Confirmed with Link: [CAR/OTT] Rees to Ottawa for a 6th round pick

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Man he has really fallen, was very excited about him as a cheap bottom 6 pest a few years ago…

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The trade deadline is a deadline for playoff roster eligibility. You can still sign or trade players after the deadline, they just can't be on your roster for the playoffs. Which is not a concern for Ottawa.

Any player under contract traded after the deadline is ineligible to play in the NHL for the rest of the season. This includes both the remaining Regular Season as well as the Playoffs.

Any UFA signed after the deadline is eligible to play the remainder of the Regular season, but ineligible for the Playoffs.

Any player to whom a team owns draft rights is eligible to sign after the deadline, and eligible for both the Regular Season and Playoffs. Provided that the Player’s draft rights were not traded after the deadline—if traded the player would be ineligible to play the rest of the season and thus ineligible to even sign a contract for the current season, but could sign a contract starting the next season.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Heading into even this year I thought he had a good chance for the bottom six. Felt like he, Suzuki and Pono were pretty close for the one spot that was obviously went to Pono.

I’m glad we are giving him a restart, he deserved better. I think he’s not only a victim of the AHL situation but also Rod’s generally preference for some experience in the bottom six. I think other teams would’ve given him a shot a couple of years ago. I have a hard time believing he won’t get some games at the NHL level. Good luck Rees!

Last edited:

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Best of luck to him and I hope this was a move to help him find a better spot with an easier path to some time in the league. Loved loved loved his style of play and his tenacity. If he had been just a slightly bigger frame I think he would have been on the big club here sooner…. And he may not have had as many little bumps and nicks as seemed to pick up every time he seemed to be getting close to breaking through and forcing the hand of the coach etc…. Really do hope he gets a chance with Ottawa or even beyond.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Any player under contract traded after the deadline is ineligible to play in the NHL for the rest of the season. This includes both the remaining Regular Season as well as the Playoffs.

Any UFA signed after the deadline is eligible to play the remainder of the Regular season, but ineligible for the Playoffs.

Any player to whom a team owns draft rights is eligible to sign after the deadline, and eligible for both the Regular Season and Playoffs. Provided that the Player’s draft rights were not traded after the deadline—if traded the player would be ineligible to play the rest of the season and thus ineligible to even sign a contract for the current season, but could sign a contract starting the next season.
I stand corrected!

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
The trade deadline is a deadline for playoff roster eligibility. You can still sign or trade players after the deadline, they just can't be on your roster for the playoffs. Which is not a concern for Ottawa.
Stone cold truthiness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad