Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Seriously, every time I read about a super star forward coming to Montreal. I keep rolling my eyes. Cammy has probably the last PPG forward to come to Montreal....

Cammy did have a single PPG in the playoff. Great signing! The injury killed his career.
Radulov, Cole, Toffoli, we had a few sign here

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Try for Marchessault for 3-4 years. If it doesn’t work out, make an offer to Toffoli for 3 years.

We need a winger to play with Dach until our 1st pick is ready.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Try for Marchessault for 3-4 years. If it doesn’t work out, make an offer to Toffoli for 3 years.

If KH swing a deal for a young top 6 player, I wouldn't aim at marchessault. The guys is good but he's old and small, which is never a good combo... i'm concern he wont be worth his cap hit by the time the team is set to compete. i'd prefer we go after Monahan, cheaper and can slide down on the bottom 6 as a vat player when it is time.

Reactions: themilosh

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

No thanks to either for 3+ yrs unless it's at a huge discount.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I remember this, he hemmed and hawed for 6 months, leading the habs on and ended up in Vancouver saying something along the lines of "in the end, I couldn't betray the leafs" or some BS like that.

The Habs had a 1 week window to sign him if I remember correctly.

After that week was over, it should have been clear that he wasn't coming to montreal. Gainey was a risk taker and perhaps thought he could convince sundin to join montreal, but from a public standpoint, sundin never lead the Habs on that he was coming to montreal.

Reactions: ngc_5128

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
They are far from PPG super star in the league lol. The only one is Radulov coming from Russia.
They were first liners for us. Toffoli right fit in playoffs with Suzuki and Caufield. That was our best line on road to finals. Got 35 goals in 82 games out of Toffoli. Flipped him for first pick. Good signing.

Radulov was our best player. Cole, Pacioretty line was good line. Made DD look like decent player.

Cammalleri was good player. Major reason for those upsets during Halakian trip to final 4

I'd Sign a UFA like Cole or Radulov/Toffoli this summer. Be A1 move

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Having Gainey would have helped lure Cammy also............he had built a Cup winner in Dallas.

The bottom line is, the cdn markets have such a disadvantage with taxes, and weather, and media and fan scrutiny, all accounting for why, almost NO star players want to come to Canada........there are just too many things, to ignore, and the agent driving the bus can also be another.

23-27 range....I think.

I dont think the tax issue is as bad as advertised if the contract is structured in a certain way, and if the player can retain their US residency while playing in Canada. If executed properly, the foreign tax credit should make that player's tax rate similar to their resident state.

Matthews for example is basically paying the same rate as if he were playing for the coyotes by utlizing the canada US tax treaty, which trumps the income tax act. Tavares on the other hand is in a pickle right now because his residency status is being questioned by the authorities.

Above all else, I think the major drawback to a Canadian market, and especially montreal is the lack of anonymity and invasion of privacy, coupled with TMZ style media.

The best symbol i can think of is when koivu got that stick in the eye during a playoff game, and some paper posted a front page story of koivu laying in his hospital room with the damaged eye. How can someone feel entitled to barge into any patient's room and then take such a picture? There's just no boundaries.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I dont think the tax issue is as bad as advertised if the contract is structured in a certain way, and if the player can retain their US residency while playing in Canada. If executed properly, the foreign tax credit should make that player's tax rate similar to their resident state.

Matthews for example is basically paying the same rate as if he were playing for the coyotes by utlizing the canada US tax treaty, which trumps the income tax act. Tavares on the other hand is in a pickle right now because his residency status is being questioned by the authorities.

Above all else, I think the major drawback to a Canadian market, and especially montreal is the lack of anonymity and invasion of privacy, coupled with TMZ style media.

The best symbol i can think of is when koivu got that stick in the eye during a playoff game, and some paper posted a front page story of koivu laying in his hospital room with the damaged eye. How can someone feel entitled to barge into any patient's room and then take such a picture? There's just no boundaries.
Matthews is taking home more vs playing in any US market for the same contract

Too slow.
Yup - it’s Stamkos or bust via UFA route for major addition IMO, IF he even hits UFA

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Just got out of bed. Just let you know I dreamed of Stamkos and Celebrini in Habs jersey.

Slaf-Suzuki-Celebrini
Stamkos-Dach-Caufield
Roy-Newhook-Armia
Anderson-Evans-Gallagher

Weird though Dvorak wasn’t there…

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
A reporter asked him about rumors to Habs and his words were “Mtl f*ck that”

Lost a lot of respect for Sundin upon seeing it - everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there’s a right & wrong way of going about things…

Hossa made it clear when he asked out of Ottawa, he wanted out of Canada (like Chara and many players to be Frank), and stayed radio silent after Heatley swap w Atlanta. Even when Gainey courted him multiple times, not a word via media / publicly
Wth? That's not even what he said lol. As if Gainey would have wasted time and assets on him if it was true.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
They were first liners for us. Toffoli right fit in playoffs with Suzuki and Caufield. That was our best line on road to finals. Got 35 goals in 82 games out of Toffoli. Flipped him for first pick. Good signing.

Radulov was our best player. Cole, Pacioretty line was good line. Made DD look like decent player.

Cammalleri was good player. Major reason for those upsets during Halakian trip to final 4

I'd Sign a UFA like Cole or Radulov/Toffoli this summer. Be A1 move

Read my comment... I'm talking about elite forward (with 82pts+) coming to Montreal. The last one has Cammy. I'm not talking about signing the average top 6 forward (50-60 pts+). We did not have any elite forward signing with Montreal for a long time. People are talking about signing Stamkos. I very much doubt he will sign with us.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Wth? That's not even what he said lol. As if Gainey would have wasted time and assets on him if it was true.

Sundin did swear when the question came up in a Toronto media scrum. I think he was super uncomfortable to be talking about that in public.

Whatever reservations sundin had, gainey must have thought he had a good shot at easing them. It didn't work.

Reactions: the

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Surprise there is not more talk about Sam Reinhart
Because he's not leaving the Panthers, Zito said they were working on re-sign him a month ago.

Not sure how they will fill the rest of the roster after that thought. Not their only player who needs a new contract and a salary bump.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Because he's not leaving the Panthers, Zito said they were working on re-sign him a month ago.

Not sure how they will fill the rest of the roster after that thought. Not their only player who needs a new contract and a salary bump.
He's coming off a 57 goal season and playing with two of the best players in the league, in a No tax state.

He'd have to be mad

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd prefer Monahan to Toffoli because of his ability to play wing and center. That could be really helpful if we have injuries at center.

Same here. Love Toffoli but he is 32+ now and I bet you his best days are behind him. He was great with his time with the Habs.

Monahan provides that physical strength element we need and probably cost less. Insurance at center and has a proven track record of working well with several of our top 6 assets. Also helps with faceoffs and won't complain if he has to play 3rd line.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Surprise there is not more talk about Sam Reinhart

I honestly don't know his game that well, so I can't comment on whether he'd be a good signing at the high cap hit and term he'll command.

But UFA's coming off high performing seasons in the pending UFA season have mixed results after they sign the big deal. Plus, he plays with Barkov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad