Post-Game Talk: Carbery Bunny

3 Stars

• Total voters

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Despite the fact that I still don't like Kakko, he is an NHL player and it can't be understated what an upgrade that is on some guys.

That being said, Chytil is the player they need back just because of positional need.

Also can we please, please, please, please start drafting centers again? That's so weird that we almost never do. Plugging in an Othmann or a Cuylle at center would have made a huge difference.

Then again Edstrom looked good there in his one game and the Rangers apparently hated that.
Edstrom is a full time NHL'er to start next season, I wouldn't worry. Same as Othmann, They're making the team over the Pitlick's and the Brodinski's of the organization. Berard gets a cup of coffee next year.

You have center help coming about 1 to 3 years more away. Edstrom, BMB, and Laba are legitimate bottom 6, fringe top 9 NHL center prospects. You can afford to not rush these guys when you have Zibanejad as a Hindenberg zeppelin taking up a spot and Trochek for at least 4 more years.

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think this is still a good team but injuries and mediocre replacement players have really caught up with them lately. Kakko coming back should help one way or another but yeah wouldn’t mind splitting up zibanejad and Kreider at this point except…still have no 3C with Chytil out and that’s what has really been killing them.
No Chytil for 3C and no viable options to address this problem. Posters asking to split Kreider and Zibanejad in these circumstances make me smh at big brains not seeing that it’s not an option.

Total scramble for shits and giggles:

Panarin - Zibanejad - Lafreniere
Kreider - Trocheck - Kakko
Cuylle - Goodrow - Vesey
Bonino - Brodzinski - Wheeler

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Pretty sure there were reports that coaching staff was happy with everyone’s fitness after camp

I don’t think he was out of shape I think he lost confidence and started playing a step behind which makes you look slow and weak
Agree

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Why are Kreider and Zibs only playing 12-13 minutes per night? Isn't your top line supposed to be out there.....a bit longer, like 18-20 minutes? If McDavid and Draisatl were only paying 12-13, there's be an extinction level event amongst the Oiler fan base.

Just take 5-6 minutes away from the third and fourth lines and redistribute it to the top line and that might......help?

Slaydagnar

Oct 18, 2015
Vero Beach, FL
Listening to kakko

He’s been skating for a month. A month!

And he’s been working out HARD. For a while now.

This leads me very much to believe that yes they A wanted him to heal but B they very much wanted him to get in shape. He wasn’t to start the year. No one can tell me otherwise. They probably reset him completely. Feel like they’re doing similar for chytil right now. He looked very strong tonight. Totally different than he did at the start of the year.
I agree makes senses. He was strong on his skates and actually made a couple nice hits. Prior to his injury his stat line he rarely threw one hit in a game.

Reactions: leetch99

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Why are Kreider and Zibs only playing 12-13 minutes per night? Isn't your top line supposed to be out there.....a bit longer, like 18-20 minutes? If McDavid and Draisatl were only paying 12-13, there's be an extinction level event amongst the Oiler fan base.

Just take 5-6 minutes away from the third and fourth lines and redistribute it to the top line and that might......help?

hahahahahahaha.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Great question, wrong premise.
Mika/Ck are line 2, not line1 at this point.

As for taking away the 3/4 minutes.
They got 8-10 minutes at even strength. Thats about right.
You cant wear down 1/2. Especially since 1/2 play pp minutes.

If theres no PP/PK nor any need to line match the order of lines should look something like
1-2-3-1-2-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-1-2-4-1-2-3-4
This ends up with 1/2 at about 20 minutes each, and 3-4 at 10 minutes each.
Thats the correct distribution.

PP / PK changes that significantly.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Kakko is a massive upgrade on the cavalcade of guys we've had that shouldn't be in the NHL, but I would still like to upgrade on Kakko too at some point.

He's one of the most inefficient scorers in the league.

Rangers have a bunch of RJ Barrett’s on this team that no one wants to give up on. The only prospect from the rebuild who has made himself safe is Lafreniere. Which would’ve been unfathomable in the preseason tbh

Short answer is they suck 5v5 because Mika still thinks Gallant is the coach and Laviolette is too polite to correct him.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Nice to snap the streak
Terrible power plays
Still outgoalied somehow
ehhh I mean they didn’t have anywhere near the offense we did and their one goal was a fluke tap in at near shoulder height right at the goal mouth combined with horrid defense. it’s hard to be out goalied when the caps had so few grade A chances anyway

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
ehhh I mean they didn’t have anywhere near the offense we did and their one goal was a fluke tap in at near shoulder height right at the goal mouth combined with horrid defense. it’s hard to be out goalied when the caps had so few grade A chances anyway
Yeah. Rangers were the better team. Could have been a bigger margin but the Rangers shooters have been absolutely snakebit this season. (Or, judges would accept ‘no scoring touch’).
In general, that looked like a win. The Capitals are bad for the game.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
One of the games where the analytics match the eye I think. They were more focused on defense in structure in the first. Started to separate in. The second other than the goal sequence and shortly thereafter, were the better team in the third.

Also Lafraniere is a monster. Toothless because he doesn’t score near as much as his play dictates. But he will be special once he gets it.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Short answer is they suck 5v5 because Mika still thinks Gallant is the coach and Laviolette is too polite to correct him.
I think this roster has proven time & again that coaching truly isn't the issue. I know you've alluded to it in other posts, but Gallant wasn't the problem we'd all like to believe he was. Not saying Gallant was the solution either, but this team continues to exhibit the exact same issues regardless who's behind the bench. Not only is this core not good enough, they refuse to play the type of game that will lend itself to playoff hockey. Mika is the prime culprit this year.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I think this roster has proven time & again that coaching truly isn't the issue. I know you've alluded to it in other posts, but Gallant wasn't the problem we'd all like to believe he was. Not saying Gallant was the solution either, but this team continues to exhibit the exact same issues regardless who's behind the bench. Not only is this core not good enough, they refuse to play the type of game that will lend itself to playoff hockey. Mika is the prime culprit this year.

Bingo. Laviolette is a much better coach and capable of making adjustments on the fly much better than uncle fester could’ve dreamed. The issue is the same lack of pushback we’ve seen since the Wilson incident. They still wilt when
a team gets in their face. We saw it against the Devils. Meier running Igor all series and Trouba only knocked him out once his tee times were booked

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Nice to snap the streak
Terrible power plays
Still outgoalied somehow
We make saves easy for opposing goalies because of the basic overall team fear of entering the dangerous areas on the ice either before the puck enters or when there might be a chance of body contact by a gnarly ,toothless , bearded ....or with any kind of facial haired defender ! There likely is a couple that would do it more often....but they lack foot speed .....and the guys with foot speed usually veer away after a low percentage shot attempt from outside that area .

Watch the Avalanche go to the net.....they are by far the best at it and we would be as well if Mika-Kreider-Kakko did it a lot more at 5 on 5 play . That is 3 big boys that would make goalies and defenders lives much harder in a 60 minute game .

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
We make saves easy for opposing goalies because of the basic overall team fear of entering the dangerous areas on the ice either before the puck enters or when there might be a chance of body contact by a gnarly ,toothless , bearded ....or with any kind of facial haired defender ! There likely is a couple that would do it more often....but they lack foot speed .....and the guys with foot speed usually veer away after a low percentage shot attempt from outside that area .

Watch the Avalanche go to the net.....they are by far the best at it and we would be as well if Mika-Kreider-Kakko did it a lot more at 5 on 5 play . That is 3 big boys that would make goalies and defenders lives much harder in a 60 minute game .
Kakko goes there, but that's not really his strength. He also tends to go and wait which is less effective than reading the play off the cycle and making your way to the net at the right time. In his defense though Zib and Kreider rarely get the cycle going effectively, Zibs always goes for the high risk high reward pass regardless of how covered the recipient is- not very conducive to a possession game.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
If anyone didn't understand the thread title, it's a reference to Cadbury Bunny.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00