Confirmed with Link: [CAR/OTT] Rees to Ottawa for a 6th round pick

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Disappointing his development took such a nosedive, but I largely blame the failure of the AHL situation. For all the darts, we've now turned a 2nd & 4th into 2 6th round picks
It's weird. He is an RFA after this year with no arbitration rights and no control, so the Canes could have kept him for more AHL depth if they wanted.

Instead, they would probably need to sign a veteran AHL player assuming they ice a full AHL affiliate next year. I think that says what they think of Rees after this season.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's weird. He is an RFA after this year with no arbitration rights and no control, so the Canes could have kept him for more AHL depth if they wanted.

Instead, they would probably need to sign a veteran AHL player assuming they ice a full AHL affiliate next year. I think that says what they think of Rees after this season.
Could be a player-initiated request or an outcome in a discussion of the future. Hard to blame a Canes prospect for wanting a clearer AHL situation. If the Checkers boys were frustrated in waiting for the never-coming call up, I don't want to think what these guys loaned to some other team's AHL team think about it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Well, if that is who he wanted, this trade would not be the first time he could say that.
Probably, but now it's a closed book as far as Carolina goes. It's not like Nick Robertson has yet amounted to anything much yet, but he is playing NHL games now. Rees now has zero chance of doing that in Carolina, even if the chances were slim before.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I felt like he probably was pretty frustrated with our org (I know I would have been in his position) and his contract was up this year. The right thing to do would be to let him go seek a better opportunity elsewhere as he’s at a pretty critical point in his career if he still wants to make a serious go at being a full time nhl’er. This way at least we got something in return.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Opens up a slot for other players to be signed. Clearly played much better LY and perhaps was a victim of lack of minor league affiliation.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Given the Rees trade, the 3 prospects involved in the Guentzel trade, the Webber and Sleppets moves, it feels like we've identified several of our prospects that we want to sign for next season. This would hopefully bode well for a new AHL affiliation.

I mean, there's likely half a dozen or more players that are probably ready for AHL positions in our prospect pool, not including those guys already under contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00