OT: Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Hey guys I'm a senior in college right now and I was wondering if anyone had some career advice for me. I'm applying for a bunch of financial analyst and data analyst positions right now and haven't gotten much good news yet. Yes that means I'm one of those fancy stats people! Just figured I'd ask you guys since we're a pretty diverse group. Feel free to respond or DM me!

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Hey guys I'm a senior in college right now and I was wondering if anyone had some career advice for me. I'm applying for a bunch of financial analyst and data analyst positions right now and haven't gotten much good news yet. Yes that means I'm one of those fancy stats people! Just figured I'd ask you guys since we're a pretty diverse group. Feel free to respond or DM me!

Good luck and stay open-minded. Managers love employees who are on time, do good work, and are a pleasure to be around. The secret is that you only have to be two out of the three.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

(feel free to DM me if this gets locked)

Nerd!

Can you supply any more info? Location? What type of company you want to work for?

Look into:

Hedge funds
Start up companies

and a low-key area to look into would be ad agencies, who(m?) are relying more and more on digital data every day (the pay won't be great here, I know from experience).

farley.png

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Start ups are one way to go. If you're still a senior, it might not be a bad idea to take on a start up role if nothing else is available. Less in way of pay if any and other benefits but if it works out well, it could turn into a full time position that would otherwise take longer to leverage at an established firm. It's a tough decision to make.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Start ups are one way to go. If you're still a senior, it might not be a bad idea to take on a start up role if nothing else is available. Less in way of pay if any and other benefits but if it works out well, it could turn into a full time position that would otherwise take longer to leverage at an established firm. It's a tough decision to make.

He's right but you are young you can afford to take risks out of college unless you are drowning in debt. Did you do internships?

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

Are you interested in working for data companies/startups? Feel free to PM me.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Well I'm currently in Tallahassee, FL. I go to Florida state. But I'm looking to relocated when I graduate. Hopefully move up north.

Any answer that isn't NYC i unfortunately can't help with

How does your resume look?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Have you done an internship? That's kind of why you probably aren't getting much right now. Most of those positions are going to on campus recruiting folks or folks who went through their internship programs.

Going MBA route or anything?

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I've been applying to a couple jobs in NYC.
My resume is unfornuately pretty empty... just an internship with a state legislator here in florida

I work at a college here in New York.

Is the spring your last semester? I'd look into joining a club, or see if you could work at a tutoring center on campus. Any volunteer work? What kind of hobbies are you into? Sometimes you can integrate stuff like that into a resume.

I'd definitely look into internships. You probably have an internship office on campus who can set those things up. Also check the job postings on college websites. Sometimes they're looking for finance-savvy people. If nothing else, it's a way to get your feet wet while still looking.

Networking is really important as well.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Have you done an internship? That's kind of why you probably aren't getting much right now. Most of those positions are going to on campus recruiting folks or folks who went through their internship programs.

Going MBA route or anything?

I wasn't really planning on getting an MBA right outta the gate. I want to get some job experience before I go back to school but that is seeming more difficult than just continuing school.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I've been applying to a couple jobs in NYC.
My resume is unfornuately pretty empty... just an internship with a state legislator here in florida

Yeah, that's going to make it really tough, man. Keep applying to the financial institutions and such, but you're likely going to have to either look into going to an internship program or getting your graduate degree and going through on campus recruiting. The financial institutions are going to be insanely competitive for whatever minor entry level jobs that they have that aren't filled through their internship programs. That's kinda the route that most places are going now. I'd say that hedge funds are in the same boat, but others can comment on that since they'd know more than me.

One area to consider if you are hell bent on working now and not going to grad school would be insurance. The underwriting side and the analytical side both exist and are generally hiring. I see "stats" positions at insurers like AIG open quite often.

I'm gonna be blunt. It sounds like your resume is super, super thin. That's going to make it really difficult to nab a prestigious job. I'd really recommend you look into interning.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I wasn't really planning on getting an MBA right outta the gate. I want to get some job experience before I go back to school but that is seeming more difficult than just continuing school.

No doubt. That's 2016 for you. The job market is ****ing trash right now no matter what talking head you hear. I don't give a **** that we are sub 6% unemployed. The job market for professional gigs is very, very tough and you need a stacked resume to seemingly get something entry level if you aren't going through an internship program of some sort.

When I was looking to make the jump from law to compliance, I couldn't even get an interview with a year and a half experience under my belt from a top 20 law school. I made the move elsewhere, though, after a lot of looking and effort.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
As someone a little older who is making a career change:

1) Create a LinkedIn and connect with anyone and everyone you know. Your friend's cousin, your friend's little sister's best friend's cousin. The guy you met at a party in Philly, etc.

2) Learn A Programming Language or Three (Python, C++, SAS, SQL, etc.)

3) Be VERY good at Excel. Pivot Tables, VLookups, Graph, and even some logic functions are all necessary in today's wacky job world

4)Know what's going on with social media and trends. You don't have to be a master but be able to talk the talk.

5) If you have time this summer, get certified in a language or some kind of professional certificate. It'll help you standout.

6) Have a plan when applying to jobs. If you just throw your resume in the ocean of the www, you might have some success, but if you have something specific or an area in mind, it'll help.

7)Practice your interview skills. Not the "Where will you be in five years?" nonsense. But just have a good cold pitch down pat about you and what you're about, and also know the company you're applying to and ask intelligent questions. I interviewed in what would be a dream job over the summer, and I think one of the reasons I didn't get it was because the first of three interviews was only "decent" and if you can't convince someone to like you, it's going to be tough getting a job especially in more competitive markets.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Cannot recommend not getting an MBA right away enough. I am actually currently an MBA student after 6 years of work experience. It's a ripcord you can pull only one time in your career. Save it for when you really need it and I can guarentee that time isn't now. Not to mention, the caliber of school you can get into with no work experience is not worth the investment. PM me if you want to know more.

If you are interested in data science there are a lot of cool opportunities in the city, but you need to have some type of experience or provable skills/interest. If you aren't a STEM major it's a tougher road; look into classes at a local community college. Learn R. Start a blog. And from there apply to a DS bootcamp like Metis. I haven't done this so don't take my word for it, talk to people, but it's a path I looked at along the way.

For Financial Analyst roles there are a ton of companies in the city, NY, and NJ that hire undergrads. As others have mentioned though most do on campus recruiting at target schools and that is basically over. I would subscribe to LinkedIn Premium for a month and look up a ton of FSU grads at a Sr Analyst/Mgr level at companies you are interested in. Then cold email...it's easy to guess most corporate emails with a few tries. Your goal being a 15-20 min call to discuss how they have been successful. Goal of the call being another contact or eventually your resume passed along to HR. There's a lot more nuance to it I'd be happy to share over PM but that's the basics.

You are going to have to network your ass off. And try to get a Spring unpaid internship in FL.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Avoid getting the MBA right out of school at all costs. Two reasons: 1) you get much more out of your classes if you have real world work experience first, and 2) half the value of an MBA is the networking you do with your classmates – you lose that if you come in 4-5 years younger than everyone else.

WPBM had some good tips. In addition to what he posted I'd add that you should network your ass off in person, not just on LinkedIn.

As everyone else has said, look for internships now and be open-minded about startups when you graduate. Regarding the latter, do a search for resources that post startup jobs (AngelList is one, but there are others). Startups are always short on both cash and talent, so if you can stick it out for a year on low/no pay, you'll dramatically improve your resume and it will make it that much easier to get your next gig (which you will likely need anyway, as ~90% of startups fail).

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
When you do interviews, learn the company you're interviewing at. Read a little about the industry they're in. Put google news alerts on them.

I cannot tell you how many college kids I've interviewed who literally don't know where they're interviewing. "Well I know you sell insurance..." Thanks, genius.

What will you degree be in? BA/BS, major, etc.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
When you do interviews, learn the company you're interviewing at. Read a little about the industry they're in. Put google news alerts on them.

I cannot tell you how many college kids I've interviewed who literally don't know where they're interviewing. "Well I know you sell insurance..." Thanks, genius.

What will you degree be in? BA/BS, major, etc.

I'll be getting a BS with a double major of economics and political science

Reactions: STHLM

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If you can handle it financially, the startup scene is really a god-send for a lot of new graduates in STEM fields. They're less likely to take you to task over your experience, because your lack of experience makes you cheap, and cheap is the bottom line in most startups. They can offer a great opportunity to grow and advance quickly because you'll likely be asked to do things that are beyond your initial job description. You can really feel invested in the work you're doing because odds are you'll be offered some equity or possible stock options depending on how far along they are. Plus there tends to be a lot of turnover, which can really suck on one hand, but also helps you build a really solid network very quickly. "Oh yeah. I worked with John at <company_X> and he's awesome." goes WAY beyond anything your resume will ultimately do for you. I hire for positions a couple times a month and if someone in their network is in my network and has a good relationship they immediately go to the top of the list.

The problem of course is equity doesn't make student loan payments, and stock options that vest after 24 months of employment don't put food on the table. So depending on how you are in terms of debt and the like, you might be better off trying to start off on the low rung of a larger company. Yes, you'll probably end up spending 95% of your work day on crap that you dislike, but you're building your own brand equity by attaching your name to a company people recognize. I have 10 years of experience with web development and surrounding disciplines with 4 different companies. In all of that, the first thing I'm asked at a job interview is "tell me about the time you spent at <insert major tech company here>." 6 months. They care more about the 6 months I had with that company than the other 9 1/2 years in the industry.

Also, I echo the sentiments about holding off on your MBA. It's not going to give you a notable jump over your competition. I know a number of people who waited to go back for their MBA and for the most part they're doing much better than the people who got it before entering the work force for a few years.

Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, be humble. You need a job, so realize that any job is an opportunity. If you get an interview, learn about the company and ask lots of questions about the position while you're talking to them. Networking isn't just the people you know, it's the people they know. If you're #2 on the list at Company A, the hiring manager might get you to #1 at Company B because they know someone over there. Every time you're in a room with 3 people, or on a call with 1 person, you're making an impression that will spread to exponentially more people without you even realizing it.

Good luck. :cheers:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
All these posts really nail it.

I am a finance ex-pat and I love my career. You have to be open minded in the finance job market especially, it's just not that big and it's all reserved for target school kids. Finance is a great major for skill building, but honestly I'm glad I changed.

(context) I was a finance student from day 1 of undergrad and through grad school. Hated every minute of it, and all the internships I did, but I was good at it. Work in HR now for a big NYC entertainment company and I love it .

I was literally in your spot a year ago so I would love to discuss with you or give any further advice.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Cannot recommend not getting an MBA right away enough. I am actually currently an MBA student after 6 years of work experience. It's a ripcord you can pull only one time in your career. Save it for when you really need it and I can guarentee that time isn't now. Not to mention, the caliber of school you can get into with no work experience is not worth the investment. PM me if you want to know more.

If you are interested in data science there are a lot of cool opportunities in the city, but you need to have some type of experience or provable skills/interest. If you aren't a STEM major it's a tougher road; look into classes at a local community college. Learn R. Start a blog. And from there apply to a DS bootcamp like Metis. I haven't done this so don't take my word for it, talk to people, but it's a path I looked at along the way.

For Financial Analyst roles there are a ton of companies in the city, NY, and NJ that hire undergrads. As others have mentioned though most do on campus recruiting at target schools and that is basically over. I would subscribe to LinkedIn Premium for a month and look up a ton of FSU grads at a Sr Analyst/Mgr level at companies you are interested in. Then cold email...it's easy to guess most corporate emails with a few tries. Your goal being a 15-20 min call to discuss how they have been successful. Goal of the call being another contact or eventually your resume passed along to HR. There's a lot more nuance to it I'd be happy to share over PM but that's the basics.

You are going to have to network your ass off. And try to get a Spring unpaid internship in FL.

Avoid getting the MBA right out of school at all costs. Two reasons: 1) you get much more out of your classes if you have real world work experience first, and 2) half the value of an MBA is the networking you do with your classmates – you lose that if you come in 4-5 years younger than everyone else.

WPBM had some good tips. In addition to what he posted I'd add that you should network your ass off in person, not just on LinkedIn.

As everyone else has said, look for internships now and be open-minded about startups when you graduate. Regarding the latter, do a search for resources that post startup jobs (AngelList is one, but there are others). Startups are always short on both cash and talent, so if you can stick it out for a year on low/no pay, you'll dramatically improve your resume and it will make it that much easier to get your next gig (which you will likely need anyway, as ~90% of startups fail).

If you can handle it financially, the startup scene is really a god-send for a lot of new graduates in STEM fields. They're less likely to take you to task over your experience, because your lack of experience makes you cheap, and cheap is the bottom line in most startups. They can offer a great opportunity to grow and advance quickly because you'll likely be asked to do things that are beyond your initial job description. You can really feel invested in the work you're doing because odds are you'll be offered some equity or possible stock options depending on how far along they are. Plus there tends to be a lot of turnover, which can really suck on one hand, but also helps you build a really solid network very quickly. "Oh yeah. I worked with John at <company_X> and he's awesome." goes WAY beyond anything your resume will ultimately do for you. I hire for positions a couple times a month and if someone in their network is in my network and has a good relationship they immediately go to the top of the list.

The problem of course is equity doesn't make student loan payments, and stock options that vest after 24 months of employment don't put food on the table. So depending on how you are in terms of debt and the like, you might be better off trying to start off on the low rung of a larger company. Yes, you'll probably end up spending 95% of your work day on crap that you dislike, but you're building your own brand equity by attaching your name to a company people recognize. I have 10 years of experience with web development and surrounding disciplines with 4 different companies. In all of that, the first thing I'm asked at a job interview is "tell me about the time you spent at <insert major tech company here>." 6 months. They care more about the 6 months I had with that company than the other 9 1/2 years in the industry.

Also, I echo the sentiments about holding off on your MBA. It's not going to give you a notable jump over your competition. I know a number of people who waited to go back for their MBA and for the most part they're doing much better than the people who got it before entering the work force for a few years.

Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, be humble. You need a job, so realize that any job is an opportunity. If you get an interview, learn about the company and ask lots of questions about the position while you're talking to them. Networking isn't just the people you know, it's the people they know. If you're #2 on the list at Company A, the hiring manager might get you to #1 at Company B because they know someone over there. Every time you're in a room with 3 people, or on a call with 1 person, you're making an impression that will spread to exponentially more people without you even realizing it.

Good luck. :cheers:

I echo strongly what all 3 of these great posters have said.

An internship is huge. Networking is just as important. When I was a senior in college I was applying for every internship possible, going to every networking meeting, took free interview prep courses late in the evening twice a week, etc.

Do everything you can. Not sure how spiffy your LinkedIn profile is but create one if you haven't, start connecting with professors and other students. LinkedIn isn't what it was a few years ago but it is still useful. Also, get some letters of recommendation from your professors.

Also, I can't stress it enough so I will repeat myself. NETWORK. You will realize that it isn't what you know, it is who you know.

If you need any help just shoot me a PM. I would be happy to give you much more in depth advice.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
All these posts really nail it.

I am a finance ex-pat and I love my career. You have to be open minded in the finance job market especially, it's just not that big and it's all reserved for target school kids. Finance is a great major for skill building, but honestly I'm glad I changed.

(context) I was a finance student from day 1 of undergrad and through grad school. Hated every minute of it, and all the internships I did, but I was good at it. Work in HR now for a big NYC entertainment company and I love it .

You and I took the same route. Finance major and ended up in HR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad