly optimistic like I usually am with these things? My plan is to stay in my company for like 3 years despite the low pay and show a good amount of experience in the field and prove that I'm not a job hopper.

Edit: I kind of merged two thoughts there, but is helping build out the budget for the company highly marketable?

You don't need to stay at a place for 3 years in order to be viewed as not a job hopper. As long as you don't repeatedly leave jobs after 1-2 years.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You don't need to stay at a place for 3 years in order to be viewed as not a job hopper. As long as you don't repeatedly leave jobs after 1-2 years.

My friend has a great resume, IMHO. Management consulting, big-name Fortune 500 companies, and a top 20 MBA. He's not getting interviews and thinks it's because he's hopped around. He worked at Capital One for almost 2 years but mostly he's stayed at jobs otherwise very short periods of time. And he's not getting any traction, it's pretty shocking. So that's why I want to play it safe, my last 2 jobs were a year or less.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
My friend has a great resume, IMHO. Management consulting, big-name Fortune 500 companies, and a top 20 MBA. He's not getting interviews and thinks it's because he's hopped around. He worked at Capital One for almost 2 years but mostly he's stayed at jobs otherwise very short periods of time. And he's not getting any traction, it's pretty shocking. So that's why I want to play it safe, my last 2 jobs were a year or less.

I mean your last 2 jobs being a year or less looks very bad, so yeah..you should stay. For your friend, he could be bad at interviewing or bad fits. Not everything is explainable, you still can add value being at a company for 2 years or less. From all accounts I have heard, MBAs are useless unless its not a top 5, maybe top 10 school. They are used for networking or career changes, that's about it.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I mean your last 2 jobs being a year or less looks very bad, so yeah..you should stay. For your friend, he could be bad at interviewing or bad fits. Not everything is explainable, you still can add value being at a company for 2 years or less. From all accounts I have heard, MBAs are useless unless its not a top 5, maybe top 10 school. They are used for networking or career changes, that's about it.

Well he's not getting to the interview part. And yeah it's a good MBA but not elite. Not sure about it being completely useless but we both have found that outside of networking and on campus recruiting employers value experience more. The weird thing is he has experience.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Do you all find slacks and a button down, or even a suit sans a tie, uncomfortable?

I’ve always been intrigued by this. We have a business casual dress code, but you need to wear suits when you meet with clients. I find slacks and a shirt to be quite comfortable, so even on a “casual” Friday, when people tend to dress down a bit, I will go business casual. Some of my colleagues are flabbergasted at the notion that I wouldn’t take full advantage of casual Friday. I even have friends that don’t work in my industry that have said they couldn’t even imagine working in it because of the dress code.

I find it a bit amusing, but maybe I’m just used to dressing this way now. Even a suit I don’t mind wearing (I’ll rip a tie off the moment I’m out of a client meeting though) but evidently I’m not the norm here.

I’m with you. I prefer to wear “work clothes”, including suits, over jeans. I work in sports so we are business causal unless you’ve got client meetings. With client meetings you’re in a suite. On Friday it’s casual if the team is on the road or offseason and then formal with the team in town.

Reactions: Kane One

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I'm just venting at this point but long story short tough day at work. I made a mistake, I was given 15 minutes to fix something that should take a lot more than that. I tried fixing it but due to the time crunch apparently f***ed it up more. Basically my boss did it himself and was pissed at me and we got into an argument. I'm still feeling the after effects for a little while I was worried about my job.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I got an email that I've been nominated for a promotion to associate. This would be the first promotion I've ever had. I think it's a pretty good chance considering the email was from the executive committee and I make the deck for our monthly executive committee meetings. Pretty much every executive and decision-maker knows my name.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
So I got an email that I've been nominated for a promotion to associate. This would be the first promotion I've ever had. I think it's a pretty good chance considering the email was from the executive committee and I make the deck for our monthly executive committee meetings. Pretty much every executive and decision-maker knows my name.
Maybe this means you overthink way too much about everything. Keep the confidence up.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe this means you overthink way too much about everything. Keep the confidence up.

Jesus, I'm honestly working on my confidence right now but I can't even perceive it when I don't show it. Not everyone gets promoted if they're nominated and I just was giving reasons why I think I will get it. I don't even understand what in that post shows a lack of confidence. If you could tell me I'd appreciate it.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Jesus, I'm honestly working on my confidence right now but I can't even perceive it when I don't show it. Not everyone gets promoted if they're nominated and I just was giving reasons why I think I will get it. I don't even understand what in that post shows a lack of confidence. If you could tell me I'd appreciate it.
I didn’t mean this post. I was referring to the majority of your posts in this thread where it always comes off as if you’re having a panic attack.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Sorry to bump this, but I'm in need of some advice myself.

I've been in higher ed for a few years now, but I've had enough. Real toxic workplace, and I'm just tired of it for the relatively low pay. I was an English BA and English MA graduate with a 4.0, but that's English, so I'm guessing back to school might be my best way to go for a change, just not sure for what. Plus getting closer to 30, it tends to feel worse and worse that I don't exactly know where I'm headed.

What's the best way to navigate a potential change? Just looking for advice from people who have gone through it.

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013

I've been in higher ed for a few years now, but I've had enough. Real toxic workplace, and I'm just tired of it for the relatively low pay. I was an English BA and English MA graduate with a 4.0, but that's English, so I'm guessing back to school might be my best way to go for a change, just not sure for what. Plus getting closer to 30, it tends to feel worse and worse that I don't exactly know where I'm headed.

What's the best way to navigate a potential change? Just looking for advice from people who have gone through it.

It’s tough when you don’t really have any idea of what the next step might be. On one hand, I would suggest business school as the number of potential career options are more numerous than any other going back to school option. However, there are way too many MBAs in this world and for the most part, very few of them enjoy what they do. Plus, by the time you get you applications in you will be Class of 2023 which is a ways off from now. But definitely consider this option and do more research.

Have you also considered finding a new position with another university/college/or whatever you work for? Maybe you can find a better work environment.

Reactions: Charlie Conway

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019

Don't be afraid to switch careers if you can swing it financially. Online coursework, night classes, and the internet have made it easier than ever to pick up new trades on the fly, especially in the IT fields if any interest there.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

What kind of work do you do in higher ed? Also, what kind of school? What is it about your current gig that feels toxic?

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Don't be afraid to switch careers if you can swing it financially. Online coursework, night classes, and the internet have made it easier than ever to pick up new trades on the fly, especially in the IT fields if any interest there.
I think Berkeley has a great data science masters; Columbia has a great online CS masters and data science certificate, if you want to add some big names on your resume. Carnegie Mellon, I believe, also has a program.

Reactions: Charlie Conway

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
What kind of work do you do in higher ed? Also, what kind of school? What is it about your current gig that feels toxic?

I work in advisement for a community college. Been there a few years now, and there's not much there in terms of potential growth. The money has been okay (heading towards the low 60s), but it's just not fulfilling anymore.

It's toxic in the sense that my supervisor doesn't do his job and shovels a majority of the work onto me, and the other middle-management and upper-management folks know and agree but do nothing about it. We also had things re-organized recently, so we have 4 supervisors essentially doing the same job, so I hear the same thing 4 times.

I had a promotion blocked once before because the department didn't want me to leave. There's a lot of office gossip that could really be done without.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Any young accountants looking for a job? Office I work at for over 11 years is hiring. You need to be a hard worker though not posting hockey during work :)

Reactions: Crease

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not about my career directly but I'm going to be a volunteer tutor. Hopefully I'll help people and learn valuable career and life skills. I'm also working on become a translator volunteer for HIAS. I'll also get career services through tutoring program. Pretty excited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gardner McKay

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Anyone have any experience moving to NYC (or nearby) and not get a cost of living adjustment in their salary? If so, how did you handle it (look for new job/company, etc.)? Thanks.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Anyone have any experience moving to NYC (or nearby) and not get a cost of living adjustment in their salary? If so, how did you handle it (look for new job/company, etc.)? Thanks.
Depends on where you're moving from. Not all cities/counties surrounding NYC actually necessitate a COLA adjustment. Also, it would depend on what your current employers threshold is for COLA. Can you give some more info?

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Depends on where you're moving from. Not all cities/counties surrounding NYC actually necessitate a COLA adjustment. Also, it would depend on what your current employers threshold is for COLA. Can you give some more info?
True... yea, didn't want to post a big wall of text if no one had any insights.

Currently, I live in southern PA and work in DE for one of the big banks. I'd be moving to/near Staten Island, but for personal reasons, not bank relocation. So, without going thru HR yet, I don't believe I would get any pay bump. However, on some slight research, it looks like I might expect around a 30% increase in COL.

While I might be ok at my current salary, I'd feel a lot less stressed if I did get a bump. Also not sure if those figures online are accurate or not, but I'm not sure how to approach this possibility yet, so was hoping to hear any outside thoughts/opinions. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad