Confirmed Signing with Link: CAR to Match MTL's Offer Sheet for Sebastian Aho (5 years, $8.454M AAV) - Pt. 5 | Mod Note in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
By The Numbers: Exploring Carolina’s Future Cap Situation

And this right here is why this deal works well for the Canes. Right during a time when we are going to need to figure out what to do with players like Hamilton, Mrazek, Martinook, Svechnikov and Necas the actual money we will be paying out to Aho will drop off. So even if you are under the impression that the Canes are cash strapped, when it comes to Aho its more about the cap hit than the actual cash being paid because its basically frontloaded 50% in the first 2 years.

In the end, what was supposed to be the biggest reason we wouldn't be able to do this is likely going to be one of the bigger reasons why we should.

Sorry but that article is embarrassing. Having to lay out half of the total owed in the first 12 months is not a cash flow win. It is exactly the opposite.

Have a 15 year mortgage? Just pay it off over the next 7, think how great your cash flow will be! Managing cash flow involves keeping as much cash on hand as reasonable possible. If cash flow is a problem you reduce payments not increase them.

This IS great for Aho’s cashflow, he can invest the 21mm and live on a combo of salary plus interest. 2mm per year and he doesn’t even need to touch the 21mm ( i get that this number will be smaller after tax) Use leverage to buy property. At the end of the 5 years he still has his 21mm invested.

Bottom line there is no benefit to the team to a front loaded deal. The money still has to come from somewhere and the longer the team holds it the more value they get from it.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
The vitriol between the fanbases over this is insane. MB made an offer that he would likely make to one of his own players. Carolina matched because it's a no brainer for them. The term is a little weak, but it's a good contract. Not sure why people are upset TBH.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
What a bunch of nonsense. In no way shape or form does this contract prevent Carolina from re-upping Aho as a UFA.

Carolina's last comparable player was Eric Staal, who inked a 7-year deal starting at age 24.
yeah. staal was a year away from ufa when he signed for 7 years, 8.25m/per. and that was when the cap was 60 million and karmanos was the owner. money isn't going to be an issue if they need to re-sign him. if he wants out like panarin did in cbj then it doesn't matter either way.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What a bunch of nonsense. In no way shape or form does this contract prevent Carolina from re-upping Aho as a UFA.

Carolina's last comparable player was Eric Staal, who inked a 7-year deal starting at age 24.

It always baffles me when people try the whole "guarantees he leaves" thing.

Getting to UFA I'd a negotiating tactic and nothing more. Not everyone is Jacob Trouba and dying to get off the team they are on. And if they are, they certainly don't sting 5 year offersheets that guarantee they are there for 5 years.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Just because you deny it to be the case doesn't mean for it to be true
There are def benefits to front loaded deals , it increases a players value to the sens and other internal cap teams 10 fold in the back end of the deal .

( not that they would trade aho unless he randomly starts sucking or something )

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Bottom line there is no benefit to the team to a front loaded deal. The money still has to come from somewhere and the longer the team holds it the more value they get from it.
That's simply not true. You sell your house and buy another one for a similar price. You netted enough to pay cash for your new house. Do you? If you're a fool. You put some down and borrow the rest. Why? Because interest rates, whether mortgages or business LOC's, are so low and also deductible that you can earn more with moderate investing than you pay out in interest. It's a way to leverage debt to your advantage.

TheFlowerist

Nov 16, 2005
How is this going to handcuff us? Citation needed

Because, you are likely to lose him by age 26 for nothing. He will be untradable. Who will shell out the goods for a rental? The Jackets are a good blueprint of what not to do. The fact he signed an OS that a majority of people consider to be on the lower end of the range signifies that he was actualy willing to leave, even though most will spin it as an effective 'negotiating tactic'. Plus playing hard ball with a future star is not a tactic I would employ if Im looking at keeping my best players long term.
Did WSH, PIT or EDM use hardline negotiating tactics with Ovi, Sid and MacDavid?
If I were Aho, Id be be disappointed to be treated in such manner and my guess is that he is.
Trust is an easy thing to break and the CAR management does not come off as particularly empathic.

It is a business so I get it, but with your star player....not advisable

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
The vitriol between the fanbases over this is insane. MB made an offer that he would likely make to one of his own players. Carolina matched because it's a no brainer for them. The term is a little weak, but it's a good contract. Not sure why people are upset TBH.
Montreal fans are mad because they didn't get the guy they deserved to get from the undeserving team. Canes fans are feisty because Habs fans declared the team unable to match because of the up front money and then try to talk about how damaging it is for the Canes to match. Then there is the "Canes lowballed Aho and got what they deserved" when it was all a bargaining process. Don't forget MB's claim that Aho absolutely wanted to play in Montreal and he'll be there in 5 years. Aho's agent just got tired of the back and forth and found another way to get his client the contract he wanted.

Canes management probably learned a lesson on negotiating with a high profile RFA that wants a shorter than 8 year deal. Was it worth taking the hard line stance on 8 years if they weren't going to overpay? I don't think so. It cost them money up front, but not in the long run. Aho gets paid, and early thanks to the offer sheet terms. It's business folks. We take the fandom a lot more seriously than the players do.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad