Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR/MTL] Habs accept Kotkaniemi offer sheet (1 year, $6.1M), 2022 1st, 2022 3rd [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You just don't get it. Both Teravainen and Necas were drafted in the first round as centers and both successfully transitioned to Wing. Even Aho started at wing. It's a much easier position to master as a young player than C.

Oh I get it since I’ve seen KK play his entire career. He is not a winger. His skill set does not make him a good option on the wing. And why would you need to develop him on the wing when he’s been an NHL centre for three years already. It makes no sense. Sounds like you paid for a guy not expecting to get him.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think the $20 signing bonus told the World what this is really all about.

I don't think there's any doubt the Aho situation played a part, but the talk about how they never wanted KK and never expected Montreal not to match the offer sheet is ridiculous

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
I don't think there's any doubt the Aho situation played a part, but the talk about how they never wanted KK and never expected Montreal not to match the offer sheet is ridiculous

i don’t think the canes owner expected Bergevin to just move on so quickly or even be able to work a replacement

That’s a $ 6,000,020 mistake that’s about to play wing for him now and that mistake can’t play the wing very well

Kotkaniemi is now the $6,000,020 man it has a nice ring to it like the old tv show

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co

carolina got their winger

morgan-freeman-good-luck.gif

That's not going to end well. He's downright terrible on the wing.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Lovely to see how obsessed some Habs fans are regarding this issue. Seems that Canes hit them in the soft parts. :popcorn:

If, and I say if Kotkaniemi breaks out in Hurricanes, it just underlines the poor development Montreal did with him. It doesn't matter if he plays wing or center. Canes have luxury to play him on the wing. If that works, fine. If he can jump in center spot when someone is hurt, that's fine too. It is luxury when they are trying to build deep team.

Then if he doesn't improve heavily, we can discuss on that issue when time is due.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
i don’t think the canes owner expected Bergevin to just move on so quickly or even be able to work a replacement

That’s a $ 6,000,020 mistake that’s about to play wing for him now and that mistake can’t play the wing very well

Kotkaniemi is now the $6,000,020 man it has a nice ring to it like the old tv show

If he doesn't work out, we don't qualify him and he moves on. Nothing major lost. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

But if he does work out, we got a good Top 6 player for a steal of a price, just like they did with Teravainen and Nino Niederreiter.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Lovely to see how obsessed some Habs fans are regarding this issue. Seems that Canes hit them in the soft parts. :popcorn:

If, and I say if Kotkaniemi breaks out in Hurricanes, it just underlines the poor development Montreal did with him. It doesn't matter if he plays wing or center. Canes have luxury to play him on the wing. If that works, fine. If he can jump in center spot when someone is hurt, that's fine too. It is luxury when they are trying to build deep team.

Then if he doesn't improve heavily, we can discuss on that issue when time is due.

The fanbase of the team who got a player offer sheeted is interested in talking about the player and the situation? damn crazy

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Oh I get it since I’ve seen KK play his entire career. He is not a winger. His skill set does not make him a good option on the wing. And why would you need to develop him on the wing when he’s been an NHL centre for three years already. It makes no sense. Sounds like you paid for a guy not expecting to get him.
You conveniently ignored the TT and Necas examples. FYI, playing KK on the wing is a placeholder, as he'll slot at 2C when Trocheck's deal expires. Context matters. Try it sometime but then again you claimed he'd be a 4C.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The interesting underlying story that we may or may not ever find out is what did the Canes offer the Habs for KK when they tried to trade for him the week before.

One would have to assume using logic that the Canes wanting a trade first and OS as a last resort (otherwise why offer a trade) wouldn’t of lowballed Habs on KK. So if the Canes were knowingly ok losing a late 1st & 3rd rd picks….then the trade offer likely wasn’t a ton less value…..likely between a 2nd rd pick or 2nd rd plus (maybe even a 1st rd pick or prospect(s) of equal value)……and the Habs rejected that offer bc they were high on KK. So likely the trade value wasn’t much different then OS compensation the Habs received…..the likely tipping point for the Habs was the cap hit on the OS and what it means thereafter (not the difference between the trade offer & OS compensation).

didimentionlarseller

Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
If he doesn't work out, we don't qualify him and he moves on. Nothing major lost. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

But if he does work out, we got a good Top 6 player for a steal of a price, just like they did with Teravainen and Nino Niederreiter.

I don't think $6,000,020 and two draft picks for kotka to play wing is the steal of a price you think it is I do hope he does well but these terms are going to put expectation on him

the Habs shouldn't have drafted him at 3 - Carolina didn't have to come in and double down on our mistake

Reactions: snowkiddin

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You conveniently ignored the TT and Necas examples. FYI, playing KK on the wing is a placeholder, as he'll slot at 2C when Trocheck's deal expires. Context matters. Try it sometime but then again you claimed he'd be a 4C.

I’m not ignoring anything. You’ve likely never seen KK play a game other than against your team. He is not a winger. He’s currently developing as a centre and has for three seasons but now you’ll place him as a winger only to switch again and make him a centre. It’s silly and points to the fact it wasn’t thought through.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't think $6,000,020 and two draft picks for kotka to play wing is the steal of a price you think it is

I don't think you realize how little we care about the picks or his price.

This is literally no different than using the picks for a trade deadline acquisition. If the acquisition works out, a deal is made that benefits both sides. If he doesn't, both sides move on.

didimentionlarseller

Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
I don't think you realize how little we care about the picks or his price.

This is literally no different than using the picks for a trade deadline acquisition. If the acquisition works out, a deal is made that benefits both sides. If he doesn't, both sides move on.

nothing matters

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I’m not ignoring anything. You’ve likely never seen KK play a game other than against your team. He is not a winger. He’s currently developing as a centre and has for three seasons but now you’ll place him as a winger only to switch again and make him a centre. It’s silly
Yes you are and your post confirms it. Do you not realize that Teravainen started his career as a center for the Blackhawks? I saw KK play in the payoffs before he was benched. Your assertion that a C can't be effective at W is absurd.

Reactions: cptjeff

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
The interesting underlying story that we may or may not ever find out is what did the Canes offer the Habs for KK when they tried to trade for him the week before.

One would have to assume using logic that the Canes wanting a trade first and OS as a last resort (otherwise why offer a trade) wouldn’t of lowballed Habs on KK. So if the Canes were knowingly ok losing a late 1st & 3rd rd picks….then the trade offer likely wasn’t a ton less value…..likely between a 2nd rd pick or 2nd rd plus (maybe even a 1st rd pick or prospect(s) of equal value)……and the Habs rejected that offer bc they were high on KK. So likely the trade value wasn’t much different then OS compensation the Habs received…..the likely tipping point for the Habs was the cap hit on the OS and what it means thereafter (not the difference between the trade offer & OS compensation).
It would be interesting to know but even if it was a comparable offer the Canes then would have had KK as an unsigned RFA and worked on a longer deal (or a bridge deal) at a lower AAV. That has value too.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yes you are and your post confirms it. Do you not realize that Teravainen started his career as a center for the Blackhawks? I saw KK play in the payoffs before he was benched. Your assertion that a C can't be effective at W is absurd.

You can’t read if you think my assertion is that a C can’t be a winger. Nice try though. Have fun with your $6m 20 point converted winger.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
With no disrespect to montreal, i cant see this guy not benefitting from being around aho, staal, and brindamour

There are so many different connections and parallels that these three can relate and mentor with KK is in good hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad